When the Universe is conspiring against you...

TheGDog

WKR
I *should* be on a sit for deer right now. But...

So first there is all the stressors of trying to load up both on day before and day of. Since I check the weather and it's going to be below freezing the entire week and I've not done multi-day hunts in these condition before.. and I don't like the cold, so I'm stressing about making sure I'm not forgetting anything.

Because of the temps and relatively close proximity of my vehicle to the spots... my plan is to sleep in the back seat area of my Crew cab. Talking with others somebody mentions the Lil Buddy Heater and I'm like "Oh Yeah! I got one of those!", so then was a stressful last minute dash to Home Depot to buy those little propane tanks, and... a new lock for securing Cooler to bed of truck (since I usually just put it in my back seat area, but I will be sleeping in there this time, so I don't want to have to deal with hefting the heavy filled up cooler up and down into the bed each morning at butt-thirty in the morning.

Then... dang it.. can't seem to find this cable I used to use for locking down my moto.

AND... for whatever reason... I can NOT find my cellphone! Calling it and listening.. in house..in car... in garage... = no ring. Dang it. So ya now. you're feverishly trying to run thru your memory of the timeline of events. And I remember taking a picture of a dudes tires on his jeep while leaving Rite-Aid to goto Home Dpot for the propane tanks.

I've never NOT been able to re-find a cellphone because I take a leave-no-stone-unturned approach... and yet... WTH?? I STILL can't find it!!

So naturally.. my mind immediately starts forming adaptive plans of attack. I consider going with the cellphone, since I have the Garmin InReach anyway..but then.. oh no.. what about taking pics! Sh*t! Then I thought... wel I do have that DLSR, I supposed I could take that. But I still for sure have to go get another lock cable for the cooler.

There is still enough time.. that I figure if I HAD to. I could potentially go buy a new phone (the thought of which makes me cringe in terms of the expense). So... I hop in the Truck and "tick tick tick tick tick..."! What!? Seriously!? Are you kidding me with this right now? WTH?? Did I somehow perhaps leave a door ajar at end of pre-loading up the other night?? And as this is happening... and this started in the morning with having VERY high blood pressure... I'm seriously on the verge of a panic-attack/meltdown/stroke/heart-attack type of deal because I'm uber keyed-up as the stressors and challenges and delays keep mounting up.

BTW... it's a 2014 model I bought used in 2018 and it's 2021. And it looks like the OEM battery and it's got a sh!t-ton of Zinc deposits on both terminals.. and oddly.. the positive terminal for some reason those deposits are blue?? So anyway I obviously realize with that amount of years and this new cold coming on... it's most likely the battery has reach the end of it's service life.

It was then, sitting all busted-and-disgusted behind the steering wheel that my mind reaches an epiphany about how I'm here damn near murdering myself with the stress of it all.. legit feeling fight-or-flight response within myself... that I had a pivotal moment...

"G... this is the Universe sending you a sign. Clearly the Universe doesn't want you getting out there on time. Chill the f*ck out... this is your precious PTO, it's supposed to be about doing stuff to make you feel better and refreshed from work stuff."

So.... New Game Plan. I figure the next day I borrow Mama's car and go fetch a new battery. Mama comes home reminds me she's going on a hike tomorrow so we go fetch new battery that night, I figure sleep on it.. let my body get rest and calm down to get my Blood Pressure back down to more tolerable levels. Cool. Sucks that I'm missing the first day, but oh well.. it is what it is.

And I make sure to buy an AGM battery, so I can get more CCA's and less worry about the cold. Mama says you gonna take a picture of the battery? I explain to her should be necessary, they just plug in make-model-year stuff and their system will already show them what choices are available. We go.. we get the battery. Cool.. I go to sleep with the thought that tomorrow I wake up and install the battery, then we go buy a new lock cable, them I calmly and relaxedly make the drive on up.

Well.. sigh... so go out there this AM to slap in the new Optima RedTop battery and.... "MOTHER F*CKERS!!!!!.... You had one job... ONE JOB!!!!" Sigh.. they didn't give me the correct size... and now... of course.. Mama is off on her hike, so stranded with no vehicle.

Sigh... so... I think about it again... and conclude "Well. so today is likely blown, which means tomorrow becomes the drive-out which means Monday becomes first actual day. So I try to say to myself "Meh... who knows... maybe the Monday thing will help with drive-up being easier and possibility of less hunter pressure." So ya now at least trying to look on the positive side of things.

Meanwhile besides the stressors no doubt effecting me. I'd been a little "off" last few days in a row leading up to all this. And.. reflecting upon my prior outings lately... got to thinking about this symptom I have that sometimes presents itself when I'm out there. Typically it's been when exerting up an ungodly steep slope. SO I'm like oh well... you're over 50 now and you had a real bad go of covid.. chances are high you've likely got left behind damage in there somewhere.

