What's Your Favorite Tactic for Hunt Early Archery Elk?

Berzurker

FNG
Stalking elk with a bow is hunting on hard mode, especially in otc units.

Find a watering hole with lots of sign, get wind as right as you can, and be there in the early/late hours of the day.

Alternatively, hunt with a partner and call/rake. When within a few hundred yards of a talking bull, have you buddy set up 50-100 yards behind you and continue to call the bull in.

Really think treestand hunting is way overlooked. But to be effective you really need to know the area u are hunting
Treestand hunting is definitely not the sexy way to kill elk but I believe it to be the most effective way to kill an elk the first week of the season

I always hear people say "the elk weren't talking". If you walked into a room full of people and everyone was standing around silent, would you just stand there and be silent with them......or start talking to them? They'll talk once you do........unless you just sound totally out of place.
Great analogy! I agree 1000 percent and will start some conversations come Sept 2

jlong17

FNG
I'll shoot the first legal animal to cross my path... so water in the early season is definitely my preference

Marble

WKR
I'll shoot the first legal animal to cross my path... so water in the early season is definitely my preference
I'm the same. I learned a long time ago that in OTC units, don't be choosie.

Twice I've screwed myself. One time I had 6 bulls in shooting range, from 25 to 425, but could hear the herd bull screaming his head off. So I waited...I ate my tag.

Another time i second guessed if I could get a to an animal. Let it go. It was a bad decision. Could have gotten a bull and a cow .

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Chambers4

FNG
Just curious how everyone likes to hunt early archery elk? I put in for a draw unit this year but usually I hunt OTC high pressured elk. This year I plan on taking a different approach and covering more ground by glassing than by foot. The areas I hunt are not well suited for this type of hunting but I know of a few points and ridges that should be beneficial. It seems like the last few years, the elk have not been very vocal early, so I hope this change brings better success. How do you hunt early season elk?
We have had good luck early walking until we get into fresh elk sign and if we can’t spot them or they aren’t talking setting up every few hundred yards with a caller and a shooter setup. Bugling early or late in the day to try to get a response, if that’s not working we do a lot of cold calling setups with cow calls. Maybe mixing a few weak bugles and some raking in if the situation is right. We don’t get to challenge bugling and chuckling until we get one fired up but bugling can work good or bad all situation dependent. If we can spot one and move in without calling we do instead as sometimes calling sends them the other way but mainly later in the season. Sometimes we sit water but being patient and sitting there all day is tough to do. We mainly try to draw tags with limited tags to make for a less pressured hunt. Being in an OTC unit with tons of people can be very frustrating. Good Luck

Chaser96

FNG
I’m going otc colorado archery this year for my first elk hunt and this is really helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to hangout in earshot of a bedding area and call them in when they get up and around from their daytime nap. I think i'll sleep in and let the early birds have the morning hunt ;)

kentuckybowman

Lil-Rokslider
I like to let other hunters bust the herd out of their beds and have them stampede by me so I can get a shot. This works well especially opening few days.