What’s Your Max Bow Range for Elk?

Max Bow Range for Elk

• 20 Yards or Less

• 21-30 Yards

• 31-40 Yards

• 41-50 Yards

• 50+ Yards

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m curious to hear what everyone’s personal maximum bow range is for elk hunting. I’m a Midwest whitetailer and aspiring elk hunter. I rarely would need or take a shot beyond 30 yards in the whitetail woods. But elk are obviously larger animals and a totally different habitat. I’m working to push my personal range out further, but I think it would be interesting to hear what limitations others put on themselves.

Marble

WKR
Depends if the elk is alert and looking. If feeding or bedded and unaware.. 60 max. Follow up on a wounded elk could be why I practice out to 100 everyday.
I'm about like this. But probably a bit further than 60 under the right circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

KineKilla

WKR
I like to keep my shots to 50yds or less. I shoot farther than that at the range but in the field I do not.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Gerbdog

WKR
265 yards on windy days through a 6 inch space in the trees........ probably more if i had coffee that morning, my bottom pin sits at 300 yards.

seriously though: i practice at 80 yards and can keep a good group at that distance.....

I doubt i'd even see the elk at 80 yards where i hunt, its pretty dang thick, after this last years helping of humble pie i will NOT be shooting much past 40 yards in the thick stuff i hunt.... you just cant see those little twigs out there that screwed me over this last year, heck i didnt even notice it and the elk was at 30.

my farthest shot on an animal was a mule deer at 65, glad to say it connected and the deer toppled in 40 yards. Cant say i'd take that shot again? But who knows, i was confident in that moment

bsnedeker

WKR
I killed my bull last season at 75 yards. Totally unaware, perfect broadside. I would have liked to have been closer, but that was as close as I was getting in that situation.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
My furthest elk was 55 yards- pre range finder era. Most have been considerably closer with the majority inside of 20 yards. I am comfortable shooting out to 100 on targets but wouldn't feel comfortable on an elk, or any other big game, past 60.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't have an absolute because variables are constantly changing out there with every encounter. I'm very comfortable shooting any distance within my sight pin range (pins to 80), but just like driving......the conditions matter. In general I'm a timber hunter, so long shots just aren't really available for the most part. My longest has been 71, but I've passed up much shorter shots than that.

I've taken one shot over 50y. Hit the elk in the shoulder and never saw him again. Nothing wrong with long distance but my experience is that 50y is my max in the field and that has got to be a clean shot and window.

huntnful

WKR
I would honestly shoot 80 yards in perfect conditions. But with any variables such as wind, I'm kneeling, alert elk, meandering elk (moving around too much), terrible footing ect.... that range drops drastically. I would feeling confident hitting an elk sized vital area at 50 yards under any conditions besides extreme wind and high gusting winds.

50yds for me. I have a mental block at 60ish yds and only have a 75% hit rate in the vitals there. After thirty years of elk hunting my longest archery shot has been 43 yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top pin, I can't even begin to tell you how many elk I've passed at longer ranges. I'm not even getting excited until they are under 30 yds. I've said it before, I'll say it again, short range elk, are short range recoveries. Long range elk are long rang recoveries in my experience being around "people who can shoot"

When they are 20 and in, they are dead, no iffs ands or buts.

TheViking

WKR
I have killed two at 60...I practice to 85 regularly. I would say 70 in perfect conditions, but try to keep it 60 and in.