So then you read myocarditis and pericarditis are some issues folks are being left with in the aftermath of Covid. So alright... I search up the symptoms of myocarditis... and I'm reading along and I hit the phrase "air hunger" being used to describe some of the symptoms patients report with, and the light went on in my brain. Ding Ding Ding! "Aw sh*t man... damn.. that would make a lot of sense. The now even higher blood pressure, the palpitations and "air hunger" now seeming to happen at what I perceive to be odd times that don't always necessarily have to do with exertion.

So when I couple that with my long bout of inactivity during the week since Covid and my back injury thing getting made worse from it... and due to being held hostage in my home continuously due to work, then fatherhood responsibilities, which as you all know are freaking endless and you know... she's mostly no help at all, except for laundry and dishes. So yeah... all that looked at together and I'm like ya "betta slow ya roll there pawtna!".

So here's me asking the Universe to bless you all with trouble free hunts. And I'd appreciate it if you could see it in your heart to ask the Universe to bless me with a buck once I finally drag my butt out there. Just any legal buck, that's all. To help my spirit, I desperately need a success here. And hopefully the serenity of out there and being away from a screen can help this curious recent upswing in my blood pressure which was crazy high upon waking Friday. I'd lowered my head to look downward for putting on some sweats before exiting the bedroom and noted some equilibrium / dizziness type of feeling. And tension in back of neck (which I've learned is a sign my BP is up again) so I go back and check with my cuff and it's like 176/100 57bpm. Typically upon waking I'm like 145 over like 85-75 and similar bpm. Which is still high and above average, but lowered enough that you're not in the territory of Stroking out. But once that diastolic number starts creeping up... you're in dangerous territory.

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot... I got VERY lucky with my cellphone and FOUND IT!

The boy is in Water Polo. They had an away game for just the Varsity team, he's a freshman and so didn't go. They do a group TXT thing (that's annoying as hell, but...) he and I were talking while I'm sitting in my office chair... and during a pause in convo... a brief "Buzz" went off! (from one of the beginning TXT's of the onslaught of Water Polo TXT's) So I perked up, immediately realizing that had to be my phone! So I instruct the boy to TXT me. We both hear it... but not quite sure of locaton. "Do it again" again comes the buzz... we think it's one of two areas.. and luckily somehow when attempting to rise from my office chair my hand managed to bump the top of the cellphone! It had slid out of this particular pair of pants where I've had the phone slide out from it's pockets before while driving (I decided to throw those pants away). The cellphone had slid out and fallen in between where the arms of the office chair meetup with the seat cushion part, and there's is a slight gap in-between. So there's no way I would have found it by all the regular means I'd methodically go thru to find it. So I'm very happy to not have to cough up the loot for another one of these.

Last edited:
Good luck when you get out there.
May a buck be in the truck on the return trip.
Once you get that taken care of schedule yourself a massage.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
OK. New AGM battery installed. Connections are sandpapered clean. Then went and got a cable. Come home... the freaking lock just littlest bit too thick to fit in holes of cooler. So EFF it... borrowed the one on the shed for the lawnmower and slapped the new one on that.

Everything loaded up now. My lubmar/hip-socket thing not happy. Hope my body relaxes slightly once I get out there... got a 175/95 BP reading lil bit ago. Has me a lil concerned because that was even after the morning meds. So hopefully with the PM meds it can drop it down a lil more.

Figure I'll wait to sometime like after 6pm to let most of the afternoon drive traffic go by before I hit the road.

Northpark

WKR
Good luck out there. You’re not alone and I often wonder about why I do this. Example. I have a training in Florida this November. I’m supposed to fly back the night of the ninth pack on the 10th and drive to Colorado on the 11th. I’m a little stressed about that.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Fully understand G.
I've told my wife many times as of late, that once I get done with all the
crap I HAVE TO DO, I dont have anything left for myself.

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Funny the stress this pursuit can create. Did I remember to pack everything? What if X? Am I ready for this? How can I manage to disappear into the mountains for Y days with everything going on?

And then when you've got it all figured out, the universe introduces a significant new variable or a few.

Yup. Been there. Good luck, G, getting through it and on to the fun part.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I also gave up reading. I struggle with over thinking, I can tell you do too. All I can say in 95% of the time it’s wasted energy. Just get your crap together and go when you can, what happens, happens and you can’t control it most of the time. Good luck

Fitzwho

WKR
Have those kind of days more often than I care to count. Have been pretty lucky that they usually occur on work days and not my days off. Just look at it like you are getting all the bad luck out of the way, hopefully.

