Where are the Elk

what "range" are elk currently in? Are they on their summer ranger or still in their "sanctuary" as Randy calls it.. was out hiking yesterday and located several bulls around 7400ft. How long will they stay in that drainage and when do you expect them to return? 20200619_131634.jpgnot the best photo.

Beendare

WKR
The problem with scouting now...and relying on food sources....is once hunting season starts in General or OTC units.... hunter pressure in the number one factor.

So if you find them using a spot a week before the season but then a bunch of hunters roll in there close to it....POOF....gone.

____

OP
HuntInWild88
Actually he gave you some very valuable information. If you want to blow that info off, that's up to you. But if you already knew that info, you wouldn't have needed to ask the question.
Elk will always be were the food is..no matter what time of year it is. Thats a basic necessity for life.. I asked what "range" or stage they where at.
I know finding a bull now means absolutely nothing for hunting season. I'm just simply trying figure out what stage they are currently in... sanctuary or summer. And what's the difference.

OP
HuntInWild88
The problem with scouting now...and relying on food sources....is once hunting season starts in General or OTC units.... hunter pressure in the number one factor.

So if you find them using a spot a week before the season but then a bunch of hunters roll in there close to it....POOF....gone.

____
I wasn't scouting.. just hiking and happen to see bulls...do you people actually read the original post? I never said.. "if I find them 4 months before season will they still be there during season". I'm fairly new to elk...not hunting... I'm simply trying to learn the habits of elk at various times of the year..
Of course pressure during the season is going to change everything. Find elk in a slot the day before season come back two days later and they will be in a completely different drainage or in someone's freezer.

tater

WKR
For the kind of information you are looking for, check out Elk of North America-Ecology and Management by Thomas and Toweill.

It dives deeply into how food sources/terrain/and time of year all play a role in where elk end up being. Massive tome, but well worth the read.

OP
HuntInWild88
For the kind of information you are looking for, check out Elk of North America-Ecology and Management by Thomas and Toweill.

It dives deeply into how food sources/terrain/and time of year all play a role in where elk end up being. Massive tome, but well worth the read.
Thanks I'll definitely look into that. I enjoy that kind of stuff.

tjihrig

FNG
My experience: I would say they’re on what I call their summer range or pattern. The cows are on their calving grounds for the most part which is generally above tree line where in live or way down low on private hay fields. They’re basically there to drop calves all at once in a safe place with good food and water for nursing. Bulls tend to hang in bachelor groups just below them in timber. When the calves get Mobile they start down in early August. When the daylight starts to shorten, it drives the cows toward estrus and starts to dry their milk up. Bulls will follow as they go hardhorned and will break off from the other bulls. This whole cycle has a lot of variables. It seems to start earlier if there’s a high calf mortality from predators or drought because the cows will cycle earlier. The equinox is a rough estimate on the estuary cycle but it varies depending on conditions and even within a single herd. As stated above, hunting pressure is the wild card. This isn’t gospel but it’s what I’ve gathered from folks smarter than me. So it’s worth exactly what you payed for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Elk will always be were the food is..no matter what time of year it is. Thats a basic necessity for life.. I asked what "range" or stage they where at.

I was going to recommend the same book that Tater posted. What foods they're eating and which foods have the most nutrition depends on the time of year.......which will also dictate what range they are on. Hence......"a lot of information" from the original statement.

Broadhead

FNG
From my limited experience in the area I hunt, the elk do not seem to care much about elevation. I shot my bull on opening day in CO last year (8/31) at 7,200 ft. Two weeks later I went back with two buddies and they harvested a bull and a cow at 10,400 ft. Each herd is going to be doing their own thing wherever they feel safe and there is food and water. Wherever you are finding elk at now is likely at, or slightly below, where they will be in September. Once hunting pressure hits and rifles start going off, they will quickly transition to sanctuary mode.

406unltd

WKR
Depends where you are and what condition the woods are in ie snow ect. I know here they are in their summer range already and have been for a bit because of how they conditions are. Somewhere like Colorado will be a little different most likely at this point.

nowen22

FNG
Saw a herd of 30 at 10,600 ft yesterday... will I see them come season? Probably not. They are where they want to be

Wapiti1

WKR
They are in post winter season and haven't made it to summer. Rut is distinctly different. as well, then you get to post rut and finally sanctuary before the winter transition.

Summer range is 100% dependent on snowpack and rainfall. By mid-July, the grass could be crispy again ,forcing them to travel for food and water and just bed high to avoid the heat.

As others have noted, it really depends on snow pack levels and how much rain you've had up to this point.

By early Sept, they'll be where the cows love to be.

Jeremy

cnelk

WKR
I went on a 4 mile loop thru one of my September 9000’ elk areas yesterday. Elk were there. And will be come September like they typically are every year.