When to hunt in Colorado

Darkhorse

FNG
2013 will be my first archery elk hunt in Colorado. The archery season starts in late August and goes until late September with muzzleloader right in the middle. I have about a week that I can take off of work. When is the best time to hunt out of that month??

Thanks for the input!

I don't have the archery hunting experience of other guys on this site, but I would say go mid-to-late September. The elk were still bugling all night and first thing in the morning in my area during 1st rifle season.

That's a subjective question OP. if less hunters is the experience you are looking for and you don't mind hunting silent elk then the first week is the best. If its screaming bulls you are after then the last week of archery is best. Or you could be like me and just go hunt them. Versatility as an elk killer is a must and I don't let the moon phase decide when I hunt. :)

Craig4791

WKR
^^^^ This

And stay away the second week if you can. Thats when the muzzy guys will be out there with you as well.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I thought muzzy season was the 3rd week?
I'm going the 2nd and 3rd week I feel like the last week is gonna get crowded. But I could be wrong?

Craig4791

WKR
I was there last year in the second week of Sept and Muzzy guys were everywhere! Just make sure you check the dates I don't know what the 2013 seasons are?

rhendrix

WKR
I'm about to put in for two weeks from Sept. 1st to the 14th...that'll put me there right before the muzzle loader guys get there and spread everything out, to be fair, I'm really more interested in chasing a high country mule deer and OTC elk is my back up plan. I know the last two weeks have the greatest potential for the rut to be on, but having never hunted elk country before...and elk being my back up plan if I don't pull a mule deer tag, I'm trying to figure out the best possible scenario. Suggestions?

bbrown

WKR
I'm about to put in for two weeks from Sept. 1st to the 14th...that'll put me there right before the muzzle loader guys get there and spread everything out, to be fair, I'm really more interested in chasing a high country mule deer and OTC elk is my back up plan. I know the last two weeks have the greatest potential for the rut to be on, but having never hunted elk country before...and elk being my back up plan if I don't pull a mule deer tag, I'm trying to figure out the best possible scenario. Suggestions?

If this is the case I would definitely go earlier. Keep in mind the way the seasons fall this year Labor Day is going to fall on the first weekend so there will be more traffic.