Wheel lug nut cordless impact driver

You never want to torque your lugnuts down like that, especially aftermarket. Always torque wrench. I've had people that debate it, until they torque their lugnut and it breaks off/strips and now they're up shit's creek, sans paddle and canoe.

I agree with installing lug nuts with a torque wrench. For removal I have experience with the Milwaukee and they are awesome.
I also have a friend that's says the Ridgid works really well, I just don't hava any experience with it.

CamoPirate is right, you don't want to use a impact wrench on your lugs, they put an ungodly amount of ft/lbs (700+ on high and 100+ on low) that isn't necessary. However you can buy torque sticks that do limit the ft/lbs if you trust it. I second buying a torque wrench.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m guessing he was asking for the purpose of removing the lug nuts, and then running them in all the way before final torque. You can still use an impact and then torque them to whatever spec you like.

I don’t know who did my tires as I haven’t done them on this truck before... but I had all my weight on a 2ft breaker bar and broke one lug off When I got a flat a few weeks back.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Milwaukee makes a 28 volt line of tools. A quick search shows a little over 300 ftlbs of torque which should break loose most lug nuts. The other part to look at is the number of impacts per minute. I also don’t recommend blindly tightening lugs with an impact.

Baddog

WKR
I’ve got lots of experience with electric impacts for removing tires. I’ve bought and worn out basically all of them. Ingersoll has the best ergonomics (not a big deal unless using it all day) and longest lasting batteries as far as repeated charging, they also offer a long anvil version which is nice for tire work but typically not for general use. Probably best bang for your buck is actually kobalt from Lowe’s, good price point and will work well for homeowner stuff. New high end Milwaukee is nice, but not the cheaper line, make sure what you are buying there. Ive settled on using MAC, which is made by Dewalt but I’d a little different than dewalt. I use MAC because it works well but also the MAC guy will take care of any issues and replaces the batteries at no cost...

Wrench

WKR
I'm not typically a snap on pusher, but their 1/2" impact is everything my 231 a1 is at 175psi. Its the real deal. I chased guys around with the big 24 volt Dewalt with my snap on and when they couldn't budge it, mine would spin it off like it was nothing.

Werty

WKR
I break mine free with a torque wrench, then I use my 1/4" impact tool. Then start them by hand, use impact till tight. Finish them off with torque wrench.

wyosteve

WKR
I've been very happy with my DeWalt. Can't remember which model, but it was over $300. I don't ratchet them tight though. Just run them on to barely snug and then finish off with a torque wrench.

Milwaukee here as well.
Ive got this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...ith-Friction-Ring-Tool-Only-2767-20/302654201
I imagine it works well for pulling lug nuts. Truth be told, cant be sure. I will say that since ive purchased, lug nuts address me as sir and spin themselves off with little more than a word from me.
Hairline is filling out, and was finally able to stop taking those little blue pills.
All this to say that I freely endorse.😉😁

JohnB

WKR
It's a lot less powerful but i just bought a ridgid 3/8" subcompact impact wrench as part of a drill/impact driver/impact wrench and it has worked fine. It supposedly has 225 ft/lbs of torque. I'm only doing a Toyota sedan and small pickup though. I'm sure results would be different with 1 ton pickup. Otherwise I would have bought whatever used 1/2 plug in electric wrench I could find.

def90

WKR
If some of you guys are breaking them free by hand and using a torque wrench for final tightening what is the point of using an impact just to spin the nuts on and off? You could use any cordless drill to do that.

gbflyer

WKR
Milwaukee m18 1/2"

Yep. The “Fuel” one. It will take lugs off 10 hole Budd truck wheels. I’m not sure how long it will last. It’s that gutsy. It has 3 torque settings. It isn’t required to turn it to 3 and snap your lugs off when you go back on. I have broken Cat track pad bolts off with it. The good ones.

Milwaukee and DeWalt are the way to fly, and depending on the vehicle you drive the manufacturer will recommend between 100 and 120 foot pounds of torque when tightening so with an electronic battery powered unit your pretty safe as far as over tightening goes, most manufacturers rate there tools higher for removing/breaking fasteners free than tightening power. And especially with aftermarket aluminum rims you want to retighten them after the first 50 or so miles and it doesn't hurt to do it again after the next 100.