Have had some weird stuff on every Colorado hunt I have gone on though. In 2018 I had a CO muzzleloader pronghorn tag and a 3rd season mule deer tag. I had the peep sight on my muzzleloader fall off day 2 of that hunt. And on the muley tag, I hiked back out to the truck one night, unloaded the rifle when I got there, and dropped the magazine on the ground. Thought to myself, "I'll grab that in a minute." Well I didn't, made it a mile or two down the road before I realized that I hadn't picked it up. Drove back and found it but turns out I had run over my HS Precision magazine when I pulled the U-turn from my parking spot... Hunted with a single shot the rest of the hunt.

When it rains it pours. Just put on your rain coat and enjoy the suck.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
UPDATE: I was miserable out there, for a number of reasons.

- Daddy really needs to get some medical help re: lower back and hip socket. Plan is do it next calendar year so out-of-pocket max can be reached.
- Sleeping in the backseat was not the best idea with my lower back and hip socket issues.
- Forgot to take the slings off the other rifles they were on and put 'em on these two. DOH! So had to carry em in my damn hand the whole time climbin' those steep slopes.
- The insulated boots (I seldom wear) are clunky and heavy and feel like ya got anchors on your feet. Think they further exacerbate the injuries.
- If I was to continue hitting up this zone... in a multi-day way... I'd need to invest yet again in cold weather gear that's the next degree better than the items I have now so it can be light as well.
- I was either just a wee bit too cold on sits in the shadows. Or roasting when taking a break mid day on a sit in the Sun, since didn't wanna have to fuss with taking off the base layers, since the moment you go back into any kind of shadow I was cold again. And attempts to put on the head gear that better handles the cold then make my damn glasses fog up instantly, since they don't think about where the breath vapors exhaust to, so I'm freaking blinded.
- I absolutely HAVE to reduce my pack weight to help my area of injury cope. I'll have to only bring along 1 seating solution. I was carrying a predator seat cushion, and also the REI Macro Flex Lite (A Helinox knock-off that's sized up for bigger people. Which I love cause it's soo comfy)

- And finally... the realization that over-nighters is about all I can handle with my injuries.

- Been seriously considering maybe switching to some kind of a Van at some point so I deck out the inside for comfortable sleeping. This will have to wait until after medical costs are dealt with.

- Strangely I had constant dry mouth while out there. Very frequently had to take sips of drink tube.
- Think maybe I needed to clean out the water bladder. Water didn't taste bad, but I kept having acid issues, long after last time of eating anything. Thinking maybe some faint traces algae may have been in the bladder from it sitting in the pack in the garage for a bit.

Live and Learn.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
I could not get through all those words in your post but you need to relax. Get there when you get there and have fun.
Yeah, eventually I had to switch my brain into this mode, like you're saying here.

The thing that was lighting the fire under my butt was the thought of how on the opener they haven't experienced any pressure yet and be much easier to see/find. So if the goal is a success, getting there on opener has a high weight of importance to it. At least in my logic anyway. But oh well. Obviously I'm going to have to switch up to "Slow and Steady wins the race" now.

Yeah, eventually I had to switch my brain into this mode, like you're saying here.

The thing that was lighting the fire under my butt was the thought of how on the opener they haven't experienced any pressure yet and be much easier to see/find. So if the goal is a success, getting there on opener has a high weight of importance to it. At least in my logic anyway. But oh well. Obviously I'm going to have to switch up to "Slow and Steady wins the race" now.

Its hard. We wait all year for these opportunities. Have to roll with the punches though and remember to have fun. If you are not having fun your doing it wrong.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Yep, dont take it so seriously. It's a lot more fun that way.
I've about quit deer hunting because I just dont enjoy it like I used to.
I've been focusing mainly on Waterfowl, Bobcats and doing more Surf fishing.
If its not fun, stop doing it.
Hey GDog, didnt you say you got a Bobcat a while back? Would love to
see a pic.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Yep, dont take it so seriously. It's a lot more fun that way.
I've about quit deer hunting because I just dont enjoy it like I used to.
I've been focusing mainly on Waterfowl, Bobcats and doing more Surf fishing.
If its not fun, stop doing it.
Hey GDog, didnt you say you got a Bobcat a while back? Would love to
see a pic.
"Your Wish has been Granted!!.... Long Live Jambi!"
136044480_404963907263386_5981996747675452173_o.jpg
135795523_404730750620035_1908233533340994260_o.jpg20191110_144045 - Copy.jpg

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
There's a High Wind Advisory in effect now too in D14. I believe it too. I noticed more blown down trees when I was out there y'day.

Figure I'll take tomorrow to let my back injury calm-down a lil bit.... then probably drive up night of.. this time sleep in front seat (which I've done before and I think is actually slightly more comfortable than what I tried to do in the back seat there) then go in again just for the day again. I'll probably have to do it this way for the rest of this PTO because of the cold and back. Sucks. But is what it is. And oh yeah.. about 80 bucks a whack for gas each time. Joy!...NOT!

*zap*

WKR
I have slept in the truck and would rather bring my msr elixer 1 and set it up next to the truck/sleep on a good pad in a good bag.