What’s your take on euro skulls?

OP
bguitierez
Euro mounts look ok, but I had much rather have a shoulder mount. I have a few euro mounts, but a shoulder mount looks way better to me.

Shoulder mounts are definitely awesome! There’s no doubting that. If they weren’t, I don’t think as many of us would pay what we do. Thank you for sharing your ideas brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Shoulder mounts are definitely awesome! There’s no doubting that. If they weren’t, I don’t think as many of us would pay what we do. Thank you for sharing your ideas brother

I’ve been getting euro mounts on my tweener deer. Not big enough for a shoulder mount, but big enough to not want to throw them in the pile of antlers that I have. That’s usually how I decide which route to go.
No doubt, they each have their place.

OP
bguitierez
Bigmoose if you don't mind telling what s the material you use as the animal head or what you have for the base material with the antler coming out. The stuff under the felt or leather cover. I have several moose racks I would love to do that to very nicely done.

tdhanses

WKR
Yup I like a Euro mount. I say if you enjoy it then go for it, you’ll probably slowly grow by word of mouth. Doubt it ever becomes a full time gig but hey if it’s a fun process and pays for you to hunt or hunt more I don’t see a downside.

tdhanses

WKR
At some point we are all going to have to do something with our collection. I'm not sure my kids will care to take my euro mounts and the shoulder mounts. Point was proven last summer when a local hunting buddy decided to move back to Utah for retirement. He brought me his "collection" since he had nobody to pass it on to. I have a 6X7 euro elk in my classroom now. Several euro mule deer, a 60" moose rack, caribou racks, a shoulder mount mule deer and another huge skull cut antler set from an Idaho elk. I am probably missing something as well. So back to the ? I tend to look down the road as to what may be easier to pass on and the cost savings as mentioned earlier is also a plus with the euro mounts.

If it gets to a point where no one wants them find an interior decorator in the west to sell them to or sell them to a shed antler buyer. Could cut them up and sell on Craig’s list as dog chews.

bigmoose

WKR
Bigmoose if you don't mind telling what s the material you use as the animal head or what you have for the base material with the antler coming out. The stuff under the felt or leather cover. I have several moose racks I would love to do that to very nicely done.

What I've been using is Celluclay or just paper mache. I just mold it around the skull plate to the shape I want and then file it smooth after it dries. Usually you have to apply it in layers as it takes awhile to dry but it's easy to work with. You can see it on the big old dark set of antlers before the leather went on.

I just got back from Oregon for a celebration of life for my Dad who passed in November. This is a big ol' Idaho buck that I had put on a plaque for him. He had told me that I'd get these back... just wish it had not been so soon.IMG_0090.JPG

tracker12

WKR
I have all the mounts I want. You can only put so many in a house and spend so much money. I have done euro's for the last 6 or 7 years now except for the Aoudad on the right.

OP
bguitierez
Yup I like a Euro mount. I say if you enjoy it then go for it, you’ll probably slowly grow by word of mouth. Doubt it ever becomes a full time gig but hey if it’s a fun process and pays for you to hunt or hunt more I don’t see a downside.

From a financial standpoint that’s my thinking on it. I don’t anticipate it whatever become a full-time gig. Just something to supplement my income that way I can afford more hunts.I appreciate your positivity thank you brother

Thanks for the info bigmoose sorry to hear about your dads passing I lost my dad a few years ago but feel blessed that he made to 91 in pretty good health ! I still miss just calling him up and asking advise on stuff. Sometimes I pick up the phone to call and then realize he's not there anymore.

bigmoose

WKR
Thanks for the info bigmoose sorry to hear about your dads passing I lost my dad a few years ago but feel blessed that he made to 91 in pretty good health ! I still miss just calling him up and asking advise on stuff. Sometimes I pick up the phone to call and then realize he's not there anymore.

You are welcome for the info and thanks for thoughts on missing our dads. I owe him a lot and I'm missing him.

Rich M

WKR
I'm lazy - just cut the skull caps.

Used to have 18 ducks/geese on the walls and it was an easy conversation starter. Got tired of dusting them, the mounts age and look ragged. Gave em all away.

Might get a nice shoulder mount some day. Until then - skull caps and racks in the garage.

FLAK

WKR
I actually prefer Euros: Much Much more affordable.
I like doing things myself.
Taxidermists have disappointed me immensely lately.
I can handle and wrap my hands around a Euro easy.
Don't take up so much room.
Not gonna look crappy in 20 years.
I actually have some mounts I wish I had Euro'd.