whats your best cal/oz foods

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
+1 on the snickers....

Smoked cheddar is also pretty amazing...we usually bring a small block and eat it the first couple of days.

Also, Justin's Nut Butters are available in packets. 1 oz has 200 cal I believe and are pretty tasty on crackers, or tortillas. Heck, they are good right out of the packet..

unm1136

WKR
I really want to try real pemmican. Jerky pulverized in the blender, dried blueberries and cherries, maybe some pine nuts, and moistened to a doughy consistency with rendered fat. Stuffed into sausage casings, and eaten straight, grilled like sausage, or mashed up in hot water. Calorie dense, portable, and shelf stable.

pat

unm1136

WKR
Unm1136 , what type rendered fat would you use ? Beef or pork ?

Based on all I have read any saturated (solid at room temp) fat would work, from coconut oil to schmaltz to tallow to suet. My mexican heritage screams for pork fat, and my grandfather, until his death, bemoaned Mcdonald's going from tallow to beef flavored vegetable oil for their french fries. Hell, even white chocolate (which has no chocolate in it, just the saturated fat from the chocolate) would work.

The purpose of fat in this recipe is to bind the other ingredients together and provide a lot of calories. A back country hunting meal bonanza.

pat

Shrek

WKR
Smoked pork fat ! I'm gonna have to try it. I'll get a friend to make up a batch of venison jerky . Any seasoning and proportion suggestions? Some red pepper comes to mind to add to the sweetness of the fruit.
As for nuts it appears macadamia nuts are king at 7.77 cal/gr followed by pecans , walnuts , and almonds. Not sure of the order but all well over 6.5 calories per gram. Might have to add candied pecans to my list along with macadamia nuts.

Last edited:

unm1136

WKR
I am not at a computer right now that will let me cut and paste, but I just googled "pemmican recipe" and came up with recipies and instructions from Mark's Daiily Apple, Wilderness College, and Nature Skills, with several variations, all of which seem consistent with the concept I have previously read about.

pat

unm1136

WKR
I really want to try real pemmican. Jerky pulverized in the blender, dried blueberries and cherries, maybe some pine nuts, and moistened to a doughy consistency with rendered fat. Stuffed into sausage casings, and eaten straight, grilled like sausage, or mashed up in hot water. Calorie dense, portable, and shelf stable.

pat

http://www.hungryhammockhanger.com/

Video of making pemmican. Like he says I would avoid supermarket lard which is hydrogenated, but properly rendered pork fat should be OK. It would take some experimenting. I would also probably bloom at least half of the spices in the fat, rather than mixing them dry into the jerky. I would also need to run the nutritional information myself, since his claim of 400kcal/oz seems a bit high.

pat

Ironman8

WKR
PB Honey and bacon sammies. They weigh 4-6 oz per and they are well over 800 calories depending on how much bacon you use :)

How long will those keep in the field with the bacon on it?

Also, HPG has a recipe up on their site that sounds pretty good....Just havent had a chance to make it yet. Maybe this deer season. I'd have to run the calorie info, but iirc there's plenty of nuts and other calorie dense food in there.

Last edited:

unm1136

WKR
Dare I mention fruit cake?
Awesome shelf life, will make Grandma happy & guaranteed recipe for a clean drop.
Hunt'nFish

Actually I have a kick butt fruitcake recipe. The last time I made I kept a loaf in a rubbermaid container on the counter for a year without it going stale or moldy. A slice of that, lightly toasted (or not, in camp) with and individual Philly cream cheese packet to smear on...YUM! Those individual Philly packets also make you MH stroganoff much creamier.

pat