When to put your dog down?

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend who is a vet. He tells me a day too early is better than a minute too late. I have done three dogs now and cry like a baby every time. But it’s cruel to watch them suffer, knowing they won’t improve and selfishly you just grab on to those moments when they seem ok. You block out the bad when it’s happening until it’s so frequent you can’t ignore it. Don’t wait too long.

Kentivan

FNG
I am very sorry to hear about your dog... I understand this feeling as few years ago I had to put my spaniel down when it was only 8 years old... All because of Tick-borne Encephalitis.. I didn’t cover the bite in time and the infection got to the brain and in the end I no longer had a dog, but a breathing body that didn’t understand anythingю.
I guess it is time to put down your dog when such an existence brings nothing but suffering and discomfort to both of you :(

mi650

WKR
We had our 1st dog, a lab, put down at 14 1/2.

We were selfish, and let him go too long. We promised ourselves that we'd never do that again.

It's really heartbreaking, but when it's time, it isn't about you.

OP
isItFallYet
Does everyone take their dog to get Euthanized or do people do it like Old Yeller? This is not a calloused response, I have a two year old pup that we love. What’s most fair to the dog? Death at the hands of a stranger or their best friend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn’t find it in me to take her to the vet. She hasn’t liked the vet since they removed a total of 23 of her teeth. Today I took her for her last walk in the mountains. Her last meal was my last pack of elk backstrap (Monday evening). Today she wouldn’t even eat treats, and I knew what had to be done. I didn’t expect that I would feel as bad as I do, she was a damn good dog. I do know that she died relaxed and in peace, even though I was definitely not relaxed or in peace. Us men are so lucky to have dogs that give their lives to make us happy and be obedient. It’s really not fair to them, but we have to be obliged to do what we think is best for them at the end. I did that, even though it was extremely hard. I actually asked a couple of friends to go with me to get it done, but they knew her and couldn’t do it. I haven’t wept in as long as I can remember, but today I did. I also haven’t drank bourbon in the daytime for a long time, but today, I did that too.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I couldn’t find it in me to take her to the vet. She hasn’t like the vet since they removed a total of 23 of her teeth. Today I took her for her last walk in the mountains. Her last meal was my last pack of elk backstrap (Monday evening). Today she wouldn’t even eat treats, and I knew what had to be done. I didn’t expect that I would feel as bad as I do, she was a damn good dog. I do know that she died relaxed and in peace, even though I was definitely not relaxed or in peace. Us men are so lucky to have dogs that give their lives to make us happy and be obedient. It’s really not fair to them, but we have to be obliged to do what we think is best for them at the end. I did that, even though it was extremely hard. I actually asked a couple of friends to go with me to get it done, but they knew her and couldn’t do it. I haven’t wept in as long as I can remember, but today I did. I also haven’t drank bourbon in the daytime for a long time, but today, I did that too.
Find peace in knowing you did right by her. I have shed many tears over several dogs. RIP girl.

OP
isItFallYet
I think most take them to get put to sleep. I have a really close friend who took his up into the hills and took care of it himself - best dog he ever had and the hardest thing he has ever had to do according to him. He said he felt like he owed his dog a peaceful death after everything it gave him and he knew that wouldn’t happen at the vet. I totally get that - my dog hates the vet. Tough decision and one I hope I don’t have to make for a while.
I’m with your friend on this. I couldn’t find the cajones to take her to the vet. She hated going there. No way I could make that her last car trip. It was definitely not easy.

I’m with your friend on this. I couldn’t find the cajones to take her to the vet. She hated going there. No way I could make that her last car trip. It was definitely not easy.
The more I have thought about that experience, the more I agree with it. Its not about whether or not it is going to be harder for you, its what is easiest on the dog. Most people don’t deserve a good dog unfortunately. I would rather die in my happy place at the hands of a loved one when the time comes than a hospital full of doctors and nurses.

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn’t find it in me to take her to the vet. She hasn’t liked the vet since they removed a total of 23 of her teeth. Today I took her for her last walk in the mountains. Her last meal was my last pack of elk backstrap (Monday evening). Today she wouldn’t even eat treats, and I knew what had to be done. I didn’t expect that I would feel as bad as I do, she was a damn good dog. I do know that she died relaxed and in peace, even though I was definitely not relaxed or in peace. Us men are so lucky to have dogs that give their lives to make us happy and be obedient. It’s really not fair to them, but we have to be obliged to do what we think is best for them at the end. I did that, even though it was extremely hard. I actually asked a couple of friends to go with me to get it done, but they knew her and couldn’t do it. I haven’t wept in as long as I can remember, but today I did. I also haven’t drank bourbon in the daytime for a long time, but today, I did that too.

It doesn’t matter how people handle it and I know it’s hard either way but I’m firmly in your camp that you handled it the right way. Much respect to you and your dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang man I'm sorry about your dog. Even though that was probably one of the toughest things you'll do I think you made the right call. RIP to your girl.

I read an article from a vet regarding this subject, he said make sure you stay with your dog during the process. He went on to say how dogs panic, frantically searching for the owners that feel they aren’t able to deal with having to see their dog put to sleep.

The guy across the street from me had someone come to his house to euthanize his dog, that seems like a really good option.