When The Moose Call You

JPD350

WKR
Moose and Alaska both call to me!!
Four years ago at the age of 52 I went on my OIL trip to Alaska for moose and didn't get a moose............then I went back 2 years later for my 2nd OIL moose hunt but still did not kill a moose........... and yes it looks like I will be doing my 3rd OIL moose hunt to Alaska in a couple years....... LOL OIL, yea right!!
I would love to kill a moose on this 3rd OIL hunt but what really calls me is the opportunity to be around these giant animals and submerge in the alaskan bush for as long as possible. The two trips I have been on each had unique experiences of there own, the extreme weather swings, the amazing wildlife and terrain that is so beautiful and lush but at the same time so impenetrable and harsh, all you got to do is go once and Alaska is embedded in your soul. It is everything about Alaska that calls to me, I only wish I had started my OIL trips to Alaska when I was younger.

OP
Kevin Dill
Moose and Alaska both call to me!!

I would love to kill a moose on this 3rd OIL hunt but what really calls me is the opportunity to be around these giant animals and submerge in the alaskan bush for as long as possible.

It is everything about Alaska that calls to me, I only wish I had started my OIL trips to Alaska when I was younger.

This is the embodiment of thought which makes it impossible for me to escape going to Alaska. But more than just going....I love going on diy adventures which only rely on transportation into the backcountry. Nothing better than being your own guide, camp chef and head decision-maker every day. I've been pretty fortunate to go on a once-in-a-lifetime hunt to Alaska every year for many years straight.

KJH

WKR
This is the embodiment of thought which makes it impossible for me to escape going to Alaska. But more than just going....I love going on diy adventures which only rely on transportation into the backcountry. Nothing better than being your own guide, camp chef and head decision-maker every day. I've been pretty fortunate to go on a once-in-a-lifetime hunt to Alaska every year for many years straight.

You must be in my head! I couldn't have said anything more accurate or true. This is precisely my sentiment as well.

Jimbob

WKR
What is it about moose that captivate us? Their sheer size? The terrain they call home? They way you can interact and communicate with them when in the rut? Our own history?

I grew up moose hunting with my Dad as the teacher and I have so much history and sentiment attached to moose that I think they will always hold the pinnacle of a hunting experience to me.

This picture is just one of may memories I have connected with family, moose and the outdoors. My father, my son and myself were in a marsh at day break setting up a tree stand for the upcoming hunt. I had been doing some calling as we were working and finally got a answer. I called this guy into 50 yds as my son and I were standing in the middle of the marsh (no weapon). We eventually had to scare the bull away then he walked within 10 yds of my Dad who had been sneaking closer.

Good luck to everyone chasing moose this year.

LW6eNslh.jpg

Beendare

WKR
Amazing adventure Kevin.

Some folks are cut out for an adventure like that....and the others just haven't done it yet!

I think the longest I've gone is 5 days solo. Its amazing the insights you get into who you are on a hunt like that.

For me, the hunting is all consuming...but in the down time its also a clarity of mind. Reinforcing priorities, analyzing where I've been and how to better be the man I wish to be- mostly in relation to family and friends. [now why it takes a trip like that for me to do this is another subject altogether]

I come back from trips like that with a new enthusiasm for how I am going to live my life. I wish you great success, and hope its the same for you!

OP
Kevin Dill
What is it about moose that captivate us? Their sheer size? The terrain they call home? They way you can interact and communicate with them when in the rut? Our own history?

All of it!

Moose are iconic creatures, representative of wild places. They might be deer, but they are so huge, deliberate and prehistoric looking. There isn't anything else on the planet that resembles a mature bull moose. There is very little that compares to the intensity of calling a rutting bull into bow range. That is further magnified for me by hunting with a longbow. My average kill shot is a hair under 10 yards. When it's just hunter and a simple bow against 1600 pounds of brute power at 10 yards (or considerably less a few times) the intensity of such encounters is almost undefinable. You have to actually experience it to know what it feels like. Regardless of shot taken or not, I'm always left in complete awe after having a bull in my lap.

Great write up Kevin!

I'm having very similar thoughts but my age [77] and old back have to be considered. I'll probably just take a caribou tag to camp as they're a lot easier to handle.

Good on you Vern! Keep it up buddy, I sure hope to also be there (in the back country), when/if I make it to 77.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
Geez!.......you guys have missed your calling.......maybe you should be writing poetry or romance novels......

But I agree with your sentiments exactly.

