when the world made sense

Trial153

WKR
The everything was great back in the day remeniesin been going on for generations, we think things and people were all great and the current generation all sucks. While it's good conversation to instill comradeship among your contemporaries its overly simplified, and as often as not true. There are things that were better and things that are worse. Same as now.

Last edited:

brsnow

WKR
Regardless how it feels, in this case the feelings match the logical reality. It feels that way because it IS that way. Sure........progress even to demise could be considered progress, but I would never confuse that with "positive" progress. That's pretty much where we're at these days, the "progressives" seem to think that their progress IS a positive thing. The rest of us already know better than that.

In my short time on this site, no doubt you win most arrogant member, what is you motivation or inspiration to view yourself in such a superior light? Shall we call you Jesus jr.?

Trial153

WKR
In my short time on this site, no doubt you win most arrogant member, what is you motivation or inspiration to view yourself in such a superior light? Shall we call you Jesus jr.?
It's not even a close contest. He runs away with it.

This made me laugh.

Also, there are still kids doing a lot of the things being reminisced about here. Saw a kid driving a truck with guns in a gun rack in the back window last week.

Conroy

WKR
My junior and senior years of high school, I ran a trapline every morning. I had a 22 in the cab of my truck and a bunch of dead animals in the back. There were a few times I brought a teacher or the vice principal outside to show them a fox or cinnamon coon I had gotten the night before.

I remember my project in wood shop was a gun rack. I think every boy made one

Oregon

WKR
I graduated HS in 87’. Not sure if it was acceptable but a lot of us kept guns in our gun racks in our back glass of our trucks. What the cool kids did.
We would also drive to Walgreens and buy a tin of Copenhagen for .89cents at age 16. We also had a smoking area at high school. That was shut down my Junior year(86). Apparently someone thought that was a bad idea.

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
When my dad was a young teenager in the 50s he and a buddy would walk out small game hunting from town and back. If the local PD saw them they’d always give them a ride.

Two 14 year olds walking through town now with pump shotguns and “tactical” gear? Cuffed at gunpoint nowadays if it went that well.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

I didn't state anything about me, those are YOUR perceptions and views of me. I was just stating the facts and what's really going on out there......nothing superior about that. But there's no doubt that many are blinded to the truth. But since you bring up Jesus.......yes, I do have the Holy Spirit within me as do many others. And yes, it does seem that those of us that do, really seem to grasp and understand things better..........but that's from inspiration. But all that praise and recognition go to HIM, not me.

When you have a discussion with a mathematician about math, do you consider them arrogant.......or just knowledgeable and perceptive?

Last edited:

brsnow

WKR
I didn't state anything about me, those are YOUR perceptions and views of me. I was just stating the facts and what's really going on out there......nothing superior about that. But there's no doubt that many are blinded to the truth. But since you bring up Jesus.......yes, I do have the Holy Spirit within me as do many others. And yes, it does seem that those of us that do, really seem to grasp and understand things better..........but that's from inspiration. But all that praise and recognition go to HIM, not me.

When you have a discussion with a mathematician about math, do you consider them arrogant.......or just knowledgeable and perceptive?

A mathematician would come across as knowledgeable , so I would view that different.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A mathematician would come across as knowledgeable , so I would view that different.

Then what better source for the knowledge of the user's manual for creation, everything in it, and instructions for making sure everything runs smoothly........than the Creator himself. That's why this stuff is so easy for so many of us.......we have a direct line to the Creator and Author through His Word and the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Have you ever heard Mike Pence's testimony? He was raised Catholic and a Democrat but then got saved. He said at that point everything suddenly started to become clear to him and so easy to understand, so he became a conservative.

Proverbs 1:7 - The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

KurtR

WKR
People change, generations change, what is considered "safe" changes, it doesn't mean it always gets worse...

I'm sure people in your generation also had "nuclear bomb drills" where you hid under your desks, rapes went unreported because women weren't listened too, minorities were treated even worse then they are right now, etc, etc. Picking out a single statistic from your childhood (that could have been bad but turned out ok) doesn't reflect on what we should be striving for as a nation.

I'll ask one question, how much benefit was it to have your gun/pocket knife on school grounds...? You maybe saved an extra 30 minutes of hunting time having your gun (insignificant) or nothing having your pocket knife (other than cool guy points).

It added hours to my hunting time. Had first period off and would hunt Duck’s till 9 and then done at 3 and head out pheasant or duck hunting again. Lots of time we would have our dogs with us and teachers would let us go let them out if we got class work done. Graduated in 1997 so that’s not that long ago.

kda082

WKR
I graduated HS in 87’. Not sure if it was acceptable but a lot of us kept guns in our gun racks in our back glass of our trucks. What the cool kids did.
We would also drive to Walgreens and buy a tin of Copenhagen for .89cents at age 16. We also had a smoking area at high school. That was shut down my Junior year(86). Apparently someone thought that was a bad idea.
I rode my bike into town to get skoal and Marlboro reds for $1 At the age of 14. A guy once asked the clerk if he was going to card me. He replied no, machine doesn’t ask why should I. Off I went with my smokes.

Back "when the world made sense"....

