What's your favorite stove?

TheJuice

WKR
Just bought my first 4 season shelter. A SO 6-man and looking for the right stove.

Which ones have you guys used in this size of shelter? Like to hear your pros and cons.

Looking for enough heat dry out clothes good and light weight as possible.

Many seem to use Kifaru and Titanium Goat. I recently read that kifaru was coming out with a new stove. Supposed to be lighter? You should get a lot of good info on here soon.

I have a large Kifaru for my 8 man tipi and I love the size of it. I'm usually horse packing it though. The problem with the Kifaru is its nowhere near airtight you have to feed it constantly, I finally started telling guys that come along to make sure their sleep system is adequate for the overnight low temp because I won't keep the stove going all night. Other than burn time it's a great stove, it's the only one I have used. I'm on the hunt for something better for this year so it will be interesting to see if Kifaru is coming out with something new.

You can make a pretty air tight stove from cheep s.s. stock pots from Walmart.The last one I made came out about the size of my 6 man tipi in it's stuff sack,so I put a trash compacter bag inside of it and pack the tipi inside
Tim

Last edited:
OP
TheJuice

TheJuice

WKR
I have a large Kifaru for my 8 man tipi and I love the size of it. I'm usually horse packing it though. The problem with the Kifaru is its nowhere near airtight you have to feed it constantly, I finally started telling guys that come along to make sure their sleep system is adequate for the overnight low temp because I won't keep the stove going all night. Other than burn time it's a great stove, it's the only one I have used. I'm on the hunt for something better for this year so it will be interesting to see if Kifaru is coming out with something new.

I've heard bits and pieces about Kifaru's new stove also. I'm looking for one for the CO archery elk opener.....only 3 months now..Can't hardly wait. Mainly want to bring it to dry out clothes if we get a lot of rain.

Aron, I'm sure you are getting pounded with this question, but do you think anyone could get one of these new stoves by the 1st-15th of August?

Any experience with the SO stoves. Saw an article with it set up floorless. The guy experimented with digging a square hole the size of the box to get some extra volume. He found out that 4" was too deep as the bottom was too far below the draft and 2" was decent as the wood was high enough to burn and gained some extra volume in the process.

I've though about building one also but work this summer has got me busier than a cat on a tin roof.............:)

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have an SO medium. I love the heat output, and weight.
ujynemur.jpg

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
i have a kifaru med & now run a ti goat 22 inch cylinder for my 4 man tipi & love it,its not as tough as the kifaru but burn time is awsum because you can use such long logs,way less time cutting wood too.

OP
TheJuice

TheJuice

WKR
I know a lot of guys here are big Kifaru fans. I'm sure I will be also when my first bit of K-gear shows up (Bikini/DT1).
I'm sure they are fantastic stoves, but dang heavy. Although I'm sure that's why they are as durable as everyone says they are.

Are the other box stoves and or cylinders real flimsy? Seen a assembly video of the SO and it looks pretty delicate. I'm OK with that to a point, especially to get it as light as possible.

OP
TheJuice

TheJuice

WKR
That sounds good. What shelter do you use it in and how long of a pipe are you running?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a second generation 6 from SO as well as the LBO. It heats both very well.

8 foot pipe is plenty.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have a Kifaru Large and an Ed T 16" cylinder stove.

Both are great stove for their designed applications.

Looking forward to see what Kifaru as come up with. Should be interesting indeed!

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
I know a lot of guys here are big Kifaru fans. I'm sure I will be also when my first bit of K-gear shows up (Bikini/DT1).
I'm sure they are fantastic stoves, but dang heavy. Although I'm sure that's why they are as durable as everyone says they are.

Are the other box stoves and or cylinders real flimsy? Seen a assembly video of the SO and it looks pretty delicate. I'm OK with that to a point, especially to get it as light as possible.

the ti goat cylinder, my long one is a bit delicate,it will dent in the middle when heating water but when i take it apart,i just put it on a flat surface & put some weight on it & the dents come out.but it will take a 3inch x20inch long log i put 3 of then in & get about 2hours of burn time.only thing i dont like is the door its a bit cheap & wont let you dampen down the stove enough at times if your wood is real dry.

OP
TheJuice

TheJuice

WKR
Thanks Luke,

How much does your 16" Ed T weigh with pipe. I'm guessing I'll run a 8' pipe in a SO 6.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Not sure to be honest....I think it might be interested in Ed's website though.

Handy little stove for sure, but like many others on here interested to see what these new stoves from Kifaru are all about though stove season is finally about over so I wont' really be needing one again for 3-4 months so no worries there ;)