When to stop?

How long before your hunt do you take a break from training to give your body a rest before the full on gauntlet of the mountains? Do you stop at all?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Following. Curious to hear what others think.

I primarily do Xfit, running, and rucking on the treadmills. I usually keep going right up until Its time to leave, tho time gets short those last few days so I sometimes miss a few workouts right before leaving due to time constraints. I usually just back down a little on weight and mileage, but I more from paranoia over an injury than anything else. Legs get plenty of rest on the 20 hour drive! HaHa!

You can’t cheat the mountain

I don't stop, but I become increasingly more careful as my season approaches. If something doesn't feel right I don't push it. Honestly though it's taken me like 12 years to figure it out for myself, and I'm not done tweaking yet.

I don't stop working out or shooting prior to hunting. I actually feel like I am relaxing when I am hunting and I shoot way less. It's almost like my hunts are a vacation.

OP
ShortMountain91
More not stopping than stopping. I'm kinda surprised by that. My last couple hunts think I stopped about a week before. That was probably overkill. I like 3-4 days idea to get rid of any soreness. Seems like a sweet spot

EastMont

FNG
I don't stop, but I become increasingly more careful as my season approaches. If something doesn't feel right I don't push it. Honestly though it's taken me like 12 years to figure it out for myself, and I'm not done tweaking yet.

I run a lot of trail ultras and what the original poster described is called a Taper

For the last two weeks up to the "event" you reduce you mileage and concentrate on low (impact) and slow (speed) workouts. I take the dogs out, have fun with friends, and like the guy I quoted above- be cautious and deliberate. This applies for running or lifting. Its a good time to work on your form of whatever activity.

I made this mistake before a goat hunt last year, got careless on a trail doing a unnessary speed workout, and rolled a ankle really bad- four days before my trip. Keep you workouts fun, low, and slow.

More not stopping than stopping. I'm kinda surprised by that. My last couple hunts think I stopped about a week before. That was probably overkill. I like 3-4 days idea to get rid of any soreness. Seems like a sweet spot

IMO if it takes 3-4 days to recover from "sore" after a workout something is not right. If my workout that is supposedly prepping me for a journey is making me sore there is either too much work being done, or there is a functional problem.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Used to train hard up till the day I left now 56 next week tweek something it takes forever to heal as noted I now work on basics form and simply maintaining as we draw closer to mountain time....I don’t stop simply reduce possibility of injury👍

KHNC

WKR
You're right, I'm 46 and in the best physical shape of my life. :)
I turned 50 in May, and i am the strongest i have ever been. However, i still get sore in my legs for a day or so after DL's , lunges, squats...etc. I always stop 2 days prior. I train 4 days a week and take the wkds off normally anyway.

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
I stay in the gym all year but as season gets close I start doing more hiking in rough terrain with my pack on in place of weights a few times a week. About the only time I don’t is I’ll give myself 2 weeks off after chasing elk most of sept. I’d rather stay in shape then trying to “get in shape” every year.

*zap*

WKR
IMO if it takes 3-4 days to recover from "sore" after a workout something is not right. If my workout that is supposedly prepping me for a journey is making me sore there is either too much work being done, or there is a functional problem.

It really depends on what a person is doing for exercise. Certain things are going to produce soreness for a 1-3 days no matter what and you could hit 4 days depending on how advanced you are at an exercise and how acclimated your body is to that exercise.

Couple of days. I spend those driving to the hunt. I do try not to do things that will injure me though. Kind of breaking my own rules this year as I have a 50 mile mountain bike race/ride a few weeks prior to our hunt. Hope I don't regret that....lol.

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
couple of days here too (travel days) just to make sure nothing is sore and still recovering. not going to be doing anything crazy with high reps that'll lead to extended delay onset muscle soreness.

OP
ShortMountain91
I'm 28 and I get sore for a day after every weight session for the muscle group I'm targeting. If it's legs it's usually 2-3 days of soreness. I don't think there's anything functionally wrong but I do try to push to my limit each time

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of people treat their body like sh*t and that is why certain issues arise. you don't exercise only when you want to hunt, it should a life style. and rest should be a very regulation thing so when its time to hunt, energy is 100%.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dial it back as hunting season closes in- the heavy weight lifting is replaced with bodyweight stuff, more for avoiding a freak injury than anything

my running/hiking I continue, but cut out my long runs on the weekends and any targeted workouts ie speed/hill work

I've been at it long enough that my hunting season just blends in (and replaces) my normal workout