Whats your ultimate backcountry hunting bow

Hogyotedeer

Banned
I hunted with a PSE Bow Madness this year for Elk, it's 3.5 # bare shoots very well fast and at 32" easy to maneuver thru the brush. Solid wall, single cam nothing to tune after set up. Put a QAD HD on it and go.

Mythewood

FNG
Javaman Elkheart 2pc takedown longbow. Can carry 2bows, a dozen arrows and misc shooting gear in 36" case that can fit into my traveling duffel. In the field I can break it down without taking the string off and then put it back together without the string up twisting and changing the brace height. Fits nicely in my backpack lashed to my quiver.image.jpeg

I think this is a really interesting question! For me, as a pure backcountry bow, I’d want something light, really durable, packable and of course, something I’m interested in shooting. I’d probably order one of these: https://www.survivalarcherysystems....wn-arrows-pre-sale-offer-ships-september-2018

It’s not super “trad” per se, but it’s going to hold up a lot better than wood, and it’s a straight-stick, which I personally really enjoy.

Mythewood

FNG
Interesting, but I'm no fan of 3 piece takedowns for the fact that your string will unwind and brace height will change. Going to need a square and an Allen wrench to carry along. Still, looks pretty rugged if those things aren't an issue.

Did like the takedown arrows though. I made some a few years back and killed an elk in New Mexico with one.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to imagine a tougher bow, a bow less prone to twists and failure, than a fiberglass & maple or bamboo cored American semi-longbow. You’re not twisting one of those limbs. But, you’re also looking at at least 66”, and there’s no perfect takedown mechanism for ASLs.

If it’s going to be a recurve, it’s gotta come with at least one spare & identical set of limbs. In that case, maple cored fiberglass limbs and a metal ILF riser would be the logical choice.

OP
bushpilot

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
Since starting this thread I have been playing around with an ilf rig during the summer. This is a Win & Win Black Wolf riser with Tradtech longbow limbs that I picked up for a screaming good deal. It shoots good and takedown is very easy. I probably will use this for my mountain goat hunt this fall.
D108A36D-BB14-4C8C-AA43-F19703D5402E.jpeg

Mythewood

FNG
I just paper clip my string loops....
That'll work! The older I get the less necessary it is for me to shave ounces off everything to pack back into No mans land. Easier to pay someone to strap me to some beast and shoot a bow with a little more beef in the riser. 😄