When to stop working out before a hunt?

Weber

FNG
Depends on what your doing. I'll usually stop weight lifting 2-4 weeks before a hunt depending on where/what I'm going after. I'll still ruck though. Weightlifting just seems more prone to causing strains and such I doont want to have in the hunt,

Just curious if there is a guideline of when to stop working out before a hunt. Maybe not stop altogether, but stop the intense work. I want to make sure I'm fully recovered and not sore going into a hunt.
Do most of ya'll stop heavy workouts, but continue to do some type of walking of rucking up to the day before you leave or do you continue normal workouts up until you leave? Thanks.
I just got back from a Newfoundland moose hunt. Lots and lots of walking in thick bogs. I went into the trip having taken a 3 or 4 days off. I was good to go.

Great question/topic.....listening to your body I think is key. If you're feeling sore just do something light walk a mile get the blood flowing. I would personally back off the weight lifting a week prior.

I tapered off this last week focusing more on stretching and drinking more water. Did one last weighted hike early side of the week.

We leave Monday 17 hours to Colorado from Midwest, I will do a one mile jog today and stretch later. Tomorrow just stretch for 20-30 minutes. I trained hard the past few months....I'll report back on how my approach worked.

I can’t say that I actually workout anymore. I mostly do a 10-15 minute session a couple of times throughout the day of KB swings, goblet squats and body weight stuff, but I usually just go for a hike and chop firewood during the summer. I also live within the areas that I hunt so that makes it easier. I don’t believe that there is a workout that truly simulates being in the mountains, but I understand that not everyone has that opportunity so they have to do something to prepare.

OP
E

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
Great question/topic.....listening to your body I think is key. If you're feeling sore just do something light walk a mile get the blood flowing. I would personally back off the weight lifting a week prior.

I tapered off this last week focusing more on stretching and drinking more water. Did one last weighted hike early side of the week.

We leave Monday 17 hours to Colorado from Midwest, I will do a one mile jog today and stretch later. Tomorrow just stretch for 20-30 minutes. I trained hard the past few months....I'll report back on how my approach worked.
I flew in/out of Denver this week for work. I saw several people checking in/out bows and hunting gear. I couldn't help but look to the west at the mountains and wish I was hunting instead of working. Good luck when you're out there. I'm sure whatever you did to prepare will only help.

Hammer the cardio and legs through the day before we drive out on Tuesday. Hike in Friday. 3 or 4 days of recovery is perfect before the big push. Stretch really good before bed on the travel and acclimation days. Minimal alcohol; but lots of carbs, water, sleep and ibuprofen.

Dmbjr

FNG
Taper week is my favorite part! I usually just focus on stretching and walking around the week before. I'm mainly concerned with an injury and going into the hunt sore. Enjoy the fruits of your workouts and take it easy. :)
I’d fully agree about 5 days of just stretching and walks just to stay loose.

I find I tend to avoid anything that has a higher injury potential - heavy or max lifts, etc. I don’t want to tweak something (or worse) right before a big / expensive hunt. Having said that, I will work out up to the day before on the assumption that I won’t see a gym for days.

Programming I used this year had a de-load start one week prior to hunt. 7 days = 1-3 were approximately 50% of what I had been doing and days 4-7 were complete rest.

I said I would post how things went. My tapering a week before was just fine. Legs withstood brutal Colorado terrain, however our initial hike in was hell. My lungs were on fire from the altitude change. Next time I will plan on getting there a day or two earlier to acclimate. Full moon didn't do us any favors, tag soup this year but we had fun and I am ready to come back for redemption. Much respect for Colorado public land.

Islandeer

FNG
I said I would post how things went. My tapering a week before was just fine. Legs withstood brutal Colorado terrain, however our initial hike in was hell. My lungs were on fire from the altitude change. Next time I will plan on getting there a day or two earlier to acclimate. Full moon didn't do us any favors, tag soup this year but we had fun and I am ready to come back for redemption. Much respect for Colorado public land.
Good on yah for gutting out that first climb.
I’ve been sailing along
Upping my vertical on trail work then blew a calf which was recovered then I pushed it again.
Dumb then dummer, 😂 so 12 days out now.

Laying off of that sort of work and sticking to
recovery of all sorts with some form of aerobic movement.

So don’t do what I did.😳

Took 7 days completely off before the initial hike in and really regret it. Should’ve done like others on here have said and cut it back to 50%.
And as strange as it sounds, after being sore from lifting almost every day for the last year, I really missed having some sore muscles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely not be working out the day before a big hunt. You're just asking for something to go wrong. I usually cut it completely off 3-5 days before a hunt to prevent any injuries and nurse any I may have.