When Christ was a child

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you sure there were less hunters? The R3 Pimps keep telling us we need more hunters and numbers a plummeting.....

P.s. that looks like a torture device

In the 70's- far less hunters :D Today- not so much.

Good-ol'-days are now: when I was a kid, limit on Canadian geese was 2. Now it's 5.

Good-ol-days are past: Mule deer tags every other year, now it's every 4-5 years.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
The good ol days there seemed to more game and definitely less hunters. But what stand out in mind was packing quarters (no one seemed to bone out meat way back when) on a WWII packboard really sucked- no waist belt, no padding in the shoulder straps- hard to describe the suck involved w/ 80-100 lbs on these frames! :D

zaFNiZw.png
Now I know where kifaru got the idea for the new Ark frame, I guess they did add a hip belt, nation of wimps! 🤓

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
I got to hunt a few years in North Idaho before the Wolves really sunk their teeth in, ain't no doubt that was the "good ol' days" compared to now as far as sheer Elk numbers and huntability.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
It really varies by region and by animal. Where I hunt in Virginia, the good ole days for deer and turkey were until the early 2000's with the peak probably in the 80's & 90's. Same for ducks. We have less ducks each year or so it seems.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
When I was young (10-18 YO) we goose hunted in WI A LOT. My dad had a couple friends with large farms we hunted. One was adjacent to the Theresa Marsh and one was near the Horicon NWR. Limits were 5 Canadas a day plus you could get a couple Blues and Snows. It was unbelievable, with limits on Canadas every day. By the time I got out of college the limit had gone to one Canada PER YEAR. That was 1986, the last time I hunted geese. I guess it has rebounded somewhat, but those days were great.

cnelk

WKR
@cnelk , start us off. Not calling you old or anything, just seasoned!
These days are NOT the good ol days. I fully expect to look back on these years as relatively poor.

My good ol days were in N Minnesota on a Sunday during deer season in the 70s.

We would get about 15 guys together and make a few deer drives.

Hardly anyone had a scoped rifle. 30-30 Winchesters and Marlins were the guns of choice.

At the end of the day we had truckloads of deer. And the best part was nobody was shot or got lost.

KurtR

WKR
Early 90's one goose a day here now we start shooing them in august and 15 per day till october and then 8 till the end of December. We have a 90 day season for ducks shooting 6 ducks a day I cant imagine it being to much better than it is right now

BR7.62

FNG
north central pa i dont think theres more or less deer or hunters but the weather sucks.
was always frozen and snow 30 years ago. could hang a deer in the barn for a few days now you better get after it that day.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
These days are NOT the good ol days. I fully expect to look back on these years as relatively poor.

My good ol days were in N Minnesota on a Sunday during deer season in the 70s.

We would get about 15 guys together and make a few deer drives.

Hardly anyone had a scoped rifle. 30-30 Winchesters and Marlins were the guns of choice.

At the end of the day we had truckloads of deer. And the best part was nobody was shot or got lost.
When my dad was a kid they did deer drives with dogs. 2 buck tags per hunter, a couple of guys would climb in trees they pruned in the summer then the other guys and dogs would drive through the brush patches. I was told the most exciting part was when the dogs would start barking and you could hear them get louder as they got closer and closer, then it was time to start shooting at a deer running through the brush with a dog on his heels.