Whats your sub 2lb tripod with ball head?

OP
MuleyFever
MuleyFever, I can't answer that base plate question. The $100 dollar price tag definitely makes it an easy decision to have freedom to alter the tripod. I'm debating taking out my lower legs on my Slik mini. I don't need that much height in a sit down tripod. Fatrascal.

Base plates are definitely different. I just need to make sure I get the right one.

tdot

WKR
I've been thinking about that, haven't played with it much to start to figure out how to take it apart via any method other than gorilla cave man style.

If you're referring to pulling the lower legs off, it's relatively simple and isnt permanent. I've had 5 different manufacturers legs apart and they all function essentially the same.

For the twist locks, just unthread the twist lock nut entirely and slide the twist lock and entire smaller leg out of the upper leg.

For the flip locks, loosen the lock and slip the locking collar off the upper leg section. Then the entire lower leg will come away. I've had one flip lock collar that was held on by a friction fit and one that was held on by a tiny set screw.

Just make sure to protect the remaining threads. I've used nylon end caps from Amazon and also wine corks driven into the end of the leg.

tdot

WKR
I think I’m going to get a Sirui T005X, $115 on Amazon. I don’t want to go too expensive as I plan to alter it anyway. Also, I want that type of head to work with the RRS bino holder. Or does the Slik and Sirui use the same base plate type. I can’t tell.

What are you planning on using the tripod for?

I had that tripod for awhile and other then 8x bino's I wasnt happy with it. Also, it's super short, so it wasnt able to remove that many leg sections to lose weight.

That little head that is included in the package is pretty good though. Try it before you invest in the Outdoorsman. I wish I had. I'd gone thru all of the different Outdoorsman heads by the time I tried that Sirui. I ended up liking the Sirui and it's what led me to going back to ball heads, with the addition of the integrated pan function. I'm 99% sure that it accepted Arca Swiss and RRS style mounting plates.

I ended up with the Sirui T1205x and was able to remove more legs and the long center column to shave weight. It ended up taller and lighter then the 005x.

OP
MuleyFever
What are you planning on using the tripod for?

I had that tripod for awhile and other then 8x bino's I wasnt happy with it. Also, it's super short, so it wasnt able to remove that many leg sections to lose weight.

That little head that is included in the package is pretty good though. Try it before you invest in the Outdoorsman. I wish I had. I'd gone thru all of the different Outdoorsman heads by the time I tried that Sirui. I ended up liking the Sirui and it's what led me to going back to ball heads, with the addition of the integrated pan function. I'm 99% sure that it accepted Arca Swiss and RRS style mounting plates.

I ended up with the Sirui T1205x and was able to remove more legs and the long center column to shave weight. It ended up taller and lighter then the 005x.

Plan to use it with my Geovids and a small spotter. Nothing heavy. Also plan to remove legs and that center piece. Why were you not able to remove more legs? I don’t care if I have to cut them off.

I don’t really want to spend much over $100 if I can help it but want the arca swiss ball head.

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
1.96 lbs with center section removed

84c3f2aa8835ca9768a3c186713ac08b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
Plan to use it with my Geovids and a small spotter. Nothing heavy. Also plan to remove legs and that center piece. Why were you not able to remove more legs? I don’t care if I have to cut them off.

I don’t really want to spend much over $100 if I can help it but want the arca swiss ball head.

Physically I could remove the legs. But I just needed them for the height. The most stable combination I used was the short center column and one leg section removed. That barely gave me enough height to use it seated and would not work if the ground was too sloped.

With that long center column installed it's very unstable in virtually every situation I tried.

I'm 6' with a 19" torso for comparison.

Is the $100 budget just for the tripod or both tripod and head?

tdot

WKR
This is my current setup. 27oz

It didn't give me enough height to work with a straight spotter. But with the additional height of the Outdoorsman tall bino adapter, it works for bino's.

Attachments

• 20200601_104239.jpg
    20200601_104239.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 70

tdot

WKR
For both. Something close to $100, maybe $150 tops.

At that price point, the 005x is a decent option for lightweight carbon. As it does come with a decent little head. You'll have to give up on weight if you want to increase height or stability and stay at that price point. I suppose buy, try and return to Amazon if it doesnt work for you.

You should give the guys at Camerland a call. They always seem to have pretty solid sales. They might be able to help you.

You could also check some of the no name carbon tripods on Amazon.

OP
MuleyFever
At that price point, the 005x is a decent option for lightweight carbon. As it does come with a decent little head. You'll have to give up on weight if you want to increase height or stability and stay at that price point. I suppose buy, try and return to Amazon if it doesnt work for you.

You should give the guys at Camerland a call. They always seem to have pretty solid sales. They might be able to help you.

You could also check some of the no name carbon tripods on Amazon.

I think I am going to go with this plan here. I can get the T-025SK for $130.

Finn16

WKR
Are the Sirui advertised weights accurate? I'm interested in the real world weights of:
T-024SK Tripod and VA-5 Video Head. Thanks!

This is my current setup. 27oz

It didn't give me enough height to work with a straight spotter. But with the additional height of the Outdoorsman tall bino adapter, it works for bino's.
Tdot, how do you like the panning micro head?

I see that most of you guys are using a slik or sirui. Any thoughts on how they compare to a manfrotto? More specifically, I've been looking at the manfrotto element since getting rid of a junk vortex ss-p.

ChrisAU

WKR
If you're referring to pulling the lower legs off, it's relatively simple and isnt permanent. I've had 5 different manufacturers legs apart and they all function essentially the same.

For the twist locks, just unthread the twist lock nut entirely and slide the twist lock and entire smaller leg out of the upper leg.

For the flip locks, loosen the lock and slip the locking collar off the upper leg section. Then the entire lower leg will come away. I've had one flip lock collar that was held on by a friction fit and one that was held on by a tiny set screw.

Just make sure to protect the remaining threads. I've used nylon end caps from Amazon and also wine corks driven into the end of the leg.

Played with your Slik Mini yet? I tried to the other day, I couldn't find an apparent mechanism to loosen the locks to slide them down. It looks like they may be pressed together and require popping a plate off?

tdot

WKR
Tdot, how do you like the panning micro head?
I love the RRS micro pan head. I was just using it on a bear hunt this week and am even more impressed with it then previously. I can run it one handed with binos, similar to a pistol grip or I can throw my BTX/95 on it. Even had the BTX on it with some wind at about 45 degrees to me. Sustained wind of 20knots + gusts and it held up almost as well as my larger heads. It has no business being this good for only a couple ounces and 1/3 the price of the Outdoorsman heads

I love the RRS micro pan head. I was just using it on a bear hunt this week and am even more impressed with it then previously. I can run it one handed with binos, similar to a pistol grip or I can throw my BTX/95 on it. Even had the BTX on it with some wind at about 45 degrees to me. Sustained wind of 20knots + gusts and it held up almost as well as my larger heads. It has no business being this good for only a couple ounces and 1/3 the price of the Outdoorsman heads
Thanks for that feedback. I’ve spent the last few years debating tripods, heads, and optics upgrades. RRS is always highlighted as quality but I’d not read about others using one glassing. A bit $$, but so are most of the recommended options, eg Outdoorsman.