When were "the good old days"?

PassCreek

FNG
For me, it’s definitely now. I used to get one chance and if I blew it, well I wouldn’t get another. I get multiple chances now. I hope this keeps up for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 (+/-) was the end of the good old days based on several factors.

Had more elk, less hunters, less predators, less internet, no iPhone.

Deadfall

WKR
Its today. Today is the good day. If you get out of bed and make most of it.
Took my wife and her dad elk hunting yesterday. He's getting old and can't move well. We drove around in highly pressured area most of morning. I sat in the back listening to the 2 of them tell stories from days gone by in the area we were messing around in. I ate snacks, drank coffee and listened. Laughing hysterically from time to time. On these old roads other hunters were driving all over. We kept seeing elk and deer tracks in the snow all kinda headed to a fairly nasty hole.
Around noon time we at the top end of this area. Listening to the old man talk about how elk move in this country I suggested they go sit on a main travel route. I walked back a ways. Dropped into this hole and crossed. Got the wind at my back and messed around. They had a 33 percent chance elk would head their way.
Anyhow it took me about 5 hours to get back too truck. They both had cows down. Pretty good ol day.

FullValue

Lil-Rokslider
When I think of the gool ol days, I think about days I can't replace or replicate mainly because of the people who made those days good. Dads, Grandpas etc who are either gone or can't go out any more. I still have good days every time I go out and continue to make memories those will be good ol days in the future. (one hopes)

OP
A
Yesterday was finally the good old days. Cut off a herd of elk and shot a dinky bull! If I’d waited a few minutes a big guy came through. A filled tag is the good old days!

Public land may not be as good as the old days but I’m still grateful we have this resource.

OP
A
When I think of the gool ol days, I think about days I can't replace or replicate mainly because of the people who made those days good. Dads, Grandpas etc who are either gone or can't go out any more. I still have good days every time I go out and continue to make memories those will be good ol days in the future. (one hopes)
Absolutely! My first hunting mentor was my father in law. He killed more animals in jeans and flannel than I will in my fancy hunting clothes. Great guy and a ton of fun. Cancer got him a couple years ago. Those memories beat any monster bull I’ll ever find.

Elk97

WKR
As far as hunting pressure goes, I got disgusted in 1972 when the sun came up and I saw three other hunters on the same ridge I was on. That was in the Methow valley near Winthrop,WA where we lived. Quit hunting for awhile after that until I figured out it wasn't going to get any better, and it hasn't.