When/why did people begin starting sentences with 'so?'

ODB

WKR
I have noticed in the past few years it seems everyone is starting sentences with 'so.' Spoken AND written.

So I went on vacation..
So i:m looking for a new gun...
So i'm wondering...

This phenomenon seems to span a wide range of people as far as interest groups - but not really older people, so it must have something to do with the younger generations.

I am in the middle of editing a shitpile of stuff for a technology startup and while the team is very smart, every damn third sentence starts with 'so,' "So, to enable the code, you'll need to do XYZ." How about "To enable the code..."??

It's gotten to the point where I often just search and delete every 'so' in a document.

I am not sure of the source of 'so' at the beginning of sentences, but for the love of Pete, if you see one, delete it, if you say one, stop.

That is all...

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR

from the article: "Starting sentences with "so" isn't a trend or a thing. However it may strike you, people aren't doing it any more frequently than they were 50 or 100 years ago.

Bullshit. I literally (and I mean that literally) just deleted seven "so"s out of a 588-word tech doc - all started a sentence.

They are as useless as tits on a boar hog...

wyodan

WKR
from the article: "Starting sentences with "so" isn't a trend or a thing. However it may strike you, people aren't doing it any more frequently than they were 50 or 100 years ago.

Bullshit. I literally (and I mean that literally) just deleted seven "so"s out of a 588-word tech doc - all started a sentence.

They are as useless as tits on a boar hog...
That's mighty funny that they are typing it out.

Maverick1

WKR
I have noticed in the past few years it seems everyone is starting sentences with 'so.' Spoken AND written.

So I went on vacation..
So i:m looking for a new gun...
So i'm wondering...

This phenomenon seems to span a wide range of people as far as interest groups - but not really older people, so it must have something to do with the younger generations.

I am in the middle of editing a shitpile of stuff for a technology startup and while the team is very smart, every damn third sentence starts with 'so,' "So, to enable the code, you'll need to do XYZ." How about "To enable the code..."??

It's gotten to the point where I often just search and delete every 'so' in a document.

I am not sure of the source of 'so' at the beginning of sentences, but for the love of Pete, if you see one, delete it, if you say one, stop.

That is all...
So what? :D

Reactions: ODB
OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Personally, language was designed to convey ideas. Then somewhere along the way someone came along and put rules to it to make themselves feel special. If you can convey the idea and the other can understand you, what does it really matter?

That's just it - to communicate in a way that is most effective, it has to be done through a convention that is easily understood by the widest group of people. This is why languages die - because they become comprehensible by fewer and fewer people.

If an idea gets lost in the language, can it really be conveyed? No.

CorbLand

WKR
That's just it - to communicate in a way that is most effective, it has to be done through a convention that is easily understood by the widest group of people. This is why languages die - because they become comprehensible by fewer and fewer people.

If an idea gets lost in the language, can it really be conveyed? No.
Does adding the word “so” to the beginning of a sentence render you incapable of understanding the idea that is being conveyed?

Also, far from an expert and I am sure there are 10 people on here that could correct me but I am pretty sure languages are more likely to die when they do not evolve and change with the times versus the chosen vernacular to start a sentence with.

Last edited:

Sea Wolf

Lil-Rokslider
"so" can be used when you're making the point of a subject or concluding an idea or concept. I think "so" is now being when presenting a fact or idea outright to state that a point is being made without the prior dialog.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
This is funny, since I started recording myself I hear all my idiosyncrasies and "so" is one of them. So, I've tried to consciously say it less and use other words to fill in.

MattB

WKR
I think it started at the same time that People started saying "feel" instead of "think".

"I feel like I should know the answer to your question, but I just can't come up with it."
As my buddy tells his wife "feelings aren't facts".