When it's spring time in Alaska...

JasonWi

WKR
Isaac:

Cool pictures and thanks for the equipment rundown. Have you tried the KUIU guide pants before? If so how much warmer are the Kelvins? If not what other company could they be compared to?

Jason

A couple pictures of my yard this morning. Almost 5' of snow and temp below 0. Oh, and I live in the "banana belt" part of Alaska.

Attachments

• yard1.jpg
    yard1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 45
  • yard2.jpg
    yard2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 44
  • yard3.jpg
    yard3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 44
OP
Yellowknife
A couple pictures of my yard this morning. Almost 5' of snow and temp below 0. Oh, and I live in the "banana belt" part of Alaska.

Yeah, I think much of the state got hammered by endless winter this week. Heard you guys got buried with some more snow. -4F here this morning, and it's April 12th ???

OP
Yellowknife
Isaac:

Cool pictures and thanks for the equipment rundown. Have you tried the KUIU guide pants before? If so how much warmer are the Kelvins? If not what other company could they be compared to?

Jason

Jason,

The Kelvin is a 170 g/m Primaloft puffy pant, and are designed to be pulled on when you stop moving. They are very warm. I think the "Guide" pants are basically a softshell with only minimal insulation and kind of different application. Although I haven't used them, we were wearing similar lightly insulated softshell pants by OR and Sitka every day as our regular outwear pant, and they work great for this kind of thing.

We also used a set of older Mountain Hardwear Compressor pants, which are a similar puffy style.

Yk

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great thread YK, but I definitely don't envy you all that snowshoeing! Thanks for sharing....

"Springtime" in Alaska can be really fickle...the sunshine and 16 hours of daylight have had me longing for summer, but its not here yet! We came home Tuesday night (Luke from two weeks at work and me from a weekend in the lesser 48) and had nearly 2 feet of fresh snow in our driveway from the storm that rolled through south central last weekend...

OP
Yellowknife
"Springtime" in Alaska can be really fickle...the sunshine and 16 hours of daylight have had me longing for summer, but its not here yet! We came home Tuesday night (Luke from two weeks at work and me from a weekend in the lesser 48) and had nearly 2 feet of fresh snow in our driveway from the storm that rolled through south central last weekend...

Didn't you guys just have a rather chilly "spring" camping trip yourselves? Seems I heard rumors of tenting on the lakes at some pretty wicked temps a few weeks ago...

Yk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yep your job is still way cooler than mine. :D Thanks for sharing Isaac....good stuff and looks like a LOT of work, but you got to test some gear to better get dialed in. I won't expect that SL-5 stove setup to be much helps at -20 at all especially with the 12" stove model. :D

Again thanks for sharing always fun getting to see how the Alaskan in the interior are getting it done as they are a lot tougher than us mild wintering SouthCentral Alaskans :)

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't you guys just have a rather chilly "spring" camping trip yourselves? Seems I heard rumors of tenting on the lakes at some pretty wicked temps a few weeks ago...

Yk

Indeed...we have done that trip for the last 5+ years, and never seen such cold temperatures at the end of March. The arctic oven kept us toasty warm even at -30...except when someone decided to save propane by turning the heat off in the middle of the night! I woke up and couldn't feel my feet...I guess when they said my wiggy's bag was rated to-30 they didn't mean that it would be fun :)

Did I mention I am ready for summer??

Wow ! Stud mission for sure. I feel real guilty complaining that it might rain tomorrow on open day Turkey here in CO:)
If you go tomorrow, and it rains, you have every right to complain. I did it several years ago on spring opener in PA. and it rained hard and cold most of the day, and it really, really, sucked. So don't feel bad. :)

This thread is unreal! I will have to make a trip south in April for turkey season or something just to warm up!