When/why did people begin starting sentences with 'so?'

Billinsd

WKR
I have noticed in the past few years it seems everyone is starting sentences with 'so.' Spoken AND written.

So I went on vacation..
So i:m looking for a new gun...
So i'm wondering...

This phenomenon seems to span a wide range of people as far as interest groups - but not really older people, so it must have something to do with the younger generations.

I am in the middle of editing a shitpile of stuff for a technology startup and while the team is very smart, every damn third sentence starts with 'so,' "So, to enable the code, you'll need to do XYZ." How about "To enable the code..."??

It's gotten to the point where I often just search and delete every 'so' in a document.

I am not sure of the source of 'so' at the beginning of sentences, but for the love of Pete, if you see one, delete it, if you say one, stop.

That is all...
Like other things regarding speaking and writing moderation is key. I use "so" to take a pause in a sentence and for emphasis, usually in summary. I was born and raised in California and got so tired of the crazy laws, taxes and upside down culture. So, I have been considering moving for decades now. It's annoying used like this: So, I got out of bed. So, then I got dressed. So, I started many sentences with so. So, I sound like and idiot to people. I use some filler words on occasion like "though", and never realized it until someone pointed it out to me. I didn't think it was a problem, though. However, I usually don't end my sentences with though. Metaphors are my space ship for crafting my expressions.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
I don't want to overstate the day to day difficulty of my chosen profession, but your day doesn't sound half-bad to me. Maybe take a Midol before you get started in the mornings?

I'm mostly ball-busting here, but of all the annoying trends, the one that bugs me the most is all the complaining over minor inconveniences and stuff that really doesn't matter. Unfortunately, that one doesn't appear to be limited to young people.

No idea what your day-to-day is, but I would be willing to bet there are things you see that annoy the hell out of you.

Imagine people started writing all of the “ums” they say in a spoken conversation.

This is the same thing. It’s largely a social contagion, and a stupid one at that.

Slay!

I always liked the old one "did you catch any deer last week on your vacation? " No luck .I was chasing a really nice buck down a hill and was getting real close . He jumped the stream and then a fence on to private just I was about to catch him or no they just weren't biting . So, (sorry) no I did not "catch " any deer on my vacation.

Sooo… I’ve gotten several belly laughs out of this thread. So dude… you literally exploded my brain with this rant. I’m, like, noticing all the fillers in my speech dude! Remember you only need a few all purpose words.
Dude…WTF.? F**k u u F**king F**k. Toats. BOAL

elkyinzer

WKR
My pet peeve is that everything runs now. It's a verb for everything apparently. I know engines run, but I've heard of running binos, backpacks, underwear, and about everything else. I don't know where the on/off switch to my underwear is so I'm not running them, I'm effing wearing them. So rant over, dudes.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Sooo… I’ve gotten several belly laughs out of this thread. So dude… you literally exploded my brain with this rant. I’m, like, noticing all the fillers in my speech dude! Remember you only need a few all purpose words.
Dude…WTF.? F**k u u F**king F**k. Toats. BOAL
Bruh. That's taut

I am an outdoor writer and after reading the OP's post, I decided to check for "so" in a tarpon piece I'm currently editing. There were a few, but taking a focused look made me change a line.

So, thanks.

TheGDog

WKR
It's that way because these were all the same people that said "Like," in front of every Got Dayum sentence they ever uttered... like the verbal crutch that it is for them. Ex: "Like, so when I'm all using my scrunchy to do my Man-Bun and junk, I like, totally have problems with my hairs getting pulled out from it. Like, so what should I do about that Jessica?"

Then... they got yelled at to freaking STOP saying "Like" all the damn time. So then they shifted their verbal/mental pause to the "So," word.

The ones that really bug the sh!t outta me are the stupid TXT mis-typings that lazy-ass people get on this campaign to turn them into a common word.

Examples: "Bae" is just a misspelling of Babe -- "Pwnage" is just a misspelling of Ownage.

When did we start playing Russian roullette with our thumbs with our freaking language people!?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
If we are opening up the spelling and grammar floodgates, I am not a fan of using "seen" without "have" or instead of "saw". "I went to unit 2x and I seen lots of elk sign." I'm not claiming to be an English expert (I was *never* able to properly diagram a sentence), but that one gets me. Another that I hear on reality TV shows (yes, I admit to the bad habit) is the possessive use of "I" - "Yes! That b*&tch was so drunk she threw up in Tammy and I's Uber!"

Last edited:
Two of my biggest pet peeve’s are the overuse of the word “like”. Like I’m really sick and like tired of like some people using the word like a dozen like times in a sentence that doesn’t even like need the word like. My other pet peeve is starting sentences with the words “I mean”. It kills me sometimes watching interviews with sports stars, particularly football, and the reporter asks a question, then the player starts off answering by saying “I mean….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to have a superintendent who said "you know what i'm saying" after at least 50 percent of his sentences. It's a mouth full though so it came out as "namsayin"

Two of my biggest pet peeve’s are the overuse of the word “like”. Like I’m really sick and like tired of like some people using the word like a dozen like times in a sentence that doesn’t even like need the word like. My other pet peeve is starting sentences with the words “I mean”. It kills me sometimes watching interviews with sports stars, particularly football, and the reporter asks a question, then the player starts off answering by saying “I mean….

Sports players and coaches also grossly overuse the word "obviously" to start their sentences.

Reporter: "Can you tell us why the offense sputtered in the 4th quarter?"

Player: "Obviously the other team's defense made some adjustments."

robtattoo

WKR
I used to have a sales manager, many moons ago, who regularly called me "To touch base & run some issues up the flagpole"

After maybe the 20th time of me immediately hanging up when "pole" left his mouth, he started to get the hint.

To this day, I cannot be in a room with someone who uses the phrase within earshot. I detest it most of all, but I detest ALL buzzword-office jargon. Say what you men, quickly & concisely or shut up.

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
So I feel like it's like kinda sus that so many gen-xers are run out of bandwidth and getting so agro about this rn. At which hour shall thee learneth the constants of our w'rld art changeth and feareth of t!

This deserved more “likes”.

Reactions: 9.1
This thread is super fun. When it’s all done I’m going to write a hunting story containing each and every sickening pet peeve here. Then I’m gonna run it up the flag pole. Throw it at the wall and see what sticks. I’m really good at English, but the bad English is where all the fun is.

Reactions: 9.1

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord