What's Your Side Hustle?

I sell blackberries. Both berries and plants. Thornless variety.

Made some connections with local bakeries and get a great price for the berries.

Learned how to tip root the plants and sell probably 30-50 plants a year.

Firefighter on the side. Mostly covering overnight shifts so I just go in and sleep at the station. It does suck when we get a call that keeps me up most the night and then have to go to work in the morning. Work some weekend shifts when I dont have anything else to do. Its a pretty fun gig.

In the process of building my side hustle, with dreams to make it my full time hustle. It's something I think some of you guys might be interested in, and hopefully @robby denning will sell me a Rokslide sponsorship.

PaHunter86

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is HVAC. I did it for 15yrs then switched careers to Automation and robotics maintenance. I still do the HVAC to pay for my hobbies!

Whisky

WKR
BBQ catering.

I started getting into BBQ a while ago since there was no good bbq joints in my area. After several years of learning, competing in a few KCBS competitions and doing well, I started catering on the side. First it was only family and friends. Then I put up a fb page and would take referrals. I used it to pay off all of my debt. Since my career has taken off significantly and my free time has decreased I have scaled back to family and friends.

I know every state is different, but did you have to get a license, inspections, rent a kitchen for prep, etc? I've been thinking of doing something similar with mobile pizza. How much of your free time did it end up consuming?

ODB

WKR
Im a Carpenter with the last name Carpenter.... guess im what you call a thoroughbred LMAO but theres good money to be made and I enjoy it on most days. Would like to dabble in the furniture side of wood working though

Funny you say this. I was talking to my daughter the other day and she made a comment about last names. I asked her if she ever noticed how many last names were the same as a job. She thought for a minutes and said “well, what about Cooper, that’s not a job.”

I said: “it’s a barrel maker”

blew her mind. Ha!

Same here.

If you want more money and less free time more power to you - its a free country. Me? I've got myself in a decent career where all I have to do is put in my 40 each week(only 3/4 days) and I can spend the rest of the time with my family or in the woods in some form.
I looked at it different. I actually enjoy my job and only work 4 days a week, but 40 hours each week in 4 days is still stealing too much from my family so I learned a side hustle that I can do any day and hour of the year for as long as I want from literally any place that I want (that has internet). That's the ultimate freedom. Side hustles aren't always about making more money. For a lot of people it is them experimenting with something that will provide them with a more enjoyable career, more money, and/or more time freedom.

This country is built on entrepreneurs.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Started working on my own bows a few years ago after realizing most local shops didnt satisfy my tuning needs. Got pretty good at tuning and word got out, now im setting up all the local bowhunters out of my garage with my press, drawboard etc. (they are still supporting the local shops with gear purchases) They come to me and i get em shooting straight. I dont charge much but it pays for the little things like a new block target or broadheads etc. Helps me sustain my hobby expenses for the most part!
What is the city/state you work at this hobby, I'm in the same boat, not many good options in my new locale

Log cabin restoration work. cement and latex chinking, rotten log replacement and about anything to do with log cabin maintenance. My dad did it and i started working for him when i was 12 doing the real stuff not sweeping floors. business grew after high school to the point i was running jobs in a couple states and flying out to other places on their dime to just look at jobs. Dad got burnt out wouldn't sell me the company so i went back to school. but still do it locally and probably pull 1/2 my salary in 6-7 weekends and a couple weeks after work every year.