When does hand loading become necessary?

I am looking at getting a 300 WM to be able to stretch beyond what my .270 Win is capable of. I have had really great results with premium factory ammo to this point but want to stretch my shooting to at least one mile. Will that require me to start developing my own loads or can I get away with factory with a slight handicap?

bsnedeker

WKR
"at least" one mile (1760 yards)? Yeah buddy, you're gonna need to reload and you will need to go all in ($$$$$) on it to achieve that.

Disclaimer: This opinion is from someone who reloads and doesn't shoot over 600 yards.

Rich M

WKR
How far can you shoot right now? Have you got optics that can see that far?

Seems like you've got a journey ahead of you. Enjoy it.

OP
F
Currently shooting 1000-1100 at a 16in plate with decent hit rates for being an off the shelf rifle and Hornady precision hunter factory ammo.

I've got a Vortex viper PSTII 5-25 which has been pretty good but obviously not top of the line.

I have no interest in competition but would love to get hits on steel of various sizes.

I am not opposed to long range hunting but that isn't the idea with this rifle.

Crunch the #'s. Hornady precision hunter 300 wm ammo had velocity ES of about 75 FPS for me. I think it's reasonable to think you could keep hand loads to 25 FPS ES.

Before all the snipers pipe up about their "single digit ES" from that one 4 shot group - that doesn't count.

bsnedeker

WKR
Crunch the #'s. Hornady precision hunter 300 wm ammo had velocity ES of about 75 FPS for me. I think it's reasonable to think you could keep hand loads to 25 FPS ES.

Before all the snipers pipe up about their "single digit ES" from that one 4 shot group - that doesn't count.
Dude....THANK YOU! When trying to figure out my velocity I always shoot at least 10 rounds and I'm usually right around 25 ES and I've always felt like a huge failure thinking I should be able to get single digit spreads!

I've never shot to a mile but when i used to actually have access beyond 1000 it seemed like if wind conditions weren't very mild and consistent, hits started feeling an awful lot like luck unless the target was pretty big. Most of that was shooting 130 berger ARs so a big 7 or 30 might not get blown around as much.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
Tough time to get into reloading especially super slow powders and large mag primers

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dude....THANK YOU! When trying to figure out my velocity I always shoot at least 10 rounds and I'm usually right around 25 ES and I've always felt like a huge failure thinking I should be able to get single digit spreads!

I've never been able to consistently keep any of my magnums in single digit ES over 10 rounds.. Maybe I suck but I'd bet some dough that 20-25 ES is actually pretty good for most.

It seems like unless you're shooting modest cases like 6.5x47 or 6 br variants, consistent single digit ES is pretty rare.

204guy

WKR
Imo unless you just like to tinker and geek out on stuff, reloading becomes worth it when you want to shoot specialized niche bullets. Especially so in less common cartridges.

Like 75-88 gr bullets in 22-250 or 180's in a 280ai etc.

Reloading is cheaper if your time isn't worth anything.

CO-AJ

WKR
I jumped in with both feet and started with a Wildcat Cartridge in 6x47 Lapua. Since then I have rebarreled to 6mm Creedmoor and use factory ammo out to 1k. I run a 28" Bartlein barrel on an MPA chassis with a Bighorn action, a NF 5-25 ATACR sits on top. $$$$ yes, but so smooth and so accurate. Plus half the fun was nerding out over what components I wanted. My only mistake was starting with the wildcat cartridge.

Lawnboi

WKR
I can reload a lot of rounds with same lot components. Good luck finding even a case of same lot ammo right now. That’s a big reason to reload.

Components are getting difficult to come by, but I’d bet I’d have an easier time finding a brick of large magnum rifle primers than I would 5 boxes of 300WM of the same lot.

If you don’t have a chronograph, I’d get one. That will tell you if you need to reload or not. See what your factory ammo velocity runs. Iv never had a factory ammo run less than 40 for an ES over a decent string of rounds, that includes Berger ammo that once reloaded with the same bullet went to 15 ES over 20 rounds. Once you know your ES of factory ammo you can get an idea by calculating the difference in drop at that range.

I’m not going to pretend I’m an expert in long range, I’m definitely not. But from the shooting I’ve done over the last year from 100-1300 yards, I can tell you I’m glad I reload. I got sick of rezero and re doping my rifles every lot/ammo change.

Last edited:
That’s funny you mention that. I believe that some people are able to get single digit ES, but the amount of work, time and ultimately $$$$$$$$ money required to get there is beyond the reach of most regular folks. We’re talking thousand dollar scales, big time annealing rigs, neck turning, neck tension, high quality brass, uniformed primer pockets, individually weighing cases/checking individual case h2o capacity and sorting, weight/length sorting bullets, the list goes on.

I do think there’s something to gain there, but it’s such a small gain that only the high end competitive guys are really going to be able to fully realize it. Your average hunter on a message board? Not so much.

So in short, I agree. The guy who claims to have shot a .19 3 shot group with 5ES from an off the shelf Tikka probably got just as lucky with the ES as he got with the group.

eoperator

WKR
If you have time/looking for an obsession, reloading is your game. If not don't go down that rabbit hole its expensive and time consuming ( also very rewarding rollin your own) proceed with caution.

gbflyer

WKR
I think Federal makes Gold Medal Match in 300WM. You’ll be hard pressed to improve on it without $1000’s of dollars in gear and a good dose of experience. For a few outings a year, it’s not worth it. I do reload but I have not reached the sniper single digit ES with just a Rockchucker. And my rifles don’t shoot half MOA “All day long” either. Hahaha.

K-22

FNG
I am looking at getting a 300 WM to be able to stretch beyond what my .270 Win is capable of. I have had really great results with premium factory ammo to this point but want to stretch my shooting to at least one mile. Will that require me to start developing my own loads or can I get away with factory with a slight handicap?
Accuracy costs money. How accurate do you want to be?
Also, knowledge and skill , are a very important part of the equation.
A few classes at some of the top shooting schools, may also put you closer to your goal.
I wish you well in your quest.
Best,
Gary

For me hand loading became "necessary" (IE worth my time) as a cost savings tool. By my monkey math, I will recoup my equipment costs at 100-150rds of 7mm Rem Mag loaded with premium bullets v buying them. Thats also the only cartridge I load for.

Of course, now with the ammo shortage, reloading is even more important. No common ammo is available at my local shops.