What's your shelter?

6t4nova

WKR
Just picked up a paratipi. Going to use my carbon trekking poles instead of the aluminum ones that come with it. Should be 3 lbs or less.

OP
flatlander51
dotman what do you do if its raining or the ground is covered in snow? ive only ever used a tent for these reasons, but would love to drop the extra wieght.

dotman

WKR
Rain isn't an issue, plan your camp as usual on high ground, snow just camp right on top of it like a normal tent (a tent floor is not good insulation). This will be my first year but plenty of guys that use these have been in downpours with no water issues, i'll put a piece of tyvek under my pad. Also if cold enough pack a stove and it will dry stuff out quick.

Oh yeah, if you take the stove add 1.5 - 2.5lbs to shelter weight depending on brand.

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kifaru Supertarp or Megatarp

I don't pack a ground cloth, but a few of my friends bring a sheet of Tyvek (weighs 4 oz's) for a ground cloth when using a tarp.

I just posted a video from my solo backpacking trip and on Saturday night it rained for several hours. I pitched my Supertarp on a bench at 11,500 feet and the rain only came in about 2 inches under the edge. I haven't had any issue with water coming in any farther than that and I've logged many nights under the SUpertarp.

Still using my MSR Hubba Hubba 2 man, but eventually need to find a lighter option. Considering a Supertarp. Aron, what is the Megatarp?

A mountain hardwear drifter 3 most days. Not the lightest but it provides a lot of space for the weight. I have a GoLite Shangri-La 5 with stove and stove jack for the colder nights in late fall. I might take it as a spike camp cook tent/warming tent for the elk hunt this September. We have three guys going so taking 3 tents isn't too bad. Two domes for sleeping (Dad and I in one and cousin in another) plus the GoLite for shelter from rain or eating in at night with the stove going.

Yukondog

WKR
Fly Creek UL3. Shared tent with partner. Weights touch under 4lbs. I do want to try a tarp. Been waiting on the release of the new one mentioned here.