Where are the mid priced bows

Rob5589

WKR
It seems difficult to find bows (recurve specifically) in the 5-600 dollar range. Something between a Sage and a Stalker/BW/Bob Lee, etc. Take down, non ILF, what's out there?

GLB

WKR
Check with RMS Gear, they have a lot of used bows and good people to deal with.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
I understand buying used can save some coin. What I am trying to figure out is why there aren't bows in that mid price point.

Btaylor

WKR
Look at the wait times for bows from non-corporate builders. A guy can only build so many bows per year. Maybe he could build 20% more bows by building something like say a zebrawood riser and flat elm lams under clear glass. He can sell that bow easily for say $500. Or he can do limb splices and fancy risers and tip overlays but build 20% less bows but he charges $1,000 and still cant keep up with demand. If you are the builder which route you going?

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
I get that. I suppose the demand just isn't there. Even something like a Martin Hunter is 800+. It seems like there is cheap china stuff or high end custom, not much in the middle like compounds.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Bear Archery offers several mid priced bows. $400ish for a Grizzly, $550-$600 for a Super Kodiak and several others. From a custom bowyer (non mass produced) you're looking at a bow made of action wood or similar material. Same quality bow, you just don't get the pretty exotic woods and most of those starting prices are $750-$850.

GLB

WKR
Trad Archery is very popular right now and it never really was a cheap sport/hobby to start with. I suggest if you are just getting started I would buy used for awhile to figure out what you like and what works for you.

Then with that wisdom learned you can go full custom for you. If you love it like I do, it will be money well spent.

Wrench

WKR
They're expensive because it's worth it. Grab a Chinese bow and a stalker and it explains itself. When the limb tips fly off....the finish sucks and the tiller is anything but predictable.....there's a reason.

Ilf changes the game because they can cnc them in a minute.

You can have a nice used custom for $650-700.

oldgoat

WKR
My first custom was I think $475, that was about eleven years ago, longbow, can you say hand shock bad enough to give my wife tennis elbow, that was last time I owned a mid priced custom! Have owned a few mid priced production bows like Trad Tech, they were pretty decent.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know if you have anything comparable on the west coast, but if there are any trad shoots like Compton's or ETAR in the east, you can find all the bows you could possibly want either in the tents or on the trade blankets. The blankets are where the deals are, and usually the owners will let you shoot them before you drop big coins on them. If that's not an option either FB, bowsite's leatherwall or Tradgang used to be good places to shop.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
What kind of bite are you looking for? ILF, longbow, recurve?
In general, a nicer recurve in the 500 dollar range, take down, 64", 40-42lbs at 28". The intent of my post was simply my observation of how few bows with that criteria exist. I'm thinking now that an ilf (wood riser) may be the way to go for what I am looking for.

Btaylor

WKR
In general, a nicer recurve in the 500 dollar range, take down, 64", 40-42lbs at 28". The intent of my post was simply my observation of how few bows with that criteria exist. I'm thinking now that an ilf (wood riser) may be the way to go for what I am looking for.
I did that a couple years ago. I got the Bearpaw Penthalon riser and paired it with a set of DAS longbow limbs. I think you would have to go to a 19" riser to hit 64" though. I am thinking about getting a set of recurve limbs to go with it now.

Tartan

WKR
I think generally at that price point you're going to be looking at a mass produced bow with fit and finish maybe being a little better than the sage. There likely isn't enough margin for most small time bowyers to make a living. Low margin means higher volume and you don't see many small shops pushing out high volume.

A quick look through 3 rivers and lancaster shows several wood bows in that $300-500 price range. The old mountain mesa gets good reviews (coming in under your price range). Bear has several in that range, but the quality control seems to be very bad.

The only one I have any experience with and can recommend in this mid-price range is kegan at omega longbows

Going up to 700 - 800 and you start to see more options.

As stated, a used bow is probably the best bang for your buck in the mid-price range. Or, a wood ilf riser and low end ilf limbs will get you in that price range with performance equal to or better than many custom bows.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
I did that a couple years ago. I got the Bearpaw Penthalon riser and paired it with a set of DAS longbow limbs. I think you would have to go to a 19" riser to hit 64" though. I am thinking about getting a set of recurve limbs to go with it now.
For sure a 19" riser with longs.