What's Your Side Hustle?

Finch

WKR
I'd like a side hustle but swingshift adds a bit of a challenge.

I actually wouldn't mind buying cheap furniture on Craigslist/ FB marketplace and giving it a face-lift and selling for lots more than I paid. I have most of the tools already.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Side hustles are party rental equipment and HVAC
I'm about set up to get into the party rental equipment business, just a couple more things to finalize on it (will also be a side business for me, not full time).

Other 'side hustles' are a couple of rental properties and I started another company similar to what I already do full time that pairs well together. Goal is to grow that company, as well as buy more rentals.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
My side hustle is honey bees. I keep bees and sell honey, mated queens and small colonies called nucs. My wife and kids make lip balm from the beeswax and honey and sell it. It doesn't make much but I enjoy it almost as much as hunting and fishing.

Shipping horses.

My dad is an owner/ operator truck driver. Hauled equipment with a step deck and a lowboy for 25+ years. Bought a 12 horse demo trailer about 10 years ago. Would move stables back and forth to Florida in the spring and fall. Plus he had a small 2 horse trailer that we’d shuffle horses around locally now and again.

I has been trying to convince him we needed a gooseneck horse trailer. A 3 horse came up for sale in early 2020. Needed a little work but wheels were turning by April. All said and done I had $9,500 into the trailer.

I move horses on the weekends (civil engineer from 9-5) and ny dad works the week days. We made just under $100,000 in 2020. Thus far in 2021 we’ve made close to $200,000.

I must say, that first trailer has been a hell of an investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
I used to take a week off in the fall and do tillage or run grain cart for a farmer buddy. Usually coincided with the MN firearms deer season so I'd hunt a few hours in the morning and afternoon with a few acres turned midday, then be in the tractor again until midnight or later. Haven't done that though since our second daughter was born a few years ago. Now I mainly flip stuff from auctions or marketplace, split & sell firewood, day trade stocks, and do some farm maintenance for friends.

This coming spring I'll probably be spending a week helping a buddy that runs a snow goose guide service. Mainly just be a runner; keeping batteries charged, moving decoy spreads, getting food for clients, maintaining equipment, etc. probably get a few hours in the spread to shoot some birds each day.

I used to do side jobs through an app called task rabbit and dolly. You can set your own hours and pay. On task rabbit theres pretty much every kind of side job on there from moving to standing in line. Good way to make extra money. I did it long enough that I have a bunch of people that ive kept in touch with and they reach out directly if they need something.

Then theres crypto which I have been obsessed with the past year lol.

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
Just started doing tree removal/trimming the last couple years. Don't advertise at all, just word of mouth. Very strict about 1-2 jobs a month, max. May do more once the kids are out the house, but they help now for a little scratch. Did it 15 years ago full time and knew it wasn't for me full time, but really enjoy it and all of the local companies are aging out or crooked.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Rentals, both long and short term. Will likely look at buying some more short term next year in different markets to try and balance out my portfolio a little more, and the cash flow is a lot higher than my long term ones. Dropping my normal W2 gig as a PT to 3 days early next year with the hope to be out completely within 2 years and do real estate full time. Mess around with crypto as well, but that's not really a gig, just play money.

Phaseolus

WKR
I retired 4 years ago but take on interesting short term jobs as they come Up. Most recently I hauled a load of motorcycles and gear to Baja Mexico for a group of guys from Grand Junction. I flew back home and then flew back to San Diego ten days later. From there I drove into Mexico again and brought the load back to Grand Junction.

I enjoy the mountains too much to do much more than my regular job as an arborist.😀 I'm hoping to do a bit of live-edge furniture this winter, mostly coffee table/end table type a deal from rounds. Might mess with a few slabs if I have lots of time. I source the wood from my job, so I'll hopefully be able to make money twice from the same piece of wood.😎20210812_175045.jpg
A beautiful spruce "round" currently waiting in the shop.

I have more than enough dream ideas for a side hustle-
-Fixing up a squarebody Chevys for offroading.
-Building log cabins in the mountains for rent for vacation
-A more recent, farther-fetched dream- giving rides on over-snow-vehicle roads with a full size van on tracks. Guarantee people would pay good money to enjoy the winter wonderland in the mountains on feet (or yards) of snow in the comfort of a cab.

Last edited:

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
I retired 4 years ago but take on interesting short term jobs as they come Up. Most recently I hauled a load of motorcycles and gear to Baja Mexico for a group of guys from Grand Junction. I flew back home and then flew back to San Diego ten days later. From there I drove into Mexico again and brought the load back to Grand Junction.
Your last sentence sounds very self incriminating😀

Traveler

WKR
Wasn’t there a Clint Eastwood movie about this? 😂

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Used to be small electrical jobs, now my current profession pays me pretty well on OT so I just work more hours. We are so busy that I can literally work 14 hours a day 6 days a week

I try not to work that much tho, but it is nice having the ability to do so.

RS3579

WKR
I’m a electrician, so after the company gets there 40 hrs I’ll do side work. I really don’t like to do it but the money is to easy to make. Lately I’ve only done changing out GFCI for home sales and new services. Easy, fast, income.

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
I deliver a FedEx route on one of my days off from my full time job every week. It’s strictly to fund my hunting . My wife is perfectly ok with it because I never have to tap into our household income for hunting things.

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like a side hustle but swingshift adds a bit of a challenge.

I actually wouldn't mind buying cheap furniture on Craigslist/ FB marketplace and giving it a face-lift and selling for lots more than I paid. I have most of the tools already.
I know a retired couple who do that exact thing & they are constantly busy repairing/selling furniture

Moserkr

WKR
Main job - own an insurance brokerage, work with business owners and try to save them money on taxes doing estate plans, retirement, and business planning. Work with a lot of CPA’s and lawyers - the good kinds. Theres a lot I do for people beyond that too - growing!!!

Side hustle - investor and entrepreneur - Im invested in some decent sized private companies and get residuals, with the end goal of selling for the big $$$. Entrepreneur side is using my main job knowledge to help the companies I invest in become more profitable / protected (assets).

Allows me a lot of flexibility, mainly work from home and occasionally travel. Lots of fridays off, play with my kid daily, hunting trips, vacations. I dont really ever want to retire. Besides hunting/fishing, in my spare time I rebuilt a boat, and do a little wood / metal work.

Im still involved with local charities but not as active as I was before I had a kid. Changing gears there and will use my time in his school when the time comes.

Life sure isnt about money, but its a necessary evil. I love living simple yet very comfortably - im not rich by any means, but doing fine. Id still trade every dollar for more time with family and good friends.