What’s your go to Sitka product?

KRATOCT

FNG
I primarily hunt whitetails in northern Michigan. For that I have scent lok early season and very bulky Cabelas late season jacket and bibs.
For my first CO elk hunt earlier this month, I ended up picking up First lite merino top and bottom base layers, Klamath fleece hoodie and FL Uncomphadre puffy and Cabelas space rain jacket and pants. I want to invest in higher quality thin/lightweight/warm layering systems rather than the bulky gear.
I’m very happy with the first lite gear but after talking with a guy I work with that has been hunting in extreme conditions out west for many years, he says he’ll put Sitka above FL for warmth and quality any day. I’m not trying to make this a debate of which clothing manufacture is better and I do realize this was just one guy’s opinion but I respect that opinion and hearing that was enough for me to want to try a couple articles of Sitka.
Planning another trip out west next September/October for elk, not really sure what region at this point. I would like something that would pair well with those conditions as well as the mid season to colder, down to single digits sitting in a tree stand, conditions late season white tail hunting. Waterproof resistance to rain or snow may be desired for an outer layer if the cabelas rain gear could become obsolete.
I know I’m trying to cover various regions and seasons and I know this will result in many different clothing options but I’d like to hear about your favorite Sitka gear whether it’s a simple base layer or a complex parka and why. I want to start accumulating quality gear and if I’m happy with it, continue adding to the gear tote. Thanks

A good dual purpose piece for western and whitetail is traverse cold weather hoodie/gradient hoodie (same material). Quiet, durable, warm. Also, the mountain pants work well for both. Can wear them into some pretty cold temps when active, but for stationary treestand hunting they are more of a cool weather pants. Core lightweight hoodie goes with me on every hunt from whitetails, elk, turkey, waterfowl, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I primarily hunt in Texas. The Sitka pieces I love the most are my core lightweight hoodie and jet stream jacket. I even wear the core lightweight hoodie as a fishing shirt at the coast, its perfect for that. When it actually does get cold in Texas, I just layer up under my jet stream and I'm perfectly fine.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, this is a Ford vs Chevy argument. I have some Sitka, FL and Kuiu. My favorite piece that I own is the FL Furnace merino wool top. It is the warmest garment per weight that I own. I wear it on cool mornings out west chasing elk and at home while hunting whitetails. Oh yeah and I always wear it under my waders when I go duck hunting in January. I like certain pieces from each manufacturer but if I had to pick just one it would be the Furnace because it is so warm and I use it for so many different things throughout the year.

OP
K

KRATOCT

FNG
IMO, this is a Ford vs Chevy argument. I have some Sitka, FL and Kuiu. My favorite piece that I own is the FL Furnace merino wool top. It is the warmest garment per weight that I own. I wear it on cool mornings out west chasing elk and at home while hunting whitetails. Oh yeah and I always wear it under my waders when I go duck hunting in January. I like certain pieces from each manufacturer but if I had to pick just one it would be the Furnace because it is so warm and I use it for so many different things throughout the year.
Not trying to make this a Chevy Ford Dodge argument as stated in the original post. I listed the products I have and I do not have anything Sitka. Want to try some so wondering what products of Sitka are people’s favorite.

With that being said I appreciate you mentioning the FL furnace. I’ll definitely take a look. If people state they have a preference over Sitka, that wasn’t the intention of the post but it won’t bother me any. I just want a good well rounded arsenal of gear for the types of hunting I do. Brand/camo pattern don’t really effect my decision.

Maverick1

WKR

@KRATOCT

I realize you are asking for direction on a specific BRAND (Sitka) of clothing. But instead of just jumping to another brand maybe you should look at the individual pieces and the part of the puzzle that they fill. From your post:

"First lite merino top and bottom base layers:"
Whether made by First Lite or Sitka, merino wool is a very good choice as a baselayer. Merino wicks moisture well, breathes, keeps stink away for days on end, and is great for temperature regulation. It is also very heavy and bulky compared to synthetics. While you did not specify which particular First Lite garment you wore, the comparable Sitka merino wool is going to be similar in weight and material properties (bulk). Said differently, if you are looking to go from the First Lite to Sitka merino, there will likely be little weight savings, (maybe a couple of ounces) or bulk. If you want to reduce weight, you should go from merino wool to a synthetic fiber. (But you are going to stink after a few days!) Either brand will work well.

