Whats your method to dry cloths in a hot tent?

TRD1911

WKR
There's far more experienced and crafty folks on here than me so I wanted to see if there was a better way to dry gear in a hot tent than what I'm currently doing.

my setup is a cimmaron with a medium ti-goat stove and hunting western (wetter) Washington. I've been tying 12 inch sticks to the center post and trying to hang pieces of even weight on opposite ends. It's been working alright but you can't get much air in the pieces when they're draped and overhanging the pieces below.

Any tricks out there?

I haven’t tried one myself but Ive heard those heat powered fans you set on top of the stove move air pretty good. I would imagine it could make a decent difference.

Jimss

WKR
Are you getting entirely wet? What rain gear do you use? Are you continally hiking or mostly sitting down?

Bighorse

WKR
String a line across the interior upper loops inside the tent. Then hang wet gear over that line. I know wet too, Ketchikan AK

I see that Kevin didn't advocate for that technique in the above video and indeed he's right you won't hang boots up there but clothes are fine as long as it's not a storm

*zap*

WKR
I am no expert but....if your drying clothes regularly then maybe have two loops to tie to across the inside in a good place for you and where the line will be long enough......and then on the outside place another 2 tie off's on the other side so you can rig guy line's ....then the shelter will not sag in from the weight of the clothes on the line. just a thought.

Last edited:
String a line across the interior upper loops inside the tent. Then hang wet gear over that line. I know wet too, Ketchikan AK

I see that Kevin didn't advocate for that technique in the above video and indeed he's right you won't hang boots up there but clothes are fine as long as it's not a storm
x2

When our stuff got wet in Sep, we found some old twine laying around camp and ran a line inside the wall tent from end to end.

For boots, we propped them up on appropriate sized limbs near the fire.

We didn't have a fan to circulate and that would have helped. However, we monitored and moved stuff around as some of it dried at different rates.

After my pack took a swim this year I set up my tripod in the cimmaron and spread out clothes on that until they were dry. With the stove cranking it didn’t take long.

Poser

WKR
After my pack took a swim this year I set up my tripod in the cimmaron and spread out clothes on that until they were dry. With the stove cranking it didn’t take long.

Yeah, I’ll use my tripod if I have one. I’ve also made a tripod from 3 trekking poles and some cord -super stable. Always be careful with anything you setup as if it falls over against the stove pipe, it’s bad news. Same with hanging gear in the tent in general -make sure it stable and any swinging or knocking around is well clear of the pipe.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If the rain or snow looks like it’s going to die down I’ll build a fire outside to dry then quickly.

For inside drying I string a string across the tent and get the clothing as close to the stove and pipe and possible and get the stove ripping hot. Dries quick.

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t tried one myself but Ive heard those heat powered fans you set on top of the stove move air pretty good. I would imagine it could make a decent difference.
The guide I had in the Yukon this year said the fan was the best investment he made. It kept air moving in the cabin and was quite comfortable,
wmd