Whats your favorite calling sequence- coyotes

Beendare

WKR
Whats your fav calling sequence for the different times of the year?
Currently January…but this thread can evolve with the seasons.

I usually just use a lightning jack…then a pup chatter type sequence.…along with a feather decoy.

I do get some hard hunted coyotes (?) that hang up a long ways out that cannot see the decoy.

WCB

WKR
I usually start with a rodent squeal then jump right into pup in distress, puppy distress, Ki Yi and just rotate through a couple of those...at least that has been the ticket for the last 3 years where I hunt. Rabbit sounds barely get played in my callers. Fawn in distress will get thrown out if Im around a wintering deer herd.

Locator howls first, mostly because i like to hear them howl back! It is also nice to be able to predict where they will be coming from. Then I go into rabbit distress sounds. couple minutes on, couple minutes off. Sometimes i will go with a woodpecker distress, fawn distress, instead of rabbit. if nothing comes in and I'm getting cold and bored, at the end i will try a hail mary and put on a raccoon fight sound.

Good Luck happy hunting!

Reactions: MJB

MJB

WKR
Locator first, then distress

If mating all kinds of yote talk.

If pupping pup and yote talk.

If things get tough I try to create a natural scene in nature or at least in my head. I will mouth call while the ecaller is on and will tie 550 cord to some bushes and move them while calling.

If they hang up I'm calling to much. I will stop and just watch them till they're gone then I leave.

My favorite distress is a canine puppy in distress. I recorded my pup Zita and that call doesn't fail if I did my part.

It totally depends. For prey I have the best luck with certain rabbit sounds. I'll throw out some coon sounds, rodents, pup distress/fight, howls, fox fights, fox distress, etc.

The other day I was about done after playing a few different prey sounds and a pup fight. Some coyotes started howling during the end of the pup fight. I threw out a howl and here they came. They hung up around 800-1200 yards and mouse squeaks got them in the rest of the way.

I have tried bird distress and kitten distress a decent amount and have had zero luck.

Northpark

WKR
Challenge howl then quiet for a couple minutes then go into a quiet cottontail distress for 5 minutes then quiet for 5 minutes then loud jackrabbit distress for 5 minutes followed by another challenge howl then sit and be quiet for 10 minutes before leaving. I’ve had dogs come in at all stages.