When to bring the stove?

My buddy and I will be heading out Elk hunting on the 18-25 of September and I was curious if we should plan on bringing me the Kifaru stove. I'm guessing the average lows will be in the mid 30's.

What nighttime lows do you plan on bringing your stove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Nevermind, don't want to hijack thread, will start another.

Last edited:
For some reason my buddy and I debate this every year. Then we remind each other of the cold, wet, Sept snow and rain that we have seen in the past. Nothing like trudging to base camp and getting warm and dry. Bring it! (I say that and we do horse drops and bivy out from there so no backpack carry of stove?

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
Guys - I am also really curious about this. My buddy just got a tipi, and I am really curious if it is worth it to buy one of these stoves... It seems like it is overkill here in colorado. I have never been cold on an archery hunt. at its coldest in the past 3 years its been in the low 20's during bow season. Just curious if those who have purchased one before have actually used it. Keep in mind - we have no horses, and have to hike in everywhere we go. It doesn't seem to make sense for the ultralight approach...

OP
K
For some reason my buddy and I debate this every year. Then we remind each other of the cold, wet, Sept snow and rain that we have seen in the past. Nothing like trudging to base camp and getting warm and dry. Bring it! (I say that and we do horse drops and bivy out from there so no backpack carry of stove?

The only thing is that we'll be backpacking it...our core area is 6-8 miles off the trailhead. Our packs are right around 40 pounds right now.

Just curious what temps are do you guys get chilly at night without a stove. (i realize there's a thousand variables...just curious)

We never burn a stove while sleeping. Only time I did that was a December hunt where it was 10 degrees. We used a vented propane Nu-Way for that.

Mainly to dry off and get comfy in evening cooking etc.

I usually will bring mine just for cooking and drying clothes out during archery. late season archery at 11K can get sketchy weather and i've hunted in the teens late September. It's worth the money and if you have another guy to carry it, let him while you carry tipi. I have a 6 man tipi with med box stove. Easy 4 man with stove and gear pile. I didn't buy a stove to just look at it in the garage and it is nice waking up to a warm tent rather than freezing cold tent that has concentration in it. Bring it, set it up, use it.

i pack mine in for archery. i mainly run it in the morning ,start it from my bag way before first light. in five minuets im getting dressed making coffie in a warm teepee.my partners usually drift in,drink coffie and plan the day.

ebhegele

FNG
we brought the stove to on an arizona lottery sheep hunt and it was literally the best idea ever. We could have done fine without it but man theres nothing wrong with being warm and cozy while you sleep

I haven't bothered with a stove yet. I pack right, stay dry and prevent "needing" a stove to dry gear. By the end of the day I am beat, I eat and crash out. A stove is a lot of work.

Shrek

WKR
A stove is super nice to have. I'm like one of the previous posters in that I light it from my sleeping bag and warm my Sawtooth up before I dress and eat. I started setting up my pot with water the night before and set it on top of the stove. By the time my tent is warmed up I have boiling water for coffee and oatmeal. A nice way to start my day. If it has been a cold day a burn in the stove drives the chill from my bones and warms my bag some before I crawl into it.

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
We pack ours on every trip. We weather can change quickly. On this hunt it went from hot and sunny to snow. We could have done it without the stove but it sure was nice.

50bc6fa923f234a8cb88734ed338ed7f.jpg

OP
K
Thanks for the input guys. I'm pretty sure we'll be bringing it. No sense in leaving it at the house when our packs are pretty light as it is. If the stove keeps us comfortable enough to stay the full 7 days it will be worth it.

There's already snow at 14k this week. I know none of us hunt that high, but it's alway possible. There's potentially snow this wkend at 11-12k along continential divide. Alway be prepared for the worst.

IdahoElk

WKR
If I'm packing camp in on a horse I may bring a stove but 99% of the time it stays home,it's a luxury not a necessity for Sept. Elk hunting,
If this is for rifle then it comes with me.

Last edited:

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input guys. I'm pretty sure we'll be bringing it. No sense in leaving it at the house when our packs are pretty light as it is. If the stove keeps us comfortable enough to stay the full 7 days it will be worth it.

Dang, I guess my pack just got 3.5 lbs heavier.

Seriously though, it's probably a good idea.

I haven't bothered with a stove yet. I pack right, stay dry and prevent "needing" a stove to dry gear. By the end of the day I am beat, I eat and crash out. A stove is a lot of work.

how do you manage to just "stay dry"? now thats a trick i would love to learn.

Last edited: