whats your on the mountain glassing set up?

bard

Lil-Rokslider
whats everyones typical set up for when they are glassing from up on the mountain or away from camp for extended periods? what are you sitting on? are you setting up a tarp or are you toughing it out in the rain?

I need to upgrade my system of sitting on rocks in rain gear. I think im going to pick up one of those thermarest chairs that take the air matress. maybe grab a silltarp. also need some new trecking poles. do you guys use your poles to prop up your tarps?

Good post, i just bought a cargo chair for my Kifaru pack and plan on using it for glassing. Should work well i will be able to lean back and relax. Will be trying it in two weeks for Spring Bear

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Outdoorsman medium tripod with pan head, Swarovski 20-60x65 STM spotting scope and Swarovski 10x42 EL binoculars.....

dryflyguy

Lil-Rokslider
Rain gear, Thermarest z-fold pad, Outdoorsman tripod, and Nikon field scope.

Cabman

Lil-Rokslider
Last year it was Vortex Razor 10x42 and 15x56 Vortex Kaibab with tripod . 10x42 worked very well on a tripod for most of my hunting (bow). I have an old Z rest pad that I cut up and I sit on it. I also carry an ID 5x8 tarp (8oz.) that I use when it pours and I am above treeline and works great for laying meat out. I am rarely without trekking poles and use those for support. This was my go to shelter last year along with a TI Goat Raven Bivy. This year I think I will use the Swaro 8x30 CL's I just bought along with the Kaibabs and will go back to my SL3 or Tarptent Rainbow when the weather is expected to be nasty. I will still carry the tarp.

shaun

WKR
Outdoorsman med tripod with pistol grip
Swarovski ATM 80HD, Swarovski EL 10x42, and depending where mainly while scouting ill bring the Swaro SLC 15x56's also

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I just sit on the dirt. On snow I will put whatever is available (jacket, pack, pad, etc.) down. I have often considered building a semi-perm structure at one of my favorite spots.

The optics I use are always changing. :)

PS: Shaun loves Swarovski so much he grew his spotter size by 5mm! ;)

shaun

WKR
I just sit on the dirt. On snow I will put whatever is available (jacket, pack, pad, etc.) down. I have often considered building a semi-perm structure at one of my favorite spots.

The optics I use are always changing. :)

PS: Shaun loves Swarovski so much he grew his spotter size by 5mm! ;)

Hahaha fat fingers on iPhone no bueno. You get my pm btw

Snyd

WKR
Nuthin fancy, a piece of foam and some PENTAX glass.

spotting_01_zps400000e8.jpg

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run a thermarest chair like the moffats, love it! As far as optics swaro 15s on a carbon manfrotto or 10x on manfrotto accompanied by swaro 80mm spotter. Like Shaun mentioned, terrain/objective dependent. I've never ran a shelter because I primarily hunt the desert and we do not get much precip. I have thought about throwing up the poncho tarp to get out of the wind and cold though.

JLF

FNG
I use the following:
Bog Pod CLD-3 Camo Legged Devil Short Tripod = 27.4oz
Bog Pod Bino Rest = 7.8oz
Bog Pod Swivel Camera Head = 12.7oz
Bog Pod Mini-U = 2.6oz

This setup allows me to utilize my Spotter, Binos, and provides a good tripod for the long gun. Very efficient, multi-use while not being overly heavy. I also utilize the Thermarest Xtherm Pad coupled with the Compact Chair (small) = 24.1oz.

Operational employment from flash-to-bang is: establish position to glass, deploy cargo chair and tripod with bino rest attached (quick detachable by-the-way), locate game, switch to spotter (via quick detach) to verify/pinpoint desirable shooter, if desirable shooter is verified, deploy Mini-U for stable platform tripod option, and send it. This is my idea of efficiency while not being weight restrictive (when considering the weight differences to satisfy the same capability with a different combination/setup). Allows for maximum utility while minimizing movement in the observation mode and allows quick transition into firing mode. Also, if shot opportunity dissipates, allows for quick recovery back into observation mode or ultimately total collapsibility of the location is afforded with ease to afford relocation or recovery mode.

2rocky

WKR
Vortex Razor 10x42 binos
Burris High Country Spotter 15-45x 60 mm
K&K Tripod
Just bought a Therm-a-Rest Trekker Chair Kit to try this season.

Swarovski EL SV 12x50's (previously EL 10x42's) for open country
Outdoorsmans medium-short tripod with pistol grip
10"x6" generic foam pad - keeps the cactus and rocks from inflicting their wrath

Don't use a spotter. If I need a closer look at the mountains in the distance, I'll walk the extra mile or three and benefit from additional tracking and viewing angles. I love trekking to exhaustion, so no sweat.

Total weight for the above is 6lbs.

Last edited:

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Zen Ray ED3
Meopta Spotter (maybe)
Slik 634
Vanguard 111V
And a cut up foam pad to sit on