When to stop?

I stop rucking 1 week out. This season I have 2 antelope tags. I might not taper until I start deer hunting.
I continue to train for absolute strength 2x per week throughout the season. I cut overall volume way back and try to avoid any unnecessary coaching related lifting when possible.
I increase lunchtime range trips and dry fire daily.

Right now I’m doing 1-1/2 hours of stairs with a pack on once a weekend . Backpack hill sprints for 30 minutes every Wednesday. The other 5 days are 30 minutes of high intensity CrossFit style workout followed by at least 4 miles of running. My legs are never not sore. I slow it down a week before my trip to recover, but maintain a disciplined schedule to keep the mentality. I replace workouts with swimming if I have access to a pool, yoga, cold therapy, or sauna for the last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I don’t really think about it or worry about it much these days. I Strength train 3x a week, Mtn bike 3-4 days a week between May and hunting season and do a couple of weekends scouting before first rifle. Then I show up and do it. Living and playing in the mountains regularly, the pack out is really the only significant stressor if a properly planned hunt.

That being said, if you’re coming from low elevation, the altitude is a big smack and a long, multi day drive can you leave you in less than peak shape, so I’d probably taper a week out. At that point, there’s no real benefit to having significantly stressful training events. If anything, a couple of shorter sessions that leave you feeling confident about the shape you are in following the weeks/months (and your entire life’s worth) of training background has prepared you for. If you’re not ready for a Backcountry Hunt a week out, then you won’t be ready anyway. It’s more akin to being in shape for a Mtn climbing expedition where performance is spread out over days/weeks rather than the strategy of peaking for a single day like a race or competition on an exact day or 2-3 day window stage race etc. The only thing thing on the line is how much your preparation, or lack thereof, will allow you to enjoy Your trip and that preparation was determined weeks/months even years before your trip so killing yourself in one workout 3 days out will contribute nothing.

FlyGuy

WKR
I don’t really think about it or worry about it much these days. I Strength train 3x a week, Mtn bike 3-4 days a week between May and hunting season and do a couple of weekends scouting before first rifle. Then I show up and do it. Living and playing in the mountains regularly, the pack out is really the only significant stressor if a properly planned hunt.

That being said, if you’re coming from low elevation, the altitude is a big smack and a long, multi day drive can you leave you in less than peak shape, so I’d probably taper a week out. At that point, there’s no real benefit to having significantly stressful training events. If anything, a couple of shorter sessions that leave you feeling confident about the shape you are in following the weeks/months (and your entire life’s worth) of training background has prepared you for. If you’re not ready for a Backcountry Hunt a week out, then you won’t be ready anyway. It’s more akin to being in shape for a Mtn climbing expedition where performance is spread out over days/weeks rather than the strategy of peaking for a single day like a race or competition on an exact day or 2-3 day window stage race etc. The only thing thing on the line is how much your preparation, or lack thereof, will allow you to enjoy Your trip and that preparation was determined weeks/months even years before your trip so killing yourself in one workout 3 days out will contribute nothing.

Well said. You are correct, you aren’t going to fix your fitness the week prior. I just like to stick with the routine but at lower weight to prevent injury, as you said.

I’ve gotten in progressively better shape every year now for 5 years. I’m in as good of shape now at 45 as I was at 17. But, every year I feel like the suck level stays the same. I can just push my body to do more and cover more ground and steeper terrain, but whatever fitness level I’m at I still I go to redline and it hurts just as much. It’s still not any easier or any fun to climb that sh:t, but with the improved fitness I can get more done at the same level of suck intensity! I wonder if others feel the same?

You can’t cheat the mountain

I def cut down on the heavy lifting focus more on cardio (assault bike, rower, etc). Once a week I’ll do a long run and of course do some rucking in between

njdoxie

WKR
I taper off to nothing the week before to avoid an injury that I don’t have time to recover from and also I’m sick of punishing workouts. When I get back, I’m exhausted and burnt out, it takes me 7-10 days to feel normal and then I resume my workouts.