When do barrels shoot their best?

I've noticed over many rifles that my groups tend to tighten up around 100-150 rounds down the tube. Before then, I don't put too much stock in how tight a rifle groups. Yet, you see a lot of folks who run out and shoot a few boxes of ammo, and are disappointed that their rifles aren't shooting sub-MOA in the first box or two. I always wonder if they just run more ammo through and get more familiar with the rifle, how much better their groups will be in time.

What is your experience with rifles shooting their best? How many rounds in have you seen this?

I've had factory barrels take 150 rounds to start shooting well. I've never been positive it wasnt me getting used to the gun though..

On the flip side, custom barrels seem to shoot great immediately and slowly lose accuracy. The only catch there is the first 100-150 rounds the barrel is still breaking in and while you might find something very accurate, the tune will likely change as it speeds up and breaks in so your final ideal load will probably be different at round #150 than at round #50.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It’s almost always the carpenter and not the tool.

Everyone thinks they are the best shooter they know (just ask them they will tell you).

The reality is that most guys simply don’t shoot enough to be as consistent as the rifle has the potential to be.

There are many factors to accurate shooting to consider way before worrying about hitting a sweet spot in any potential “barrel break in”.