Whats your sub 2lb tripod with ball head?

fatrascal

WKR
20200531_091222.jpg

I've been using an Outddorsmans small compact tripod with pan head for years and it has been excellent. Now in an effort to cut weight I've bought the Slik mini and will be trying it out this year. It is not as durable as the Outdoorsmans because some of its parts are plastic but that's how you cut weight. Let me add that I was looking for a sit down back packing tripod. Fatrascal.

Attachments

• 20200531_091155.jpg
    20200531_091155.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 90
My lightweight tripod is a Kramer Designs Granite Peak with an Outdoorsmans Panner (quick release model).

Although a little heavier than 2#, the ultimate lightweight tripod (IMHO) would be a Really Right Stuff TFC-14 Mk 2SOAR® Series 1 Tripod W/BC-18 Micro Ball Head. Supposedly RRS is coming out with a new “Ascend” tripod that will be sub 3# and have an integrated ball/pan head for glassing and shooting off. Height of 59”

tdot

WKR
I have a modified Sirui 1204x with a Really Right Stuff BPC16 ball head. Total weight = 1.7 pounds

I also have a RRS TFC 14mk2, with the same BPC head I can be at either 1.8 pounds or 2.1 pounds depending on how many leg extensions I remove.

These are both modified to only work in a seated position, but they are extremely stable and I can use them both with a BTX/95 in decent wind without issue.

That BPC16 head is a little gem. I prefer it over all the Outdoorsman heads that I've tried and many other considerable larger heads from camera companies.

Last edited:
9 year old Slik Sprint Pro II with the center pole extension removed and the stock ball head (30 oz with head). Works good sitting with your back against a rock, the legs flattened out to the second notch (wider base).

When you lock the ball there is a bit of droop with the Swaro 20-60x65mm ATM on it, but you get used to that and compensate where in the field of view you lock it down.

Been a good tripod....but I did have to add one layer of gorilla tape to shim one side of the base plate where it locks onto the head as it had worn out from a heck of a lot of use.

I do use it standing on occasion...it works fair with the angled Swaro scope, but is not very solid. But sometimes you have to see over the willows...etc.

For the low cost, (,$100 with two base plates) decent weight and functionality for backpacking I've been happy with my purchase. I realize for another pound and another $200 - $400 that there are better tripods and heads available.

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
How do you guys like the flip locks on the legs? Anyone used both the flips locks and the twist locks that can compare? I have always used the twist locks and really like how fast I can operate them. I am hung up on the flip locks because I feel like it will be a pain to have to flip each section individually. One big twist and I have the use of multiple sections with the twist locks.

Not all lever locks and twist locks are equal. If you’ve used twist locks as you described (one twist and all leg sections open), I would think those are cheap or defective twist locks. The twist locks on an RRS are super nice, you twist one and only that one loosens. Likewise, the lever locks on the Outdoorsmans are pretty nice, they are machined and very “positive” on their locking. On trekking poles and cheaper tripods, I‘ve had failures with both styles of locks. The higher end stuff, it will come down to prefference.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Sirui t-024sk with b-00 ball head comes in at 34.6oz. Remove the three lowest leg sections and it's 31.2oz, but I don't have rubber caps to protect the exposed threads on the bottom yet.

OP
MuleyFever
Not all lever locks and twist locks are equal. If you’ve used twist locks as you described (one twist and all leg sections open), I would think those are cheap or defective twist locks. The twist locks on an RRS are super nice, you twist one and only that one loosens. Likewise, the lever locks on the Outdoorsmans are pretty nice, they are machined and very “positive” on their locking. On trekking poles and cheaper tripods, I‘ve had failures with both styles of locks. The higher end stuff, it will come down to prefference.

I am referring to the ability to just keep rotating the leg section as far as I want in one motion to unlock as many sections as I want. This just seems way nicer than having to unlock and re lock each section one at a time on one with the flip locks. I have no experience with flip locks though.

This is what is making me hesitant to try the Slik above as opposed to a Sirui.

Slik Sprint Mini II. 27.1 ounces on my scale.

1OslcqJ.jpg

You can unlock the 9 flip locks on a Slik to extend it pretty fast as they are all together. To collapse the legs I fold them into a bundle, then open the levers on the smallest extension, then the middle, then the upper, fatter extension. Collapse the legs, then grab the raised levers and squeeze 2 or 3 down with each hand placement, rotate and repeat a few more times and you are done. Not terribly time consuming when you get your system down pat.

ChrisAU

WKR
My Slik Sprint Mini II is 20.4 oz with the stock ball head and center column piece removed. Still plenty tall for glassing while sitting. Add head of your choice. I have an Outdoorsman's panner and Outdoorsman's pistol grip head on mine and in total it weighs exactly 32 oz.

OP
MuleyFever
I think I’m going to get a Sirui T005X, $115 on Amazon. I don’t want to go too expensive as I plan to alter it anyway. Also, I want that type of head to work with the RRS bino holder. Or does the Slik and Sirui use the same base plate type. I can’t tell.

fatrascal

WKR
MuleyFever, I can't answer that base plate question. The $100 dollar price tag definitely makes it an easy decision to have freedom to alter the tripod. I'm debating taking out my lower legs on my Slik mini. I don't need that much height in a sit down tripod. Fatrascal.

ChrisAU

WKR
MuleyFever, I can't answer that base plate question. The $100 dollar price tag definitely makes it an easy decision to have freedom to alter the tripod. I'm debating taking out my lower legs on my Slik mini. I don't need that much height in a sit down tripod. Fatrascal.

I've been thinking about that, haven't played with it much to start to figure out how to take it apart via any method other than gorilla cave man style.