When are boots worn out?

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a pair of Vasque Wasatch GTX boots going on 11 years. I haven't put a ton of hard miles on them - usually several day hikes and 1-2 long trips each year. They fit great, don't cause blisters/hotspots, and still do not leak. The soles peeled off three years ago and I had them redone - they're still running strong, but I'm wary of them. Additionally, the boot's stiffness is completely gone. They bend and flex like an athletic shoe now but I still have good ankle support for a mid-rise boot.

Normally I would give up on a boot or shoe if I can't waterproof them anymore. But these are so broken in that they might be "too" broken in. I'll be in the West Elk Wilderness for 9 days next September. Should I look for a replacement?

ChrisAU

WKR
Once they got that old I'd just be wary of a catastrophic failure with too little time left to break in a new pair for a hunt. I'd keep rocking them but find a suitable replacement to have waiting in the wings, bring both with you and leave one in the truck at game time for backup.

Wow, you’re a guy who gets his money’s worth out of a pair of boots! I wish I could say the same of myself, but I’d say you’re safe to treat yourself to a brand new pair of the best boots you can afford

brsnow

WKR
Same situation I have 8 years on Salomon with year round mountain use and just had to waterproof this fall. Hard to change but I do worry of failure at this point.