Most of my solo trips are canoeing and lake trout fishing .......especially the trout fishing as I don't divulge my techniques nor do I like to watch others that lack respect for a fish that may be my age.

Back to moose. When Kevin calls in moose close enough to take with a longbow, that's a hell of an accomplishment. Calling a moose past another hunter is much easier than calling one directly to yourself. I take my hat off to Kevin on that! Believe me, when you have a big bull at 10 yards and he's thrashing the brush and grunting you won't doze off.

Every morning in moose camp, I can sit on a point of a ridge and glass a big bull somewhere in the hills. What a way to enjoy the morning coffee. One year, I photographed a large bull with unique antlers [brow palms scooped] and two years later, called him in for a friend. Another year, I saw a mama grizzly with two cubs, one of which was very light colored and the other very dark. Five years later, I took that very blond bears fur coat.

Every morning is a first date with Mother Nature.........and no chaperone!

KJH

WKR
The moose are calling me today! I need to get some work done, so its a problem. Moose on the brain is my disorder of the day.

tntrker

WKR
Well, my moose story started when I was real young, always reading Outdoor life and Feild &Stream magazines to learn how to hunt white tails and moose articles were always present. I was amazed by their size and their majestic persona. After many years of reading about them, very rarely did I ever see people hiking out with any meat, only the head and antlers, and many stories of being back so far off the beaten path. I just assumed they were only able to get the head out and never dreamed or thought that they were probably packed out. I even read an article about a guy starting a business with a suped up tow truck built to get way back where these big beast are, but he went out of business because it was still to difficult. I wasn’t going to just kill one for the head so my “dream hunt” turned to Elk over the years. That got accomplished last year at year 50 in my life and is now an obsession.
This article, and the stories in it, rewoke my moose dream. I’ve picked a place, hunt, & guide for 2021. I’m not sure how I can hold off that long, but I’m sure I’ll know how many hairs they have on them with this much time to research, and prepair for this truely life long dream.
So thanks Rokslide and members. My dream has come back to life, every bit of information that lead me to my dream hunt started in these forums and I’ll continue to tweek my preparations from here. Thanks guys!

OP
Kevin Dill
This article, and the stories in it, rewoke my moose dream. I’ve picked a place, hunt, & guide for 2021. I’m not sure how I can hold off that long, but I’m sure I’ll know how many hairs they have on them with this much time to research, and prepair for this truely life long dream.
So thanks Rokslide and members. My dream has come back to life, every bit of information that lead me to my dream hunt started in these forums and I’ll continue to tweek my preparations from here. Thanks guys!

Excellent! That's one of the nice things about forum dialogue; the ability to share experiences and advice, leading to new adventures. I'm glad your dream is alive and ready to become a reality.

Geez!.......you guys have missed your calling.......maybe you should be writing poetry or romance novels......

But I agree with your sentiments exactly.

Every morning is a first date with Mother Nature.........and no chaperone!

I don't think I need to say anything more to prove your point. :)

rope

FNG
Also looking forward to this years season. Saw my first giant bull a few days ago on the Top of the World highway, he was above tree line grazing, The family and I were on our way to Chickenstock @ Chicken Gold camp, let me tell you the juices were flowing. Family is ready for moose season! It sure is challenging taking 3 kids in for season (10,8,6). Mom and I know they are having the times of their lives. We just found out this year will be especially challenging with mom due with #4 at the end of January. Hockey season will be challenging as well.

There are rare times I get away for a solo trip and really enjoy the solitude. I wish you the best of luck!

OP
Kevin Dill
As an update....

Prior to the start of this thread I had invited a friend to go on this hunt. For reasons of family and related commitments he was not able to give a definite answer. I told him not to worry....the invitation would stand....and in the meantime I would plan for a solo hunt. Recently he contacted me and said he was in....contingent on some things I completely understand. Heck....every hunt is on a contingency basis if we're really honest. Life has a way of making us change plans, even when we think there's no way we'd do it.

So at this time, I've got a great partner. He's a talented and noted bowyer who has plenty of experience on remote hunts. I have complete confidence in his abilities and dedication. I hope everything works out (for both of us) and we can hunt together.

JxVkfT8l.jpg

rope

FNG
Sounds like things are working out. So nice to have extra help when meats on the ground.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I love my mountain hunting for sheep and goats but moose really is where it’s at, I’m still hoping to punch my tag with a 60+ inch bull, the ones I’ve shot have been on the smaller side, still awesome but I hope to get a legit monster.