when would you use 8x42 binos?

Blaw

WKR
looking for guys that are experienced with glassing, I am in Alberta, distances I tend to glass are 1000yrds (1km) or (1/2 mile) for my american brethren.
I have seen 2 reviews from Ryan Avery and Robby Denning using Maven 8x42 binos. it has peaked my interest

I have looked through 10x42 maven c1's and would agree with everyone else it is similar to vortex viper quality.

Question is would 8x42's do well for my glassing needs? or should I go with 12x50

My goal is to leave my spotter at home I am not a trophy hunter, and here for deer it is antlerless or antlered so that is all I need to see.
My spotter is a Vortex Razor 11-33x50

Just wanting to either ditch the spotter all together, or maybe just run 12x50's (I would be using my binos on a tripod at times regardless of what I have)

Thanks!

They might be adequate but more power would be better for the distances you state. I use 6x32 or 8x32 almost all the time, only pull out 12x50 on rare occasion. To heavy to pack around and they are best with support and I don't look that far away for animals.

Don’t know your budget but at those distances at least 10 power would be better. That’s what I use for sheep and goat hunts. I was recently shopping for a new spotter and came across the Nikon Monarch HGs and was simply blown away by the razor sharp and flat edge to edge image, depth of field, and FOV — all for about $1k. Pretty sweet deal.

There was a recent review here on Rokslide.

I've gone to using 8x42's for everything. Previous years, I used 10x42's from the truck and 8's while I hunted. This year I had both my 10's and 8x42's and after a day on the tripod window mount, I put the 10's away and never got them out again.

I was spotting mule deer (what I had a tag for this year) from over a mile away pretty routinely. I think I measured one at nearly 2 miles with my OnX app. If I wanted to check antlers, I just mounted my Nikon ED50 spotter for a minute, then went back to the 8x42's. I honestly never missed the 10's and the 8's were significantly better at dawn and dusk.

If I didn't have my little ED50 spotter, I'd probably have 10's but then again maybe not. It really comes down to how good your 8's are. If they are really good at resolving detail and gather light really well (and mine are), you will actually see more critters with 8's than 10's

For what it's worth, I would never ditch my little spotter and try and run 12's by themselves. I would happily run 8's without the spotter before I'd do that, because I use binoculars 10x (maybe 20x) more than my spotter.

tdot

WKR
I am a huge fan of my 8x Swaro's, but for 1km+ I would lean towards 10x or 12x, if we are comparing comparable glass. However, I will add the caveat that I would take a higher end optic at a lesser power over a low to mid range higher power.

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I've gone to using 8x42's for everything. Previous years, I used 10x42's from the truck and 8's while I hunted. This year I had both my 10's and 8x42's and after a day on the tripod window mount, I put the 10's away and never got them out again.

I was spotting mule deer (what I had a tag for this year) from over a mile away pretty routinely. I think I measured one at nearly 2 miles with my OnX app. If I wanted to check antlers, I just mounted my Nikon ED50 spotter for a minute, then went back to the 8x42's. I honestly never missed the 10's and the 8's were significantly better at dawn and dusk.

If I didn't have my little ED50 spotter, I'd probably have 10's but then again maybe not. It really comes down to how good your 8's are. If they are really good at resolving detail and gather light really well (and mine are), you will actually see more critters with 8's than 10's

For what it's worth, I would never ditch my little spotter and try and run 12's by themselves. I would happily run 8's without the spotter before I'd do that, because I use binoculars 10x (maybe 20x) more than my spotter.

Sounds like you are doing what I am thinking. Run 8x42's then a small spotter.

Would you say that has become your best set up? and what binos do you have?

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
Don’t know your budget but at those distances at least 10 power would be better. That’s what I use for sheep and goat hunts. I was recently shopping for a new spotter and came across the Nikon Monarch HGs and was simply blown away by the razor sharp and flat edge to edge image, depth of field, and FOV — all for about $1k. Pretty sweet deal.

There was a recent review here on Rokslide.

Ill check those out! I currently have the old 10x42 diamondbacks...kinda want to try something else

I will say tho, I just threw a nikon scope on my 300wm after looking through a lot of glass...I was so surprised how good it was from what I always considered a budget brand when it came to scopes

Sounds like you are doing what I am thinking. Run 8x42's then a small spotter.

Would you say that has become your best set up? and what binos do you have?
That is now my preferred setup. With quick release plates on my window mount and lightweight tripod, it only takes me a few seconds to switch out if I really need a better look at something.

