Where are my elk?

Tsnider

WKR
Looking for input from experienced guys. This is my 3rd year chasing elk.

Hot and dry in my unit! Usually opening weekend i see them all over the hillsides. This year, i got out there and nothing. Went up to 11k and saw two bulls in 5 days. Of course the elk cant reliably be in the same place every year, but there was some sign up high but not as much as normal. Im positive they are still there, i just cant seem to find them. Cows or bulls. I spent time in the deadfall and at higher elevations and saw some good sized mulies but thats about it.

This area has lots of aspens ranging from about 8k-9500. Should i be spending more time in there than up high? I just assumed with the heat that they would be up high. Glassing evenings and mornings, saw nothing.

If they have water in an grove of aspens, will they even come out at all?

FlyGuy

WKR
Boy, I really wish I could help. But with 2 years experience I'll be following the thread and praying I don't have the same issue 9 days from now.

Ryan2782

FNG
My thoughts, you're up there, there is sign, and you've seen a couple bulls, but can't find anymore or the amount you want to see. They're not there. Try lower or different drainage or...? I'm not sure how the winter was there, but if you have a heavy winter and snow stays around longer into the spring it will force the cows to calf at a lower elevation, and with plenty of food they stay at that lower area, and sure they'll move up. But why and how far if there is plenty of food, cover, and water. Bulls will move lower after breaking from the bachelor groups and rubbing off velvet to be with the cows. On the other hand, they could have been up high and for whatever reason moved lower. If you're not satisfied with what you are seeing or interactions I would try looking somewhere else.

I don't know what unit you're hunting but we were not far from Carbondale for the opener and found them right about 9500. Didn't get one down but we had some awesome encounters... including a lion hunting the same heard!

OP
Tsnider

Tsnider

WKR
I don't know what unit you're hunting but we were not far from Carbondale for the opener and found them right about 9500. Didn't get one down but we had some awesome encounters... including a lion hunting the same heard!

thats the elevation i was told by another Carbondale resident. I was just up way too high it sounds like! (as was every other hunter is seemed)

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Having the same issues here in ID def not where I found them last year. We were into elk everyday last year and I have yet to see an elk. We dropped down for tonight.... sitting and waiting with my fingers crossed

GKPrice

Banned
1st bull "man, we've got it good down here this year - lots of food, water and cover and NO predators". 2nd bull "nah, I want to go up higher where the view's better and there's more scenery" ......