What’s your take on euro skulls?

20180712_122213.jpg

In the last two seasons I’ve gotten into processing European style skulls. To me it’s a better way of memorializing all of the animals I’ve taken. This year I’ve also been able to help friends enjoy their the animals they’ve decided to take. It feels good to hand a buck my buddy killed and see him instantly relive his hunt.

Deer.jpg

The trophy is in the eye of the beholder, and not all of us will take an 80 inch Pronghorn or 200 inch Muley. Does that mean we should look at animals that fall short of the B&C standard as less worthy of respect and admiration? Personally, I don’t think so. But there’s a cultural perspective I apply to hunting. I’m currently looking into getting my own little euro skull business going. The intent is to encourage hunters in my area not to discard the skulls of their kills because they are not “trophy caliber”. Or to just saw the skull plates off because they are not familiar with, or want to hassle with going through the process.

Bear.jpg

What do you boys think of euro skulls? Is my idea of encouraging memorizing all harvests for the hunter a good one. I’m curious to know what other hunters think.

Antelope.jpg

Last edited:
OP
bguitierez
Love 'em. They look natural. Great way to remember a hunt.

Yes, there's just something old fashioned about their look. For me the coolest part is that's the actual animal, and not the skull plate on a form. That said shoulder mounts, pedestals are pretty dam cool too. One day, I'll learn how to do those too! Haha. Thanks for your input brother.

There are folks around here who do that. They use the beetles and then peroxide, soap boil, ect..... Some of them even do the dipped paint on the skulls that's pretty cool. Seemed to me them folks must have had understanding neighbors. I would bring them some meat scraps to keep the beetles fed in the off season. Never looked to me like they were making any real money doing it.
Business wise around here you can clean skulls without a taxidermy license, but if you mount, dip, or otherwise make a "mount" out of it you need a taxi license. So for sure look into that type stuff to make sure your on the up and up.

On the wall I think they are OK. One or two seems fine, but several in a room looks odd. My wife don't like them at all. Odd cause she don't mind a bear or cat skull. I think I have 5 or 6 Euro's and paid roughly $100-120 for each one.

OP
bguitierez
There are folks around here who do that. They use the beetles and then peroxide, soap boil, ect..... Some of them even do the dipped paint on the skulls that's pretty cool. Seemed to me them folks must have had understanding neighbors. I would bring them some meat scraps to keep the beetles fed in the off season. Never looked to me like they were making any real money doing it.
Business wise around here you can clean skulls without a taxidermy license, but if you mount, dip, or otherwise make a "mount" out of it you need a taxi license. So for sure look into that type stuff to make sure your on the up and up.

On the wall I think they are OK. One or two seems fine, but several in a room looks odd. My wife don't like them at all. Odd cause she don't mind a bear or cat skull. I think I have 5 or 6 Euro's and paid roughly $100-120 for each one.

Point well taken. From the business perspective, a successful business to me would be to make enough money for some OTC tags. The going rate for skulls definitely isn’t lucrative. But I think it could help supplement tag purchases. I’ve looked into it enough to know I won’t need the taxidermist license, but I’ll definitely be required to keep meticulous records. Another motivation is simply to encourage enjoyment from all animals that hunters harvest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

much prefer euros to shoulder mounts but realize that I'm likely a minority. I'd rather pick up the head on a daily or weekly basis and hold it, see it from every different angle than to view it elevated on a wall. I'm not crazy about taxidermy to begin with so euro's make the most sense for me

OP
bguitierez
Euro's are my favorite. I really like shoulder mounts, but the price tag is steep! Looks like you are doing some good work. I do relive the hunt when I look at mine.

Yes exactly. And I think that’s what I’m getting at. The price tag (at least in my experience) has prompted friends to just saw off the skull plate and throw the antlers in the shed. Euros are very affordable and the animal is intact (in a sense). Thanks for your input dude.

OP
bguitierez
much prefer euros to shoulder mounts but realize that I'm likely a minority. I'd rather pick up the head on a daily or weekly basis and hold it, see it from every different angle than to view it elevated on a wall. I'm not crazy about taxidermy to begin with so euro's make the most sense for me

Nice! I can certainly see your perspective brother. Maybe yours isn’t as much of a minority opinion.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

No I'm with you. I don't handle them regularly or anything but euros have the most appeal to me. Not saying I'll never get a taxidermy mount done but they don't have a strong appeal to me (esp. for the cost) and I really don't have a good place for one either and an out of place mount can stick out like a sore thumb esp. when getting into the larger animals and non-vaulted ceilings.

jspradley

WKR
I personally prefer euros, nothing against lifelike mounts (unless they are done poorly, PLEASE for the love of Jesus vet the work of anyone you are thinking of taking a cat to for lifelike taxi lol) they just aren't for me

OP
bguitierez
I personally prefer euros, nothing against lifelike mounts (unless they are done poorly, PLEASE for the love of Jesus vet the work of anyone you are thinking of taking a cat to for lifelike taxi lol) they just aren't for me

Haha. Taxidermists are like tattooists hahaha. I’ve been burned too.

CorbLand

WKR
No doubt!

Ungulates seem to be "easy" but I've seen MAYBE a half dozen cats that don't look all janky haha

Dude, cats are hard to get to look good. It amazes me how many people get cats done that look like garbage. Pay the money to get a dude that knows what he is doing with cats.

I like euro mounts, mainly because of the cost savings. I can get 5 euros done for the cost of 1 shoulder mount.

OP
bguitierez
Dude, cats are hard to get to look good. It amazes me how many people get cats done that look like garbage. Pay the money to get a dude that knows what he is doing with cats.

I like euro mounts, mainly because of the cost savings. I can get 5 euros done for the cost of 1 shoulder mount.

The affordability is a key point. I’m hoping the affordability can also motivate hunters to see a little more value in a buck, bull, bear, etc. that would just collect dust in a rat hole somewhere, and allow an opportunity for the sub-trophy caliber animal to be displayed in a cool way. Thanks for the input dude.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I like euros quite a bit. The plaque that it's on can change the way they look. I'm a big fan of log rounds and playing around with placement.

IMG_20161216_093036.jpg
p.s. Make sure you check into what you need for taxidermy licenses in your state.