Whats your ultimate backcountry hunting bow

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
Over the years I have owned dozens of bows, trying to seek out that one bow that suits my shooting and hunting style. From cheap starter bows to the high performance customs, hills style longbows through recurves. Today I have only one bow on my rack, a 2 piece Caribow Perigrine longbow, the others moving on to new homes. The ability to break down and go in the pack, speed that matched the performance of my previous A&H, a grip that fits my hand, it hits exactly where I aim and has a finish that has handle all the weather conditions I could put it through. Now that it has earned a permeant place on the rack I am faced with a conundrum, do I keep playing around with other bows (ILF has caught my eye as a interesting setup) or should I just order a duplicate bow and call my search for the ultimate hunting bow over?

What attributes do others value in your hunting bows? Has anybody found that "ONE" bow and settled down.

rclouse79

WKR
Based on my track record of getting a new bow every decade, I would have to say the one I got.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Based on my track record of getting a new bow every decade, I would have to say the one I got.
+1
f.png

f.png

Beendare

WKR
I've heard good things about those Caribow's...

I think its like the old saying, "Beware of the man with one gun"

I was playing around with a bunch of bows trying to find nirvana...and not shooting all that good. I pretty much stick to one setup now...and my shooting is all around better and more instinctive with less thinking on the shot. By that I mean, I have one trajectory.....I know where to aim and what that arrow is doing at 20,30,40, 50- etc

I was going to setup a lighter arrow lower # bow for tourneys for flatter shooting....but it was a PITA going back and forth.

______

Kentucky

WKR
I have found at least three of the “ONE” bows. If it is possible for you to completely commit, and you are completely sataisfied.. then sell everything else.. wish I could.. I have 2 ILF rigs, and I really need to commit.. and it’s easier if there isn’t anything else laying around to mess with..

OP
bushpilot

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
The one bow one setup is what I have been chasing, I have definitely noticed my shooting degrade swapping between bows.

Those toelke longbows have always caught my eye with the Micarta risers. Can’t beat a 2 piece longbow in my opinion.

ledflight

WKR
Is there a consideration of toughness when you talk about "ultimate backcountry bow?" I have heard some bows described by people as tough/bombproof etc, esp able to take a beating. I don't have enough experience backwoods to say anything about my bow (A&H).

LostArra

WKR
My "backcountry/elk" bow is an older Morrison wood riser takedown recurve (Shawnee Arapaho) but there is nothing special about the bow that makes it more "backcountry" as I've never once taken it apart on a hunt. My previous elk killing bow was a one piece Dwyer Endeavor.

I do have a designated "late season deer" bow (Sarrels Sierra) which is lower poundage for when the temperature is frigid, my shoulders are complaining and shots are under 15 yards.

Kentucky

WKR
I recently shot a custom R/D 58” 3 piece.. it was an awesome bow..coming from 62” recurves I wasn’t ready to drop 900$ on a bow that I wasn’t fully sold on the small sight window.. i since have purchased a Morrison 13” riser and set of ILF long bow limbs. I figured resale would be easier that custom bow, plus, 300$ cheaper.

I do like an aluminum riser.. can’t really get tougher..

Living in KY the opportunities for backcountry hunting are not as plentiful as out west.

But for me, any bow that will pa k down if you need it, doesn’t weigh a lot, and you can easily afford multiple sets of backup/training limbs..that you shoot well.

A back up set of limbs behind truck seat is always closest option . There is no way I would spend the money and time for a western hunt without having backup limbs. and those custom 2 piece deals, well, your kinda stuck just having a duplicate made..
Which is fine.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Right now mine is a Caribow Silver Fox 3 piece hybrid longbow. It packs down small, is durable, and most importantly I shoot it well and have confidence with it. I keep an allen wrench to assemble it in my pack and always have a spare stuck in the hood of my quiver.....just in case.

Broken down
8mDU7Fw.jpg

Assembled
ZWKuSeS.jpg

Kentucky

WKR
Right now mine is a Caribow Silver Fox 3 piece hybrid longbow. It packs down small, is durable, and most importantly I shoot it well and have confidence with it. I keep an allen wrench to assemble it in my pack and always have a spare stuck in the hood of my quiver.....just in case.

Broken down
8mDU7Fw.jpg

Assembled
ZWKuSeS.jpg

What kinda quiver you got there?

i'm waiting on my max6 limbs to show up, but I think I will like super curves... they are much more compact than a normal bow, yet still forgiving.

my 64" blacktail is long to maneuver through the brush. I always thought a forward handle R/D longbow like a shrew or omega native would be an awesome hunting bow, just don't know how forgiving they are to shoot.... like the concept though.

if I don't end up loving the super curves, an omega native will be the next bow on my list (probably will be regardless)

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My current bow is pretty close!
I have a Stalker Wolverine recurve, 64” and 50# @28” in Gray Actionwood with bubinga accents.

The only thing I’d do to change it is make it shorter, which I very well may do by ordering shorter limbs in a year or so. 60” AMO would be perfect.

Cove-Creek

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a one bow kind of guy as I like shooting any and every now that I can get my hands on.

With that said, the last couple of years I packed in with a Stalker Wolverine 60" 55@28

Gray action wood just like the poster above me.

Attachments

• E225ACB3-BD00-4CD0-B8F4-0C2B37E69B95.png
    E225ACB3-BD00-4CD0-B8F4-0C2B37E69B95.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
I've done a bit of backcountry hunting. I've toted 2 and 3 piece recurves and longbows. For a simple and durable backcountry bow it's really hard to beat a longbow. I believe they are less prone to failure and certainly more stable in limb design/action.

I carried a 2-piece Cari-Bow Featherhorn longbow for years and had great success with it. The only 2 minor dings I can put on a 2-piece bow are the increased length, plus the fact you need another entire bow for a backup, if you want it.

I've been using a 3-piece Cari-Bow Silver Fox which I specifically had built for the rigors of Alaska. It packs short and compact, plus I bring an extra set of limbs in the little carry case. I shoot it pretty well and must say I don't think there's a bow on the planet which would suit me better. I really plan for this bow to get me to the end of the trail.