When is too much

How do you know when you have too much weight in the front of an arrow? My set up easton axis 5mm match grade 28 inches long, 3 fletch aae max stealth vanes, 4.5 inch wrap, nocturnal nocks, goldtip outsert 25 grains, 20 grain fact weight and 100 grain heads. Tuned good and shoot fine. But when do you know when to move up in spine? Asking cause I wanted to switch to black hornets all I can find is 125 grain heads. Thanks

Ucsdryder

WKR
What’s your bow? Draw length? Draw weight? Total arrow weight? Arrow spine?

Beendare

WKR
You didn't mention the arrow spine.....

You should be fine with the right spine....thats not a lot of tip weight.

So much bad info on the internet over weighting the tip of your arrow. These are folks trying to make a name for themselves as internet influencers. Every single pro follows the Easton recommended 8-16% FOC. A little over that is fine....but when you get up over 20%....it starts to destabilize the arrow. Remember, an arrow is an equal and opposite reaction on the string....its not just 1/2 of the equation when it impacts an animal. ...you have to launch all of that tip weight.

FWIW, I've played with FOC many years ago when I was working up a Australian Buffalo arrow....getting up into the 27% range. My arrows were much less accurate...and more critical. They got squirrels on me with that much weight on the tip.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For most types of game, once you delve into the 300gr+ heads you probably have too much weight on the tip. ;)

The most I've ever tried was only 285gr total weight of BH and insert, and that was way more than I've ever needed.

OP
J
What’s your bow? Draw length? Draw weight? Total arrow

You didn't mention the arrow spine.....

You should be fine with the right spine....thats not a lot of tip weight.

So much bad info on the internet over weighting the tip of your arrow. These are folks trying to make a name for themselves as internet influencers. Every single pro follows the Easton recommended 8-16% FOC. A little over that is fine....but when you get up over 20%....it starts to destabilize the arrow. Remember, an arrow is an equal and opposite reaction on the string....its not just 1/2 of the equation when it impacts an animal. ...you have to launch all of that tip weight.

FWIW, I've played with FOC many years ago when I was working up a Australian Buffalo arrow....getting up into the 27% range. My arrows were much less accurate...and more critical. They got squirrels on me with that much weight on the tip.
Sorry thought I mentioned spine. Its easton axis 5mm 340 spine. Draw weight is about 68lbs. Just wanna know if I can bump up to 125 g. Heads. Prefer buying local and thats all the have if not then I'll order online.

Rob5589

WKR
Sorry thought I mentioned spine. Its easton axis 5mm 340 spine. Draw weight is about 68lbs. Just wanna know if I can bump up to 125 g. Heads. Prefer buying local and thats all the have if not then I'll order online.
.340 is likely to be weak. You may need to move to a .300.

MTSabo

WKR
If your local bow shop couldnt answer that i wouldnt buy anything from them. I buy local for the knowledge or convienience. If they dont have one of those its about my pocket not theirs.

Zac

WKR
That broadhead isn't worth switching anything for. There is a multitude of higher quality 100 grain heads than that big box store head.

OP
J
If your local bow shop couldnt answer that i wouldnt buy anything from them. I buy local for the knowledge or convienience. If they dont have one of those its about my pocket not theirs.
Don't have any local shops around here anymore. One will open then a year or so close down.

My bow's set a bit hot, pulling 72.5# at 29"; My Hoyt likes my .300 spine FMJ with 125gr up front, standard insert cut to 28.5". Full arrow weight is about 525gr.

If you go up to a 125gr, I'd almost guarantee you get better groupings going to the .300 spine. Learn to square your own arrows, most shops don't even try to square them before inserting, or if they do it's half assed. You'll kind of notice it with field points, and really be wondering what the hell is going on when you throw broadheads on them.

OP
J
My bow's set a bit hot, pulling 72.5# at 29"; My Hoyt likes my .300 spine FMJ with 125gr up front, standard insert cut to 28.5". Full arrow weight is about 525gr.

If you go up to a 125gr, I'd almost guarantee you get better groupings going to the .300 spine. Learn to square your own arrows, most shops don't even try to square them before inserting, or if they do it's half assed. You'll kind of notice it with field points, and really be wondering what the hell is going on when you throw broadheads on them.
I order arrows and have them pre cut. When receiving them I do square off the ends with the g5 squaring jig, Both nock and insert sides. I do need new arrows. i believe no matter what I'm gonna make the jump to 300 spine, with or without the 125g heads