What’s your experience with SUBSONIC 300 Blackout?

h2so4

WKR
This is second hand, but Black Hills 198gr Dual Performance, Whitetail, Good success. No pics. the copper bullet expanded as hoped / designed for.

Last edited:
Works fine on hogs and whitetails out to 100 yds..honestly if I had to do it again I probably wouldn't...too much of niche gun for me.

I loaded up some 200 SMK's with about 11.5-12gr CFE-BLK for shooting steel. Lots of fun suppressed, but I only loaded about 2 mags worth and haven't seen any reasonably priced heavy bullets since. I only shot the one batch of reload subs and really want to do some more. My powder will be CFE-BLK because I was able to find a few lbs and I didn't bother trying to get a bunch of other powders at high price which would take me forever to use up.

I have 1 box of Hornady 190 SUB-X that I'm saving for when I can play around with my chronograph and get a bit more experience loading subs. These will be my hog hunting rounds when I get around to it, and I hear good things about that bullet.

Tahoe1305

WKR
7.8g of Lil Gun w/190subx got me 1025fps with a 8” barrel. Haven’t shot anything with it yet.

JRS3

FNG
My recap with Hornady 190gr subs.

Shot a WT doe at 60 yards center shoulder and she dropped. Loaded up my gear and went to retrieve her and she was gone. I trailed her for 30 yards, looked for 2 hours that evening then the next day, but never found her.

2nd WT doe was at 75 yards. Dropped her with a behind the shoulder shot angling into the offside shoulder. She hit the dirt, kicked around for 30 seconds, got up and ran off. Again, about a 30 yard blood trail and never found her.

Was with a friend last weekend. He shot a 4 1/2 year old WT buck with the 190 gr as well around 50 yards. Hit it behind the shoulder, angling into the offside shoulder. Deer dropped then ran off. We trailed it for 200 yards and lost the trail. We went back later and found the buck another 200 yards away. The bullet penciled and buried in the offside shoulder, with little expansion.

We are both trying to buy a few of the various expanding, petal, heavy subs by various boutique companies to see if they perform much better.

z987k

WKR
Sounds like subsonic doesn't have enough energy to do the job...
I load 405gr subs in my 44 lever and shoot blacktail at 100yd without an issue.

You could go even bigger in a 458 cal.

300 is a hard no for me in subs hunting but north of maybe .375/350gr it starts to work. That said shot placement still matters more than anything else.