What’s your take on euro skulls?

OP
bguitierez
I like both, but the cost of a euro at roughly $60-$80 is much more doable than the $600 or more for a shoulder mount. That money can go a long way towards new gear and/or tags for future hunts.

Shit dude I charge more than that haha. I guess I won’t be getting your business. Jk. The cost is certainly a no brainer especially if your just a normal dude with normal money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catchfish

WKR
Love euro mounts, and my next goat may end up as a rug but not a huge should mount guy maybe a Dall sheep but I still like them as euros as well

I also love doing the euros and find especially for big animals like moose they work very well. The problem I have been having is with the CWD scare it is getting impossible to bring a head home unless hunting in your own state or province. They need to be completely cleaned of any brain material before they can cross many state lines now.

OP
bguitierez
I also love doing the euros and find especially for big animals like moose they work very well. The problem I have been having is with the CWD scare it is getting impossible to bring a head home unless hunting in your own state or province. They need to be completely cleaned of any brain material before they can cross many state lines now.

Bring a big pot turkey fryer and propane tank. You can have it done in an hour.

I like to use the maceration process find it does a much better cleaner job than boiling but takes alot of time.

OP
bguitierez
Especially with the small nasal bones which like to fall apart when boiled.

Yep those can be tricky little parts for sure. I’ve had good luck so far. As a rule I don’t let the degrease boil last more than 45 minutes. It’s be pretty good. The nasal bones really are a part I like to pay attention to.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I'm with MuleyFever. I only have one goat and one dall sheep that have been shoulder mounted. I contemplated shoulder mounting my bison but I talked myself out of it. The only other animal I would consider shoulder mounting would be a muskox. Love the look of them.

I like euro's enough that I bought beetles and started cleaning my own.

How’s that going for you Kyle? Is it worth the hassle, keeping them fed and contained? Did you start offering to do folks’ stuff in your direct area to help with keeping them fed?

Whether you are new to euro mounts or done your fair share you should checkout Whitebone Creations on youtube. Ryan is a euro mount wizard! He has detailed how to videos and also has some awesome hunting videos.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
How’s that going for you Kyle? Is it worth the hassle, keeping them fed and contained? Did you start offering to do folks’ stuff in your direct area to help with keeping them fed?

Best way I can describe it, it's like trying to keep 100,000 spiders contained. Those are the craftiest little things I've ever seen. If they were in my garage, no way on earth I'd have them! They're in my shop so it's not the end of the world if they get loose. So far I've run only family skulls through, they had a goat picked clean in about 48 hours. This year I'm going to ramp up as soon as the weather warms some. I'll have a business and taxi license in place so I can run it commercially. We'll see how it goes whether or not I'm going to keep them around.

At some point we are all going to have to do something with our collection. I'm not sure my kids will care to take my euro mounts and the shoulder mounts. Point was proven last summer when a local hunting buddy decided to move back to Utah for retirement. He brought me his "collection" since he had nobody to pass it on to. I have a 6X7 euro elk in my classroom now. Several euro mule deer, a 60" moose rack, caribou racks, a shoulder mount mule deer and another huge skull cut antler set from an Idaho elk. I am probably missing something as well. So back to the ? I tend to look down the road as to what may be easier to pass on and the cost savings as mentioned earlier is also a plus with the euro mounts.

OP
bguitierez
I also like the look of the euro mounts, economical way to remember the hunt.
Nice work!

Thank you for the compliment man. I’m hoping the feedback I’ve gotten off Rokslide will be the same I can earn from hunters in my area

Fitzwho

WKR
Short of me winning the lottery, which is really improbable since I don't actually play it, I'll be sticking with euro's. I also prefer being able to pick the head up and look at it. I would love to be able to have one of each species shoulder/full body mounted, then have that mount surrounded by euro's. Just don't have the ceiling height in my house.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Euro mounts look ok, but I had much rather have a shoulder mount. I have a few euro mounts, but a shoulder mount looks way better to me.

OP
bguitierez
Short of me winning the lottery, which is really improbable since I don't actually play it, I'll be sticking with euro's. I also prefer being able to pick the head up and look at it. I would love to be able to have one of each species shoulder/full body mounted, then have that mount surrounded by euro's. Just don't have the ceiling height in my house.

If you ever get the ceiling height that would be a pretty cool idea