What's Your System/Way to Evaluate Binoculars?

Crusader

WKR
I'm interested to know how you guys evaluate and compare binoculars, mainly for light transmission/low-light performance and resolution. I know just about everyone has various preferences due to how the binocs feel and fit for them but I'm wondering if there is something that could be a bit more objective for performance evaluation. For instance, to do a quantitative evaluation that might involve time or lateness in the day performance, could you do something like set a particular target or something else at a given distance and look through the binocs mounted side by side for comparison--what distance is appropriate? What should the viewed target be, maybe a rifle range target with rings or squares and what color? Again, just wondering about something that could be a tool for a somewhat "standardized" evaluation (as opposed to just looking at the edge of woods or crops, or something and seeing how it looks). And would you start this maybe a few minutes before sunset and then continue the viewing comparison until dark or until it gets dark enough where you can no longer see or resolve the target and determine which one lasted the longest? Any other ideas?

On the flip side, what do you guys do for an overall qualitative evaluation in order to compare and rank binoculars, what features or aspects are important to you? Perceived depth of field, or ability to get focused smoothly and easily and stay there, physical feel of eyecups, something else? Or is it simply just how it "feels" and fits?

I'm in the process of trying to decide on a 12x binocular and I'd like to hear your thoughts about what you do when making choices.

Thanks in advance.

Everyone has their own method. You’ll never really know until you get what you like. Some guys are happy with $100 binos, some $1000, and some $3000.

Personally I like to narrow down what I think I will like to 2 or 3 options then search the used market and try all three with the goal of getting a good enough price that if I dont like it or want to try something else I can resell without losing money.

I did this with 10x42 vipers then 10x50 razors, 8x42 SLC, and now 10x42 SLC. So far Ive learned the 50mm not a big deal to me and I dont like 8x. SLC glass and customer service is nice but I will try maven 11x45 and meopta meostar 10x42. Love to try some leicas as well.

Without some very expensive unobtanium instruments, I would think it is very difficult/impossible to measure binoculars objectively (pun intended). Many of the binos in a given market segment (cheapo/mid/$$$) are so close that you would need to have your choices all at hand to compare & contrast immediately. Without having all of the choices at hand, I would think it almost impossible to objectively compare low light performance due to changing weather & sunset times over the course of several days/weeks/months.
Some people use the Air Force chart to compare, which makes sense, but I simply discern normal things in nature at low light (birds, rabbits, squirrels, etc).

I have to wear glasses, so eye relief is a massively important to me. Requiring usable eye relief AND not losing field of view makes shopping very difficult for me. I envy those without my requirement.

I value edge clarity. On a tripod, it is amazing what you miss my having terrible edges. When glassing for ear and tail movement, bad edges are a deal breaker. If you aren't doing this style, I wouldn't worry about it as much.

Depth of field is important. Being able to see detail close and far simultaneously without refocusing is a big deal to me.

Clarity in the sweet spot, chromatic aberation, ghosting, and other things that are super important to birders aren't as big a deal to me. All the binos in a given market segment, I feel, are very similar for my needs.

i agree with shoeshineman above.

some will set up a resolving chart, point bino A and bino B on them and then come to a conclusion based off the ability of a binocular to resolve a black on white pattern at center of image; not a very useful test for hunters. As much as we'd like to be able to quantify a binoculars performance, its often the intangible things that make me prefer an optic, i notice it as "easy" to look through and "fall into view". Some of the new stuff these companies have coming out of Asia sure can have a sharp view that pops, but man just something about them makes it hard for me to spend a lot of time behind them, usually its a small sweet spot or just weird aberrations that make me feel cross eyed. Some of that won't show up unless you spent a bunch of time behind them. Look directly into the sun, trying to see details in the shadows. Good glass will show its value here.

Try to get behind as many models as you can and use them in the field in varying situations and that will tell you what you need to know. Sometimes it means buying used and reselling until you find what you want. For 12s, i ended up with used ELs, i was really close to getting Ultravids, spent 30 minutes behind them in the field and i was glad i went with ELs. They were nice, just had a bit of yellow tint to them and i prefer a flat field. Good luck in your search.

When I evaluate binoculars I pick them up and look for green armor and a silver eagle logo.

IF they do not have these qualities I put them back down and continue looking through mine which have these characteristics.

I know this is not helpful but I really like my swarovski els and slcs

My way is pretty easy- If I think my wife will skin me alive for spending that kind of money, then I know they will be good enough for whatever I may need to do with them.

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve arc flashed my eyes many times and if I think my swaros aren’t better I just let the other person look and then I know.

Swarovski or Leica. I have a friend who spent upwards of $5,000 buying different sets binos over several years including Steiner, Vortex, and Leupold saying... "I just cant afford those Swarovskis"

Buy once... cry once.

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
For comparison of solely optical qualities, I went through quite a few exercises. All involved using tripods.
I initially viewed Air Force resolution charts at distances that filled the vertical field of view & then out to 100 yds. This was quite worthless as up close, the images all look great. At distances, nothing looked great.
A better test was looking at headstones at a cemetery in the early morning, afternoon in the heat, and late evening at dusk.
The best test for me was going to a local pond/small lake and looking for birds, discerning flowers, tree branches, things on the shores and in the shades. I only wish I could have added a zoo trip.