After all the binoculars I've owned over the last few years (and that's a LOT), I'm still running my Cabelas Outfitter HD 8x42's. They were made in the same plant in Japan as the Conquest HD's and I think they are the same binoculars with a different rubber skin. If I didn't have them, I'd be using Conquests.

Catahoula

WKR
I run 8x42’s. I have run 10x in the past but I wanted a slight bit more FOV. If I’m definitely glassing distance I pack in my spotter. By the way, I have family in Calgary. Good luck on your choice!

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
That is now my preferred setup. With quick release plates on my window mount and lightweight tripod, it only takes me a few seconds to switch out if I really need a better look at something.

After all the binoculars I've owned over the last few years (and that's a LOT), I'm still running my Cabelas Outfitter HD 8x42's. They were made in the same plant in Japan as the Conquest HD's and I think they are the same binoculars with a different rubber skin. If I didn't have them, I'd be using Conquests.

hmm good to know! I have heard some good things about cabelas higher end binos. I am actually looking at the maven c1's I think I saw a post you made about them? only downside was the eyecup for you?

If it was you how did they compare glass wise to your current 8x42's

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I run 8x42’s. I have run 10x in the past but I wanted a slight bit more FOV. If I’m definitely glassing distance I pack in my spotter. By the way, I have family in Calgary. Good luck on your choice!

Thanks!
its surprising how many people from calgary are on here actually! Former oil town brought a lot in!
I actually am playing with the idea of leaving and coming to the states, just not sure where I would go lol

hmm good to know! I have heard some good things about cabelas higher end binos. I am actually looking at the maven c1's I think I saw a post you made about them? only downside was the eyecup for you?

If it was you how did they compare glass wise to your current 8x42's
C1 optics are very good. Excellent resolving power. Downsides are narrow FOV and what I consider very loose eyecups that won't hold their position in the field.

A pair of C1's in 8x42 and a Nikon ED50 spotter would leave a guy not wanting for much for under $750 or so.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
The reason for the always present 8x vs 10x debate is that they both work. If one was clearly better, there would maybe only be one choice there. Personally I far prefer 8x. I find if I can't see what I need with 8x, then 10x won't be much help. At that point, I need to double the magnification, supporting the previous posts of using a small spotter. This is strictly a matter of personal preference, and your eyes are the only ones that can answer the question.

A small spotter which I have only seen briefly at a show that I'd like to try is the Opticron MMS: https://www.opticronusa.com/Pages/mms_travelscope.html. Quite small and has IS.

Maven sells excellent optics, you won't go wrong with any of their stuff. I've had it since they came out. I currently have the B1 in both 8x and 10x, the B2 in 9x45, the B 3 in 8x30, and the C 1 in 8x42. If thunder boomed, lightning flashed, and the God's decreed I could have only two out of the 40+ binoculars I have,I'd go with the B 2 in 9x and the B3 in 8x.

For whatever reasons, Maven understates their fov. Measured widths are (for me anyway) always quite a bit wider than the spec.

My C1 has uber tight eye cups and they won't move unless I move them. They are money well spent to figure out if 8x works for you without breaking the bank.

HntnFsh

FNG
I would stick with 10x42s but if your looking foe an 8x42 and small spotter talk to Doug at Cameraland. Ive seen some pretty good package deals advertised there.

HntnFsh

FNG
Reread your post and saw you are trying to get away from a spotter. I would stick with the 10x42 and find a way to mount them on a tripod or something to keep them steady.

You'll miss too much detail with the 8s; they're better suited for closer in and/or timber where you do not have a long line of site.

The 10s are better all around binoculars. Put them on a tripod and you can reliably glass further out. However, you do lose detail especially if you have to pick apart the terrain looking for parts of a deer (ex: an ear moving).

If glassing big country and really need to pick apart the terrain (not looking for perfectly broadside deer in the open at extended ranges), then go with 12s or 15s and put them on a tripod.

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
yea I am really torn as I have 10s but would like to try something else.

would you say for general meat gathering a 12x50 could replace a spotting scope and 10s? That would be sweet as I could drop a pound of weight

yea I am really torn as I have 10s but would like to try something else.

would you say for general meat gathering a 12x50 could replace a spotting scope and 10s? That would be sweet as I could drop a pound of weight

Yes.

I think it comes down to how easy it is to find your animals. Moose? Sometimes you don’t need more than 1x in our naked eyes. Arizona coues? 15x or more. It’s all a compromise. Trying a few different ones in your areas is really the only way to know what is best.