When to use base layers?

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
WI stand hunter here that has the opportunity to hunt mule deer in Wyoming this October so trying to do as much research as I can on western hunting and wanted some opinions. I have plenty of different weight base layers for hunting, skiing, hiking, and biking but would only ever wear then on cold days. Since the temps I'll be walking/glassing in will range from the 20's to the 70's, should I just wear my light pair of merino wool (170 wt?) leggings and shirt all the time or will that get to hot? I have synthetic stuff too but would prefer merino as I find it more comfortable. No zip off stuff and not buying anything new so just seeing what others are doing.

I run a lightweight FL base layer all the time unless it is downright cold, then I step up in weight of my baselayer or over layer. Everyone's body is going to be a bit different, so you will need to find what is comfortable for you. But, I prefer merino base layers or staving off the stink. In hot weather I will wear a lightweight merino base and at times a sitka lightweight base over it for the camo when I feel I need it

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wear them anytime I know I'll be sweating while hunting.........so every time I go out hunting whether it's below 0 or 100+.......they absorb the sweat either way.

Last edited:
I don’t wear base layers at all if hunting out west of the temp is 30 or over. That is just me through. My legs rarely get cold if I am moving.

Poser

WKR
Not sure if I’ve ever worn baselayers pants all day on a hunt. When it gets too hot, take them off. Also, zip offs will change your life.

stonewall

WKR
I often don’t wear baselayers in September for elk. Can’t remember what I’ve done in October and November. Probably a mix.
I tend to throw on puffy jacket (and sometimes pant if need be). Or my rain gear if need be (sometimes I do that just for wind). Just easier to add on and take off if I’m sitting for a bit.