Whats your NM draw strategy?

Huntin_GI

WKR
Curious how you all approach NM elk. Been living in CO for a few years and building points in CO before that. This is my first year applying out of state and am curious what your "strategy" is. This year I contemplated applying in AZ but utilimately decided against the long game. I will be applying in CO and ID. Also, buying points in WY. This all brings me to NM.

As for me, Im looking at NM as an expensive lottery ticket. Considering I live in CO, I always have some form of bull elk hunt available. This leads me to looking at ID and NM as swing for the fence type states and if I fail to draw, no real loss. With that being said, I do format my application in the reccomended BEST, GREAT, and GOOD with all of my options being better than most CO elk experiences.

I find it mind blowing that many NM units have success rates in marginal units that are better than some premium CO elk units. As is stands, my application looks like 1st choice: less than 1% odds, 2nd choice: Less than 3% odds, and 3rd choice being less than 10%. I realize that living in the west provides me more opportunity than if I lived else where. Are you guys from back east taking a similiar approach?

BBob

WKR
I’m not back East but next door to NM. I take a similar strategy. I have no problem and almost hope for one of the tougher hunts with better draw odds. I’ve hunted the 16’s a lot in the past and won’t mind it at all to hunt other units that I think are fantastic and get less fanfare. If I do draw they will be physically hard hunts compared to a couple of the prime 16’s.

Gerbdog

WKR
I have same basic strategy, i grew up in NM and still have basically all of my family living down there, they just have terrible luck at drawing tags even as residents haha. Since i live in CO now i just look at NM as a lottery system with a great and expensive prize. I just put in for those slim to none chances of drawing units with trophy bulls and .... well heck, maybe someday it will come through? If it doesnt, ill just keep helping family on their hunts down there and hunting CO elk.

My input would be that the Outfitter pool doubles your already poor odds but it is still a Lotto situation.

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
My strategy is pretty much the same as yours, but this year I did put in with an outfitter. I burned all my points in Wyoming last year and don’t have enough points anywhere else to draw. I really don’t want to do OTC Colorado again, so I wanted the best odds I could get in New Mexico. If I don’t draw there or in the random draw in other states, I’ll look to a landowner tag maybe. I’m not sure what I’ll do to get to hunt.

Great point op. I’ll happily hunt a NM marginal unit over a CO otc unit. My problem is, I keep applying for top tier units in NM. So it’s all or CO otc for me ;) unless I get lucky and draw a CO LE tag :)

BBob

WKR
My strategy is to tell everyone that the elk hunting in New Mexico sucks and there is a major drought going on in the area so save your money. I hear ID and CO are fantastic though 😁
That's actually pretty solid advice, pretty much the same for AZ, so yeah you all should just skip us down here and head North. :)

CMF

WKR
Pretty much the same, but the third choice this year will be less than 4%. I should draw Montana, so If I draw NM, I want it to be worth refunding MT or hunting both.

FLAK

WKR
I consider all my NM apps as Long shot adventure hunts, except for maybe deer, which I only made one choice and may end up deleting.
If I dont draw, it's all good. Lots of hunting I been wanting to
catch up on back home in the Appalachians.

mlgc20

WKR
I love New Mexico and am relatively close by. But, I don't apply for elk. The odds are too low and the cost is too steep to apply since you have to buy a license to even be in the draw. They used to have a great program for NR youth where they could apply for cow elk tags that the resident youth didn't purchase. But, they got rid of those NR tags and gave them to the resident seniors. Obviously, that's their right. But, my daughter and I were bummed out when they made that change.

Just be careful which outfitter you apply with or buy a landowner tag from there are some bad ones. Don't recommend David Mathews or Mick Chapel. Both put in minimal effort and charge maximum for the Landowner tag. They don't have the same bar for customer satisfaction due to the fact you will only draw every 10 yrs if you are lucky.

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on applying for the first time this year- swinging for the fences but expecting a whiff!

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
How bad are the odds of your third choice? I felt the 10% chance felt fair and the license fee is light compared to a lot of places.