We hated everything Japanese and German. It was taught to us.
Our Viet Nam vets came home to a country which didn't largely appreciate their service.
My football coach impregnated a 16 year old cheerleader. He lost his job, but not his career.
There was overt racism in every state.
Women were lucky to make half the money men did.
There were stewardesses....period.
A Texas Instruments calculator was forbidden in school. A Schrade with 6" blade was fine.
Teachers used custom made paddles to enforce and punish. Today it's called "battery".
The NRA was a friendly organization which was known for gun safety and hunter education.
Sunday hunting was forbidden in Ohio, but I could kill fish all day.
We got upset when our teachers didn't clue us in about the pop quiz coming tomorrow.
We knew what a bow was just by seeing it.
We understood that a long rifle shot was 350 yards and 450 was stretching it.
The Big Five were really big and just plainly there to be killed.
It was normal to take a hope shot with any weapon....maybe even 3-5 shots.
My dentist smoked outside the exam room.
We never, never, ever had any reason to combine the two dissimilar words 'social' and 'distancing' in a sentence.
'Corrupt Politician' wasn't an exercise in redundancy.
"Cut his throat and bleed him out" was SOP, just as was the obligatory "tie him across the hood and drive through town".

Trial153

WKR
Back "when the world made sense"....

We hated everything Japanese and German. It was taught to us.
Our Viet Nam vets came home to a country which didn't largely appreciate their service.
My football coach impregnated a 16 year old cheerleader. He lost his job, but not his career.
There was overt racism in every state.
Women were lucky to make half the money men did.
There were stewardesses....period.
A Texas Instruments calculator was forbidden in school. A Schrade with 6" blade was fine.
Teachers used custom made paddles to enforce and punish. Today it's called "battery".
The NRA was a friendly organization which was known for gun safety and hunter education.
Sunday hunting was forbidden in Ohio, but I could kill fish all day.
We got upset when our teachers didn't clue us in about the pop quiz coming tomorrow.
We knew what a bow was just by seeing it.
We understood that a long rifle shot was 350 yards and 450 was stretching it.
The Big Five were really big and just plainly there to be killed.
It was normal to take a hope shot with any weapon....maybe even 3-5 shots.
My dentist smoked outside the exam room.
We never, never, ever had any reason to combine the two dissimilar words 'social' and 'distancing' in a sentence.
'Corrupt Politician' wasn't an exercise in redundancy.
"Cut his throat and bleed him out" was SOP, just as was the obligatory "tie him across the hood and drive through town".
That's the abbreviated list... lol

MattB

WKR

In which disciplines did you earn your PhD's?

solomtnhunter

Lil-Rokslider
My father used to tell me back when he was in school every vehicle had a gun rack and/or firearm. That's because before heading to school every kid had early morning farm chores & had to checkup on livestock. Even at 14yrs old just walking to the barn 100yds from the house he was required to take his shotgun. In doing so, often times my father would kill a raccoon, squirrel, or rabbit for dinner. Heck even in my time time growing up in the late 80's/early 90's the school knew whose families worked farms or hunted... and it was more of a "don't ask, don't tell" kinda thing with firearms being kept in our vehicles. Every guy i knew carried a pocket or skinning knife. Never once got harassed by the school or LEO. Times sure have changed.... I miss those days!

Last edited:

ddgun11

FNG
I have carried a knife for as long as I can remember, not sure what grade it was when I started. Most guys at my school had a shotgun or rifle in their truck everyday. We butchered pigs in the Ag shop every year, to serve at our annual banquet. The Ag teacher would send one of us to retrieve a .22 from our truck and the Ag teacher would shoot the pig right in the wash rack. We would then drag out our skinning knives and start processing. I have been teaching Ag for a couple years now, would probably go to jail for some of the things we did back then!

Growing up in Western Pa. (late 70's) we had shotguns in our lockers during pheasant and rabbit season. We had to follow one simple rule. No shooting until the traffic left the lot. The cover around the school and behind the ball field was awesome.

When rifle deer came in, we all had rifles. Many teachers included. No one complained or thought twice about it.

Simpler times that are missed.
Where in western PA? My dads from Latrobe and when he was in Nam late 60’s I spent a couple years living with my grandparents in Ligonier.

Billinsd

WKR
The everything was great back in the day remeniesin been going on for generations, we think things and people were all great and the current generation all sucks. While it's good conversation to instill comradeship among your contemporaries its overly simplified, and as often as not true. There are things that were better and things that are worse. Same as now.
I'm kinda in the middle, more towards the things were better in the past. Things were sure more simple and made more sense. We didn't wear helmets and did crazier things. I grew up in the burbs and we didn't bring guns to school. We did carry pocket knives. I was extremely sickly with asthma and my parents were extremely protective for the times. My resisted us riding our bikes in the street and when he finally let us, we initially had to wear motorcycle helmets, because his policeman buddy had witnessed so many car accidents and head injuries on bikes. He reluctantly relaxed these restrictions as I got older. We did some risky things, like towing each other with chains or ropes on city streets, and rode some in the back of trucks. I knew several neighbors and friends who's parents were "happy go lucky". I knew several kids who got killed or nearly killed doing stupid things. It seemed like there were more mean people. There were more seriously screwed up parents I remember that would beat their kids if they did poorly in sports, crap like that. Most all of us got spanked by the hand and my elementary principal spanked kids. Spanking was not that bad, but there are better methods now.
Overall it was far better back in the 70s and 80s to be a kid, even if more dangerous for some. Us have dominated American life since the 50s up to and including now, by sheer numbers alone! We were the first spoiled generation, because we were the first generation that living conditions so greatly improved. We rebelled and raised hell like no other generation before or after. We are the last generation to really live the Americana lifestyle. Actually the first half of Generation X was. We had lots of mostly good and some bad.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
I don't consider him arrogant. Opinionated? yes!! I'm very similar.