What's your shelter?

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 - Used it last year archery season and it was perfect for me, my backpack and my bow. Had rain lots of days/nights and no problems keeping dry.

For later in the fall Rifle trips I have a REI Cirque ASL 2. That is just under 5#, but will handle the snow a lot better - and will handle 2 people and their gear.

ams

WKR
Trying out a Mountain hardwear ethereal bivy with and without a golite poncho/tarp and a kelty salida 2.

Mike7

WKR
TiGoat Vertex 7.5 when hunting with a partner or two. Still haven't settled on my perfect solo shelter for one + gear. The megatarp sounds very interesting though...I missed the teaser video. I wonder if it will be able to be pitched with the sides a little up off of the ground to increase low to high air flow and thus decrease condensation?

Aron, cool Father's Day video, thanks.
Also, what bladder did you have your Sawyer Filter hooked to in the video?

cmeier117

WKR
I'll post more info when I know Patrick won't shoot me, but it weighs 1lb 4 oz's, has dual entries and fits 2 people with gear.

You never told me it was lighter than a Super Tarp and Annex!! Put the other gear on hold and push this to the front of the manufacturing line!! If there are any good sewers out there, move to Colorado and ask Patrick for a job! We need more Kifaru Workers.

dotman

WKR
You never told me it was lighter than a Super Tarp and Annex!! Put the other gear on hold and push this to the front of the manufacturing line!! If there are any good sewers out there, move to Colorado and ask Patrick for a job! We need more Kifaru Workers.

I don't think that includes the weight of the annex or two on the mega.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
MIKE7
I hooked a 3liter Platypus bladder on the Sawyer. I like having 100oz's hanging in camp at all times and the Platy is much more durable than the standard bags.

Everyone,

The Megatarp should be available to order by weeks end..... but don't quote me on that:)

The Megatarp will have one sewn in entry and the other will except the Annex. The reason for this configuration was to make it more versatile for year round use. In the summer and early fall I the sewn in door can be opened completely and the Annex left at home (for increased air/wind flow). This will still give you a large amount of room that will be completely protected from the elements, but an open end to glass out of when pitched in the right place.

Weight:

1lb 5 oz's with sewn in entry and guy-lines (no Annex)

1lb 10.5 oz's with Annex and guy-lines

Dimensions:

68" entry at both ends

52" in height throughout (span of 8 feet)

Total length (with vestibule and Annex) APPX 13' 6'

The Megatarp was designed to be the lightest and largest option for a 2 person shelter, giving a pair of hunters their own entry and the option off adding a ultralght stove when the temps start to drop.

I will post more photos later, but the placement of the guy-lines allows for a much taller vertical wall (more usable space) and the ability to sit upright, even when against the edge of the shelter.

These photos were taken during the prototype stages and the shelter wasn't perfect just yet....but it gives you an idea of the total size of the Megatarp. I will take several photos and video this weekend (going on backpacking/scouting trip) and will have them posted up Sunday when I return.

Sawtooth on left and Megatarp on right
DSC01303.jpg

The bottom photo shows the total usable space that this shelter provides.
DSC01313.jpg

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2, 2 lb. 10 oz......................yeah even though Aron says it's like paper mache.

cmeier117

WKR
That looks like a nice shelter!! I will have my Supertarp in less than 2 weeks!! But I couldn't wait 12 weeks for this. I will look at it after the season.

How is it for a bombproof shelter? How does it compare to the other Kifaru shelters for wind and snow proofness?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would only be guessing with snow load as it has only seen a small amount, but it does extremely well in high wind.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That Megalite sure looks cool. Just may have to add one to the quiver.

I am running a Tarptent Contrail, Golite ponchotarp, SL5, and various wall tents this year.

garrenj

FNG
For you guys running the tarps and annex, is condensation a big issue with them? I have the 12 man tipi and condensation is pretty bad generally.

JG358

WKR
The Mega should not have the 12 week ship time. I'm not sure what it will be, but 4-6 would be my guess.

May be a bit longer... Just ordered a slick bag and Angie just sent my confermation with the shipping date estemated at 8 weeks. Last time I looked into them, They were in the 4-6 week range.

If the weather is nice then I use integral designs wil tarp with to-goat raven bivy. If the forecast is for rain or snow then I take Kifaru pari tipi with small stove