When to best scout a unit?

Deadeye11

FNG
So I'm taking in all the advice you guys are giving and am planning a summer scouting trip to Colorado. Will be doing 1st Archery hunt Mid-September.

My question to you guys is there any preferred time to scout over another between June and the first week in August?

Just looking to put boots to the ground and do some old fashion sxouting. Thanks in advance!

PNWGATOR

WKR
Listen to the most recent Avery Adventures podcast with Jim Carr. He talks about just that along with some other good insight on effective scouting.

blkntancj

FNG
Depends alot on the country too. Where I archery hunt you can typically go scout in August and not see a damn thing, then come early mid September and BAM, full of elk

Pre-scouting for me is more often about learning the terrain and trails, nearby amenities, figuring out road access etc,. Prior to the actual hunt, I like to know of anything that could possibly slow me down from actually throwing on my pack and leaving the truck. So much will change between June and mid-September that your first few days of the hunt will likely be your most effective time to actually find elk, though it certainly doesn't hurt to know where they spend time mid-summer.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Best time to "scout" would have to be during the time frame you plan on hunting. So many things can change when that first day of hunting seasons starts. Knowing how other hunters approach and where the game goes when pressured is the biggest factor.
With that being said, I agree that know the lay of the land is a big one. Also where the cows are at if you can find them on your scouting trip. Look for old rutting sign. Check multiple roads and access points for back up spots. Especially if youve never driven the roads before. condition of the road, camp sites, ect..
Between June and August I would pick August. Ive done late July scouting trips as well. Always try to mix some fishing in for the scouting trip.

OP
D

Deadeye11

FNG
Totally agree and appreciate the feedback. When I said scouting, I definitely was meaning more of the "lay of the land" vs. Where are the elk now. While I'll be looking for sign, I want to prevent as many "roadblocks" that would screw up the first few days of the hunt.

Swede

WKR
If I could make one scouting trip it would be as close to the time I plan to hunt as possible. While you are looking at terrain and for good camp spots etc, watch for actively used trails, last year's rubs around bedding areas and old wallows. They are usually a good indicator that elk are in the area close to the time you plan to hunt. Hunting pressure or other things can push them out, but you are getting close.

Take an extra week right before the season starts and Scout right into hunting time, you should be in best condition by then and know where everything is at.

OP
D

Deadeye11

FNG
Take an extra week right before the season starts and Scout right into hunting time, you should be in best condition by then and know where everything is at.
Unfortunately my hunting partner and I can only take off the 10 days we have planned currently (During September) but can take extra time before the season in July or August.

Pre-scouting for me is more often about learning the terrain and trails, nearby amenities, figuring out road access etc,. Prior to the actual hunt, I like to know of anything that could possibly slow me down from actually throwing on my pack and leaving the truck. So much will change between June and mid-September that your first few days of the hunt will likely be your most effective time to actually find elk, though it certainly doesn't hurt to know where they spend time mid-summer.

I agree with Nick here and I try to hunt new areas all the time because I think its fun to check out a new place.

I generally have a rule of 3 days to spend scouting before hunting a new area. They dont have to be three consecutive days just three trips. First you do all your escouting, and calling people. Then day one is just learning roads and how to get to place you wanna be from your escouting. Probably wont see any animals because your busy learning about the roads, fences, gates, trails etc. Day two you have all the logistics figured out and you can actually check those spots for good feed, water, cover, wind paterns and maybe see some animals. If day two taught you that your spot sucks you check another spot on day three.

I also try to get a sping turkey tag in new areas. So I can hunt some stupid turkeys and take care of day one type scouting activities.