"Klamath fleece hoodie and FL Uncomphadre puffy"
You brought along a base layer, fleece hoodie, AND a puffy? When I am hunting in the mountains, I generate quite a bit of heat and have never worn more than a merino baselayer and a long sleeve top over that when I'm moving. If I am sitting over a waterhole and it is cool and windy, on an overcast day, I might put on a fleece layer over the top - and - if needed - my rain jacket over all of that - but I've done that only a handful of times in several hunts over the last 15+ years. I own a puffy jacket but have never worn it in September. (Again, I run warm!)

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...ong-sleeve-hunting-shirt.219390/#post-2136494

OP
K

KRATOCT

FNG

@KRATOCT

I realize you are asking for direction on a specific BRAND (Sitka) of clothing. But instead of just jumping to another brand maybe you should look at the individual pieces and the part of the puzzle that they fill. From your post:

"First lite merino top and bottom base layers:"
Whether made by First Lite or Sitka, merino wool is a very good choice as a baselayer. Merino wicks moisture well, breathes, keeps stink away for days on end, and is great for temperature regulation. It is also very heavy and bulky compared to synthetics. While you did not specify which particular First Lite garment you wore, the comparable Sitka merino wool is going to be similar in weight and material properties (bulk). Said differently, if you are looking to go from the First Lite to Sitka merino, there will likely be little weight savings, (maybe a couple of ounces) or bulk. If you want to reduce weight, you should go from merino wool to a synthetic fiber. (But you are going to stink after a few days!) Either brand will work well.

"Klamath fleece hoodie and FL Uncomphadre puffy"
You brought along a base layer, fleece hoodie, AND a puffy? When I am hunting in the mountains, I generate quite a bit of heat and have never worn more than a merino baselayer and a long sleeve top over that when I'm moving. If I am sitting over a waterhole and it is cool and windy, on an overcast day, I might put on a fleece layer over the top - and - if needed - my rain jacket over all of that - but I've done that only a handful of times in several hunts over the last 15+ years. I own a puffy jacket but have never worn it in September. (Again, I run warm!)

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...ong-sleeve-hunting-shirt.219390/#post-2136494
I’m certainly not giving up on FL. I love the stuff I have from them and have no complaints. I’d like another set of merino base layers and I see no reason why I wouldn’t purchase from them again. I’m also not looking to jump brands or get the same articles of clothing from various brands. I have the base layers, a thin synthetic hoody and a down jacket, thinking I could benefit more from a waterproof mid weight to heavy weight outer layer. I haven’t looked into it much but I hear a lot about the jetstream jacket. This layer may be more beneficial sitttng in a saddle in Michigan. I felt like I had what I needed gear wise while out in CO. I’d like to try a different pair of pants as opposed to the pair of Wrangler hiking pants I had because I wear them everyday for work. Also in the event I make a hunting trip later in the year, I see a benefit to an insulated waterproof outer layer as opposed to the puffy.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Whitetail: Fanatic Hoody, Jacket, and Bibs; Gaiter, Core Heavyweight Bottoms
Big Game: Timberline Jacket (discontinued), Core Heavyweight Hoody, Core Lightweight Hoody

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Core Lightweight hoody would be my first vote, easily the best base layer I've used and the hood gets used a ton as well.

Second I'd have to go with Ascent pants- a very comfortable and durable early season pant, goes into mid season with the addition of long John bottoms; the cut is perfect for me, deep front pockets and I need large cargo pockets (as in two) which these have.

Third probably a tie between Timberline pants (late season)- same relaxed fit as the Ascents, dual cargo pockets, waterproof seat and knees and bomber fabric and the Core Heavyweight hoody- a very nice mid-layer when moving in cold weather

Everyone has different needs. Look at the features you want or are missing, etc. pick articles of clothing that fit those gaps regardless of brand.

What do you want that you currently not getting from your set up? At that point people could give you suggestions instead of just throwing random favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelvin active; weighs similar or less to the thicker mid weight peices, zips on and off vs pullover, warmer, compresses to nothing, and dried faster. That piece is something that I don’t think anyone else has come close to an equal offering that I’ve found.

Mosby

WKR
I have a Sitka hat I got for $20 and wear about every day. Thats it for me.

Lawnboi

WKR
Traverse hoody has been in my pack for going on 6 years. I always take it with. I had to buy a heavyweight hoody for times my wife comes with, because it quickly becomes hers.

Seeknelk

WKR
First , Fanatic hoody I think? The heavier one with face mask, and little half mittens built in? Love that thing. Replaced my kuiu guide jacket at the top of the list.
Just added the core lightweight hoody, this thin bugger might boot out the fanatic as most used here shortly. Love it.