when all of your hard training pays off

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
An annual event held over Memorial Day weekend each year in the Bob Marshall Complex (Bob Marshall, Scapegoat and Great Bear Wilderness's). "it's not a race" from the organizer. One the most remote and rugged areas in the lower 48- add the complexities of May travel (deep snow, raging creeks and rivers, tons of blowdown, etc) it gets even more interesting. The starting and finishing points are determined every year (and every year different), what route you chose to get there is up to you. Folks who pack raft try to optimize routes with floatable section, folks with a lot of mountaineering experience may try to find off trail routes through high alpine country, etc.

The 2020 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open. This is my sixth straight year of giving it a shot and very happy to report I was able to finish. A put a full year of training under my belt to try and stack the odds in my favor as much as possible. We averaged around 30 miles per day and climbed ~ 16,000', almost a third of the route under snow (and the majority of those on snowshoes).

Few pics

tWJ3DC1.jpg

iSe53C3.jpg

Xna230V.jpg

OlmuOB0.jpg

hKD94JV.jpg

pw2WvzL.jpg

CtEboQB.jpg

obpNjqZ.jpg

g1rkKI7.jpg

rTLaUsE.jpg

I0LzID9.jpg

MECEUuF.jpg

RP7tV1G.jpg

PNWGATOR

WKR
VERY well done!

I’ve followed Bedrock and Paradox for a long time.

Event sounds epic.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Danke Gents!

The organizer (Dave C of Bedrock and Paradox blog fame and a contributing writer here :)) participated in a couple of Alaska Wilderness Classic events and thought it would be neat to bring something similar to the lower 48, but not be as highly organized and nothing that could pin it down as a "race".

I really like the fact that it changes each and every year and route selection is strictly up to each individual.

One of these years I need to take up pack rafting as that would add a completely new element to it.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How many miles total? How many days?

You can’t cheat the mountain

95 miles

Our goal was under 72 hours and I think if we really wanted to do it, we could have- we hit Glenn Ck on the N Fork of the Sun River at 8:30 PM on Monday (Saturday morning start) and still had 14 miles to go to the finish. We were pretty spent and decided to enjoy an hour of daylight at a nice spot, eat a leisurely supper, get a big fire going to dry out gear and get a decent night's rest. The biggest reason though was that we could hit the Buckhorn Bar in Augusta for lunch and enjoy a 1/2 lb burger and some beer :D

We finished at noon on Tuesday, so 78 hours- no regrets not pushing through the last night.

* edited my original post- typed 84 hours, but my math must be failing me- 72 hours would have been 6:00 AM Tuesday morning, we were in at noon 72 + 6 hours = 78, not 84- doh!

Last edited:

Scrappy

WKR
An annual event held over Memorial Day weekend each year in the Bob Marshall Complex (Bob Marshall, Scapegoat and Great Bear Wilderness's). "it's not a race" from the organizer. One the most remote and rugged areas in the lower 48- add the complexities of May travel (deep snow, raging creeks and rivers, tons of blowdown, etc) it gets even more interesting. The starting and finishing points are determined every year (and every year different), what route you chose to get there is up to you. Folks who pack raft try to optimize routes with floatable section, folks with a lot of mountaineering experience may try to find off trail routes through high alpine country, etc.

The 2020 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open. This is my sixth straight year of giving it a shot and very happy to report I was able to finish. A put a full year of training under my belt to try and stack the odds in my favor as much as possible. We averaged around 30 miles per day and climbed ~ 16,000', almost a third of the route under snow (and the majority of those on snowshoes).

Few pics

tWJ3DC1.jpg

iSe53C3.jpg

Xna230V.jpg

OlmuOB0.jpg

hKD94JV.jpg

pw2WvzL.jpg

CtEboQB.jpg

obpNjqZ.jpg

g1rkKI7.jpg

rTLaUsE.jpg

I0LzID9.jpg

MECEUuF.jpg

RP7tV1G.jpg
I really wish you wouldn't have brought this to my attention. Now I want to do it.

Cxs03g

FNG

Few pics

tWJ3DC1.jpg

iSe53C3.jpg

Xna230V.jpg

OlmuOB0.jpg

hKD94JV.jpg

pw2WvzL.jpg

CtEboQB.jpg

obpNjqZ.jpg

g1rkKI7.jpg

rTLaUsE.jpg

I0LzID9.jpg

MECEUuF.jpg

RP7tV1G.jpg

Insane terrain!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Gents!

^ The mud might exaggerate the size a bit, but this is definitely one big bear! :)