Whats your take on CO leftover tags

Curtis C

WKR
There are a few limited units near the OTC I hunt that tend to have leftover archery tags every year. My gut tells me there is a reason they don't get taken up in the draw process. I am just not sure what the reason would be(elk not there during season, tough access ETC)

What are your thoughts on these units having leftovers year after year? and why aren't we bowhunters interested in grabbing those tags?

2011 stats show 14% success for one and 6% success for another.

C

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Not a problem that a little bit of shoe leather won't solve. Take Russ with you on a weekend scouting/camping trip and split up to cover more ground. Just don't eat his chilli. LOL! Really though, 14% doesn't sound all that bad for archery success.

OP
Curtis C

Curtis C

WKR
We are already committed elsewhere so we wont be going into either this year.

I am more curious as to what people think is wrong with limited units that have leftovers regularly. At 14% people are killing elk so we know the elk are there, but still folks choose OTC over one of those tags.

C

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I choose OTC in general with my archery tag because of the flexibility. I will be hunting with different friends all over the state in great units.

We are already committed elsewhere so we wont be going into either this year.

I am more curious as to what people think is wrong with limited units that have leftovers regularly. At 14% people are killing elk so we know the elk are there, but still folks choose OTC over one of those tags.

C

pretty simple to me, the 5 letter word is steep. alot of guys want the easy terrain. CO is loaded with some of the steepest nastiest terrain anywhere. God i love Colorado!

cnelk

WKR

C

The leftover tags are just a showing that the CPW has issued more tags than what people are interested in applying for.
Maybe the cow herd needs to be reduced, who knows.
Call the area Biologist and ask their input.

I deer hunt in an area that has some leftover tags every few years. There is nothing wrong with the unit, it holds some monster bucks. Left over tags doesn't mean a bad unit.