Whats your ultimate backcountry hunting bow

Beendare

WKR
fullsizeoutput_1e0.jpegHeres
fullsizeoutput_1e0.jpeg
Heres mine "In Action" -grin

Dryad 19" ILF riser with long Uukha limbs- 64" recurve. This is in my saddle at a little wallow I found right at 10,800' in the NM mountains apps 2 miles and 1,500' in and only a little ways off trail. I did have a 6 point bull come in at dark this first eve...but a black bear ran him off before I could get a shot.

I've since picked up the Uukha Vx limbs which I think I like a little bit better- fast, quiet and smooth.

_____

Grabwad

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 2-piece Toelke Pika... 54” so it packs nice, light and for being so short it’s a good shooter.

I don't have it yet, but I would love to have a 2-piece hybrid longbow, probably from Holm-Made or St Patrick Lake, since they're close enough I can easily visit and shoot some bows before ordering. I may shoot a metal riser bow at some point, but the thing I love most about shooting a traditional bow since selling the compound is that the whole setup complete with quiver and half a dozen arrows is way lighter than my compound was completely bare. It's a pleasure to carry, AND makes a great monopod for quick glassing without having to set up a tripod. That's all hunting the relatively flat country of western MN and I can only imagine how much more I'd appreciate a light bow in steep country.

I've been chasing that perfect bow too. Been through over 20 bows and had up to 8 at one time, but I have them slimmed down to 4 now. My main one is a stalker wolverine, but I think I'd prefer a 2 or 3 piece longbow. A 2 piece Toelke whip, whistler, or chinook is what I'm looking for now.

Kentucky

WKR
I've been chasing that perfect bow too. Been through over 20 bows and had up to 8 at one time, but I have them slimmed down to 4 now. My main one is a stalker wolverine, but I think I'd prefer a 2 or 3 piece longbow. A 2 piece Toelke whip, whistler, or chinook is what I'm looking for now.

I ordered a 2 piece 58” whistler at the first of May. I was shooting an ILF rig before and I had an omegal 64” longbow. I shot the longbow very well andit Matched my shooting style a little better.. ILF has all the options in the world.. for a guy like me that’s not always a good thing. I read a ton of reviews and talked to Dan Toelke several times and pulled the trigger..

I also drew an either sex KY elk archery tag.

very excited about both.

ko3n3k3

FNG
I always shoot longer bows better but I bushwack through oak brush and service berry so much I love my 53" Dryad. Its also too heavy (63# @ 28") but it sure shoots a full length 250 spine arrow well. Also nice that it will fit in more ground blinds and breaks down small enough to get in a normal suit case.

Chilax_1

FNG
I am looking at a Stalker Wolverine as it seems to sit well in my hand but kind of like the idea of the ILF setups as well for the adjust ability.

idahojtg

FNG
I have been using a Java Man Elkheart 56" with the bow bolt take down.
It easily stuffs into my pack for packing in, and is short enough when put together,
that I can strap it to the back of my pack, and not have it getting caught on stuff
above my head, or stuff I'm stepping over.
I just have it attached to a quick release on my shoulder strap, so if I need it in a
hurry, I just unsnap it, reach over my shoulder and pull it out.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am looking at a Stalker Wolverine as it seems to sit well in my hand but kind of like the idea of the ILF setups as well for the adjust ability.
You should look at his Apex ILF setup then. Same grip as the Wolverine but in an ILF configuration

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RCL

WKR
Herb Meland Pronghorn 3 piece longbow.
53# @ 28"
Have another of Herb's bows in lighter weight for late season.
Great bowyer imo.

I shoot Bigriver Recurves mostly for deer hunting. When I do an elk hunt I still favor my Bigriver 2 piece longbow. I like it breaks down with no tools. use it as a wading staff, a bino rest, walking stick, and whack a bear in the head if need be. I think they are tougher than recurves in a backcountry situation. I know mine is.

I can get the bow, a dozen arrows, some extra stuff, string and such, my quiver and shooting glove in one little arrow box. Strap it to your pack, you dont have to carry it when packing in. If you run into elk, I can put it together faster than a ninja and be chasing elk in no time.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I shoot Bigriver Recurves mostly for deer hunting. When I do an elk hunt I still favor my Bigriver 2 piece longbow. I like it breaks down with no tools. use it as a wading staff, a bino rest, walking stick, and whack a bear in the head if need be. I think they are tougher than recurves in a backcountry situation. I know mine is.

I can get the bow, a dozen arrows, some extra stuff, string and such, my quiver and shooting glove in one little arrow box. Strap it to your pack, you dont have to carry it when packing in. If you run into elk, I can put it together faster than a ninja and be chasing elk in no time.
I need to find a ninja and put that bow assembly test on YouTube

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I recently shot a custom R/D 58” 3 piece.. it was an awesome bow..coming from 62” recurves I wasn’t ready to drop 900$ on a bow that I wasn’t fully sold on the small sight window.. i since have purchased a Morrison 13” riser and set of ILF long bow limbs. I figured resale would be easier that custom bow, plus, 300$ cheaper.

I do like an aluminum riser.. can’t really get tougher..

Living in KY the opportunities for backcountry hunting are not as plentiful as out west.

But for me, any bow that will pa k down if you need it, doesn’t weigh a lot, and you can easily afford multiple sets of backup/training limbs..that you shoot well.

A back up set of limbs behind truck seat is always closest option . There is no way I would spend the money and time for a western hunt without having backup limbs. and those custom 2 piece deals, well, your kinda stuck just having a duplicate made..
Which is fine.
I als live in Ky, what do you do around here for fun? Backcountry related stuff?

Sneaky, just imagine an overweight, old geezer ninja. Im am definitely faster than him...maybe

Beendare

WKR
Hoping it never happens but with my ILF I keep an extra set of limbs in camp so that if I broke a limb somehow....I can swap them out in 5 minutes.

Tartan

WKR
D2D9DABE-FF89-48B1-B602-9609BE808A60.jpeg
This is mine:

wf19 riser
XL Uukha vx+ (52@31)
Selway soft kote quiver
10” beestinger

The only thing this isn’t is light. 6 lbs with a loaded quiver. But it holds better than any
bow I’ve shot. I pieced it together looking for the most forgiving, bombproof, and “powerful” setup I could make.

I’ve even got it shooting aae max stealths off the hump. Extremely quiet, and pushing a 735 grain arrow to a 45 yard point on.